DISTURBING

We recently participated in a group power trail hunt of lame micros on stop signs and lamp post skirts, an afternoon to get up the numbers, no big deal.

But one cache was on the edge of a private golf course, easily accessed by a public road. The cache in question was in a tree, surrounded by a flower bed. The plants were about waist high, thick and in full bloom. Five different geocachers crashed into them stomping them down with no apparent concern.

I stood there astounded and flabbergasted (the technical term for it). I just couldn't believe it. When I politely (not easy for me) objected, , one of them, apparently a certified herbalogist, stated with authority, "It's OK, they're not native species!"

I couldn't believe my ears. No they're not protected weeds, you moron, they've been planted here by the grounds crew, who waters and fertilizes them, I thought to myself.. (They ringed the perimeter of the part of the course we could see).

They were quite beautiful. not so much now.

This is the kind of crap that gets geocaching banned from locations and gives the hobby a bad reputation.

These weren't kids either, they were adults and seasoned cachers.

Thank goodness this is not the typical behavior on the part of cachers we have encountered over the years.

I didn't object further, since the damage was already done, and old age is not helping my bar fighting skills any plus no chairs to throw, but I have no respect for these people now, and doubt if I'll cache with this group again. Just getting it off my chest. --TR

We recently participated in a group power trail hunt of lame micros on stop signs and lamp post skirts, an afternoon to get up the numbers, no big deal.

But one cache was on the edge of a private golf course, easily accessed by a public road. The cache in question was in a tree, surrounded by a flower bed. The plants were about waist high, thick and in full bloom. Five different geocachers crashed into them stomping them down with no apparent concern.

I stood there astounded and flabbergasted (the technical term for it). I just couldn't believe it. When I politely (not easy for me) objected, , one of them, apparently a certified herbalogist, stated with authority, "It's OK, they're not native species!"

I couldn't believe my ears. No they're not protected weeds, you moron, they've been planted here by the grounds crew, who waters and fertilizes them, I thought to myself.. (They ringed the perimeter of the part of the course we could see).

This is the kind of crap that gets geocaching banned from locations and gives the hobby a bad reputation.

Thank goodness this is not the typical behavior on the part of cachers we have encountered over the years.

I didn't object further, since the damage was already done, and old age is not helping my bar fighting skills any plus no chairs to throw, but I have no respect for these people now, and doubt if I'll cache with this group again. Just getting it off my chest. --TR

This is the reason I always carry a sidearm when I geocache.

That tends to happen with geocaches placed without landowner permission. It may be a good idea to stick to caches placed in state/county/local parks.

What is the ID number of the cache?

What is the ID number of the cache.. are we vigilante?

The OP should calmly contact the CO about the situation, never cache with that group again, and then move on. All other parties outside of the OP, CO, reviewer, and golf course, should stop meddling and mind their own business.

"The OP should calmly contact the CO about the situation, never cache with that group again, and then move on. All other parties outside of the OP, CO, reviewer, and golf course, should stop meddling and mind their own business."

Yeah, well if the OP wanted that they shouldn't have posted it up on a forum. Whose business were you minding with that post, bflentje? Seems like you had some input there yourself on what should be done. Or not done. :)

What is the ID number of the cache.. are we vigilante?

The OP should calmly contact the CO about the situation, never cache with that group again, and then move on. All other parties outside of the OP, CO, reviewer, and golf course, should stop meddling and mind their own business.

The people who try to avoid caches like that are trying to mind their own business.

Wow. You really need a better set of friends.

That tends to happen with geocaches placed without landowner permission. It may be a good idea to stick to caches placed in state/county/local parks.

It's not an issue of permission, it's a question of responsibility. Needlessly trampling landscaping is irresponsible behavior whether or not the cache has express permission.

It's not an issue of permission, it's a question of responsibility. Needlessly trampling landscaping is irresponsible behavior whether or not the cache has express permission.

If a cacher seeks permission, the landowner has the opportunity to make sure the location won't jeopardize something else. Responsibility begins with permission.

Edited by dbrierley

If a cacher seeks permission, the landowner has the opportunity to make sure the location won't jeopardize something else. Responsibility begins with permission.

Maybe. But it doesn't end with permission. The cachers doing the trouncing need to be trounced. Getting the GC number and making your own comment, no matter how benign or snotty, is not productive. In my opinion, self appointed cache cops are just as irritating as irresponsible cachers, as a hider or a seeker.

making your own comment, no matter how benign or snotty, is not productive.

Perhaps you should practice what you preach.

My comments fall under the context of this conversation, which is totally relevant. Too bad you trimmed out what I really said. Your comment is the result of you knowing that I am correct but not wanting to admit it.

My comments fall under the context of this conversation, which is totally relevant. Too bad you trimmed out what I really said. Your comment is the result of you knowing that I am correct but not wanting to admit it.

All the comments are relevant.

You said: "Maybe. But it doesn't end with permission. The cachers doing the trouncing need to be trounced."

No one has disagreed with that.

You said: "In my opinion, self appointed cache cops are just as irritating as irresponsible cachers, as a hider or a seeker."

The label of "cache cops" is a misnomer. Only the reviewers and cache owners can do anything about cache listings. The rest of us can try to avoid caches that might be problems.

This would make me upset too. I agree with others when I say contact the cache owner, don't cache with those people, and get back to having fun! Unfortunately there's not much else you can do.

By bringing this issue to our attention, though, the OP has already done something. All of us can be a little bit more aware the next time we're in a similar situation. Maybe even some of "those people" will get it now too.

The scene would have been a complete and utter failure if the cacher saying it was OK, because they are non-native species, was wearing a 'Leave No Trace' shirt. :)

When I participate in a parks project to eradicate French Broom plants, it is with the park fully behind me. When I go stomping on African Ice Plant on the dunes, it's at my own discretion, can people see the difference? If I want to constructively remove African Ice Plant then I should join the volunteer program for the park the dunes are in and work WITH the parks, not on my own. I give a bad name to the game when I'm seen being destructive - regardless of native or non-native species.

Give that CO a smack with a wet squid for placing it there.

All the comments are relevant.

You said: "Maybe. But it doesn't end with permission. The cachers doing the trouncing need to be trounced."

No one has disagreed with that.

You said: "In my opinion, self appointed cache cops are just as irritating as irresponsible cachers, as a hider or a seeker."

The label of "cache cops" is a misnomer. Only the reviewers and cache owners can do anything about cache listings. The rest of us can try to avoid caches that might be problems.

Ok then, what did you REALLY want with the GC number then? Afterall, Boston is not exactly flyover territory.

Edited by bflentje

Ok then, what did you REALLY want with the GC number then? Afterall, Boston is not exactly flyover territory.

To see what the cache description says and put the situation in perspective. Perhaps the description mentioned a warning about the plants.

Anyway, some cachers in the area might want to be aware of the particular cache, either to avoid it or to be extra careful in finding it.

To see what the cache description says and put the situation in perspective. Perhaps the description mentioned a warning about the plants.

Anyway, some cachers in the area might want to be aware of the particular cache, either to avoid it or to be extra careful in finding it.

A situation like this has nothing to do with what may or may not be on the cache page, unless perhaps the cache page specifically says, "Its OK to trample the flowers". If it doesn't say that, then you just don't do it.

I would send a note to the CO stating my concerns.

If there is no response or a 'who cares' response. I would take a photo of the trampled flowers and post the picture on my log or note with the caption "This used to be a nice flowerbed before the geocache was placed here".

It will probably be deleteted right away but it might get your point across.

A situation like this has nothing to do with what may or may not be on the cache page, unless perhaps the cache page specifically says, "Its OK to trample the flowers". If it doesn't say that, then you just don't do it.

More to the point, if it's not on the CO's own property I wouldn't trample flowers, weeds, etc. Even if it were I'd avoid trampling plants, even if it's Kudzu, I'm no free-lance plant trampler! :)

"The OP should calmly contact the CO about the situation, never cache with that group again, and then move on. All other parties outside of the OP, CO, reviewer, and golf course, should stop meddling and mind their own business."

Yeah, well if the OP wanted that they shouldn't have posted it up on a forum. Whose business were you minding with that post, bflentje? Seems like you had some input there yourself on what should be done. Or not done. :)

The OP is reporting in the forums because they witnessed behavior by cachers which is unacceptable. While the best way to deal with this particular cache is let the CO know the cache may be causing an issue and perhaps to follow this up with the reviewer if the CO takes no action. It seems reasonable to start a discussion in the forum as to whether trampling a landscaped flower bed is ever acceptable. It seems that so far we have unanimous agreement in the forum that it isn't. We all know from previous examples that there are some geocachers to fail to grasp the idea that you can't just go destroying someone property to find a cache (whether or not permission was given to place a cache on the property). All we can do is to try educate these geocachers. In some instances, moving the cache (or even archiving it) is the only way to stop the idiots who will destroy something for a find.

Unfortunately, this example will be use by people who don't like power trails. However, I've seen more issues with individual caches in or near flower beds than I've seen with power trails. Power trail caches are usually hidden in simple repetative ways, so when you get to one near some lanscaping, you can easily spot the cache and know it's not in the flower bed. (If this cache was in fact in the flower bed, the owner should move it).

Unfortunately, this example will be use by people who don't like power trails.

Your post is the only one to mention power trails. :)

If a cacher is irresponsible, the power trail doesn't have anything to do with it.

However, I've seen more issues with individual caches in or near flower beds than I've seen with power trails. Power trail caches are usually hidden in simple repetative ways, so when you get to one near some lanscaping, you can easily spot the cache and know it's not in the flower bed. (If this cache was in fact in the flower bed, the owner should move it).

I agree.

Your position appears to be that cache seekers have no personable responsibility for their actions. The problems with this position are many.

Here's just one: What if the cache had not been in the tree? What if it was conceled in a corner of teh planter? The seekers would still have likely trampled the flowers frisking the tree.

At the end of the day, every geocacher is responsible for his own actions.

A situation like this has nothing to do with what may or may not be on the cache page...

I would say that the contents of the cache page are kinda relevant to this discussion. By reading the cache page, we could make some guesses regarding the cache owner's motivation in placing a cache in an area where landscaping damage is a likely result. Armed with the GC #, we could, with a few mouse clicks, determine if the owner was suffering from apathy or ignorance.

So it was the long weekend and I was visiting with family from out of town. So we decided to head to Turkey Run State park for an outing to pick up Indiana's oldest cache & I was excited to share this Indiana gem with them. Imagine my embarrassment when walking along Rocky Hollow & there are two people chipping their names into the rock wall! After a quick confrontation (during which the species of my parents was called into question) they took off. Then as we hiked the trail I picked up 14 plastic water bottles (ironically their labels touted their new "earth friendly" design). Needless to say I was sick at heart. My friends the DNR people can't be everywhere, don't do anything that will get you or someone else hurt, but we need to take a stand when we see someone ruining our parks. If you see someone doing something stupid do don't just stand by.

Edited by hoosier guy
A situation like this has nothing to do with what may or may not be on the cache page...

I would say that the contents of the cache page are kinda relevant to this discussion. By reading the cache page, we could make some guesses regarding the cache owner's motivation in placing a cache in an area where landscaping damage is a likely result. Armed with the GC #, we could, with a few mouse clicks, determine if the owner was suffering from apathy or ignorance.

So, once we learn the CO is either apathetic or ignorant, what then? It would be the OP's responsibility to mention it to the CO, reviewer or property owner, not yours. The only purpose it would serve ANYONE outside of those four parties is to give you (the collective you) a larger smug, arrogant, or holier-than-thou, attitude.

Your position appears to be that cache seekers have no personable responsibility for their actions. The problems with this position are many.

Here's just one: What if the cache had not been in the tree? What if it was conceled in a corner of teh planter? The seekers would still have likely trampled the flowers frisking the tree.

To the contrary, responsibility includes respect for the property of others, whether it is flowers or the land itself. That respect includes getting permission from the landowner and continues all the way through the finders' actions. Placing a cache without permission is bad enough (if that is the case here); vandalism makes it even worse.

So it was the long weekend and I was visiting with family from out of town. So we decided to head to Turkey Run State park for an outing to pick up Indiana's oldest cache & I was excited to share this Indiana gem with them. Imagine my embarrassment when walking along Rocky Hollow & there are two people chipping their names into the rock wall! After a quick confrontation (during which the species of my parents was called into question) they took off. Then as we hiked the trail I picked up 14 plastic water bottles (ironically their labels touted their new "earth friendly" design). Needless to say I was sick at heart. My friends the DNR people can't be everywhere, don't do anything that will get you or someone else hurt, but we need to take a stand when we see someone ruining our parks. If you see someone doing something stupid do don't just stand by.

There is a petroglyph in Valley of Fire State Park just outside of Vegas that someone named Ike felt the need to deface. I would very much like to provide Ike with a bit of old school Texas justice for his efforts.

I would send a note to the CO stating my concerns.

If there is no response or a 'who cares' response. I would take a photo of the trampled flowers and post the picture on my log or note with the caption "This used to be a nice flowerbed before the geocache was placed here".

It will probably be deleteted right away but it might get your point across.

I would think the caption should be something like "this used to be a nice flowerbed before a group of irresponsible cachers trashed it", but that could just be my take on the whole thing.

Many caches are placed in areas that require a bit of respect for the environment and landscaping. The real problem here is the group caching mentality that seems to take over. Individual cachers rarely engage in behavior as described in the OP but groups of cachers do it far too often.

This is the reason I always carry a sidearm when I geocache.

That made me laugh out loud.. :) "I carry a firearm, so if have to, I can shoot the people I cache with" :)

Hiders are responsible for ensuring that they have "adequate permission" for a cache placement and for not placing a cache in an area where it is foreseeable that the landscaping will be damaged. (Its hard to imagine having adequate permission to place a cache in an area where landscaping is likely to be damaged.) Finders are also responsible for not damaging the landscaping, even if it means the cache must be ignored.

It is possible that the original hide was placed before the landscaping was done, in which case an email to the cache owner might help alleviate the problem. But I would also post information about the landscaping problem as a note (and not log the cache in as a find) if I felt that there were problems with the location.

Edited by mulvaney

There is a petroglyph in Valley of Fire State Park just outside of Vegas that someone named Ike felt the need to deface. I would very much like to provide Ike with a bit of old school Texas justice for his efforts.

Hope ya get the chance. I can not stand that kind of thing.

So, once we learn the CO is either apathetic or ignorant, what then?

Then, with more informed opinions, people can decide to add the cache owner's caches to their ignore lists - if they choose.

Or, more to the point, they can as careful at that cache owner's caches and every other cache as they always should be. Unless the cache owner says on the cache page "This is my land and my flowerbed and I encourage you... yeah, PLEAD with you... to trample the bejeezers out the flowers" then it matters not one bit who the cache owner is. It matters who the cachers are. Blaming cacher's behavior on poorly placed caches is a poor excuse for bad behavior.

I would e-mail the cache owner and let them know what happened. I know I would be more than a little embarrassed if I placed a cache after getting permission from a land owner only to have a bunch of cache finders trample over some landscaping. I would also be hugely apologetic to the land owner since I likely explained the game in away that made it appear there would be limited damage to their property and since the property owner was nice enough to let me use their land for my game. Maybe the cache owner didn't know a cache in that area might lead to destruction. Maybe the landscaping showed up afterwards but either way the cache owner should know so they can figure out a way to make peace with the property owner and help maintain a good public image for geocaching (which apparently the other finders were indifferent to).

I was looking for a cache once with very soft coordinates and it was evident that I may have to go tromping around in landscaping. I stopped immediately looking for that cache. If I can't get in and otu without destroying someone's property or damaging it I don't want to do it.

oNE OF THE THINGS THAT IRKS US *oops* is folks (not just geocachers) temporarilyparking their three-ton SUV's on parkstrips (that portion of lawn between street and sidewalk). I'm not talking about on a highway, I mean in residential neighborhoods. Do these inconsiderate cretins think that lawns just grow that way naturally? Somebody, homeowners, neighborhood associations, etc. ultimately pays to water, fertilize, pest and weed control and mow these areas. But people will park there just to avoid walking a few steps. I guess they're afra :P id their fat asses will shed a few pounds...

There is enough blame to go around. A few thoughtless cachers wrecked the flowerbed AND the CO placed a cache in an area that couldn't handle the few bad cachers that we all know are out there.

The owner does bear part of the blame. Place a cache where people have to walk through a flower bed or a similarly fragile area, even the most careful geocachers may accidentally step wrong.

Cache owners need to consider that not every geocacher will be careful when hunting the cache and make sure the area can handle a worst case scenario.