Woohoo! Road trip! Leicester, Nottingham, Lincoln, Boston, Peterborough

Hi all

We have managed to wangle ourselves a child free weekend at Halloween, which is a rare and beautiful thing :)

We’d like to go away for the weekend, just because we can :) And the only definite place we have to be at any point is in Peterborough by 5pm on the Sunday evening, as our local ice hockey team are there that evening to take on the Peterborough Phantoms, and it would be nice to give them a bit of support as that’s an away game that not many Swindon fans travel to (bit of a trek)

So the rest of the weekend is free for exploring, sightseeing, and of course some geocaching!

Can you guys recommend any must see places of interest and drop dead brilliant must do caches anywhere along our route?

(plan is to drive up to Lincoln on the Saturday morning, probably stopping off somewhere along the way for a couple of hours to break up the journey – we’ll be passing by Coventry, Leicester, Nottingham).

I fancy doing the ghost walk in Lincoln on Saturday evening, as it’ll be Halloween Eve, and then hitting the pubs (pub recommendations please :))

Then staying the night in Lincoln somewhere. and sightseeing in/around Lincoln the next day before driving down to Peterborough via Boston.

We’ve got National Trust membership, so I’ve earmarked Tattershall Castle as a possibility, but that’s about it so far.

Now, bearing in mind it could well be rather cold and wet by then, I’d kind of like to have “rainy day” backup plans – so a mix of country and city caches / interesting places to visit would be good.

All advice will be most gratefully received, thank you

Sarah & Jay

Leicester -north of Leicester City- Bradgate Park.

Good Old John http://coord.info/GCMFH3

Or any/all of the others in/around Bradgate Park.

(The Park is very popular, especially at weekends and good weather -beware MUGGLES by the boatload!)

I've had Lady Jane Grey's cache http://coord.info/GCMDTQ on my "To Do" list for years... Never had time to do it when I did Old John.

Park website

Also some nice info/history on the park on Wiki

Leicester -north of Leicester City- Bradgate Park.

Good Old John http://coord.info/GCMFH3

Or any/all of the others in/around Bradgate Park.

(The Park is very popular, especially at weekends and good weather -beware MUGGLES by the boatload!)

I've had Lady Jane Grey's cache http://coord.info/GCMDTQ on my "To Do" list for years... Never had time to do it when I did Old John.

Park website

Also some nice info/history on the park on Wiki

oh they look good - ta - I love follies and ruins :)

Hi,

there's quite a few in Lincoln itself. There are a few uphill Lincoln, all of differing degrees of difficulty and then drop down to the city centre and try a few more there. These are quite challenging as some of them are in high muggle areas and require maximun stealth.

Also there are a lot of circuit type walks just outside Lincoln offering some lovely country walks, if this is your cup of tea, then look at possibly the Nocton series, Potter around Potterhanworth woods or the One hundrend and six series based around the old Metheringham airfield.

Hope this helps,

Steve alias Sage the owl

Edited by Sagetheowl

fab info Jacaru and Sage, thank you both

I'm looking forward to planning this trip (sometimes I think I enjoy the planning more than the trip itself <_< )

I can recommend the Wellow Woods Nature Trail (GC1XTYN) series of caches and a few others nearby in the woods near Ollerton in Nottinghamshire. Some really interesting containers & locations!

Jacaru & Northking's cache's are always well thought out.

Jacaru's ones at Colwick Park are enjoyable, Colwick woods is too, but more difficult.

There's a series in Gonalston (Romp around Gonalston GC1MHJP) which is a nice circular walk, and I did one just yesterday around Hoveringham (Hike around Hoveringham GC1QNVE), part of which is alongside the trent with I really enjoyed.

And if you want to try and find a really tricky one, try Going for Ground (GC20713), which although not in the countryside will have you hunting for a while (well it certainly did for us!)

Ben

Mr. Rabble