What am I doing wrong

tuts12502

I have only found 2 out of 5 or 6 caches? I am a newbie so I only picked the easy ones 1.5/1.5 and still can't find them. My GPS says I'm right on top of them and I search the whole area and still no luck! Or Other people have said it was an easy find they could find even in nice clothes while I'm trudging through brush and crap? Please give me any newbie tips you think might help. If it was just me it wouldn't be a big deal but I drag my 3 kids along for these and they are getting bored since we can't find most of them.

Thanks!!!!!

Don't give up hope, Here are some tip that was passed on to us as we were starting out on this really cool hobby.

Any obvious land mark or obvious hiding place at the referenced coordinates. Think Big Tree with a hole in the side, or a big log laying on the ground.

Start out easy. Look for regular size caches to start off with. Try to avoid those listed as micro initially. Also stick to caches in the parks and woods initially.

Hope this help. :)

I have only found 2 out of 5 or 6 caches? I am a newbie so I only picked the easy ones 1.5/1.5 and still can't find them. My GPS says I'm right on top of them and I search the whole area and still no luck! Or Other people have said it was an easy find they could find even in nice clothes while I'm trudging through brush and crap? Please give me any newbie tips you think might help. If it was just me it wouldn't be a big deal but I drag my 3 kids along for these and they are getting bored since we can't find most of them.

Thanks!!!!!

You found some? :::: jealous :::::

I'd say you are doing great.

My first day out I think I was 1 for 4. And we only found the one we did after going back home, looking up the GC code, and combing through the logs for clues.

Trudging through brush and sticker bushes and bugs is part of the FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!

Aren't you just having FUN?????

Perhaps reading some of these posts will help you feel better:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=259149

Keep at it! Focus on large caches / easy terrain / easy difficulty at first, then graduate to the harder stuff. Research the caches ahead of time. I did this, carefully planning which caches to visit, reading the logs, etc., and I found 3 out of 4 when my son and I went out a few days ago.

Thanks!!!!!

Sounds about right! When I started out I'd find less than 50% of the caches that I'd set out to look for. These days I haven't had a DNF for ages.

But keep going as you find more caches you'll start to get your "cachers eye" and learn how hides are carried out. I've found the most important skill at least in a non-urban setting is being able to spot cache camouflage. You walk to a tree which looks entirely normal - but why is there a rock propped up there? : :) . Even the smallest of things like a stick that looks slightly out of place, could be the cache hiding place!

Learning your GPS is important too. I started out by trying to match coordinates on my TomTom unit, which didn't work at all!

Edited by markhewitt1978

I had the same propblem. When you start out, I suggest looking for larger caches that have been recently found. Nanos and Micros can give you hell, don't try too many of them at first. Go at those little guys slowly so you don't get frustrated....read the logs to get some hints. After you have a few under your belt...and a few tricks up your sleve...they get easier.

Sounds like you might be paying too much attention to your GPS. Even if it says you are right on top of the cache it doesn't mean that you are. Your GPS has a error of about 10-30 feet. So did the GPS of the hider. So the cache can conceivably be 30, 40, 50 or more feet from where your GPS is telling you it is.

Expand your search area and think more about where you would hide something in that area than what your GPS is telling you.

And as others suggested, stick with regular sized caches at first. Micros can give even experienced geoachers fits.

Keep your eyes open for a pile of sticks that doesn't look natural, for a "cachers' trail," and think "where would I hide it?" Don't give up...you'll find that you will get in tune with your geosenses soon enough! Some hides can be tricky - even those that are in plain view. We had one of those yesterday - learn from us, and read the cache description thoroughly even if it goes to two pages. I missed a crucial part about the cache we were after being placed with help and permission from the structure owner. My caching partner needn't have scrambled down the rocks - my bad!

Also bear in mind that your GPSr will only get you to the area...you may have to widen your search radius. When the search stops being fun, go onto the next cache.

Good luck, and you will find them, I promise!

Food for thought for finds in the city:

http://www.factsfacts.com/images/LightPoleCache.jpg

I found 2 this way within a quarter mile of each other.

I believe a guy hid a light pole cache that's one of my DNRs. asked him to clarify spot but he won't reply. don;t give up hope. as you see more & more it gets easier & easier. and yes, this is coming from another newbie. main thing is TRY TO HAVE FUN. not always easy to do when you're hot, dirty, bloody & cacheless. a sense of humor is so totally necessary if you're going to be doing this.

if you're enjoying yourself, don't quit! :)

Thanks!!!!!

I'm new myself and have found 2 caches, both of which took me two tries. In one case it took re-searching the same area I had searched before, in the other I had to expand my search area. Moral? I concur with the other posts, it takes practice.

You might consider going out with a more experienced cacher also, if someone is available. Good luck.

Hey, tuts.

The caches in the northern part of the Crow-Hassan park are generally pretty easy, if you don't mind walking a lot between caches. It's really pretty there and now that it's cooler it's a great place to go.

Keep at it. Soon you'll learn to spot what we Minnesotans call the "beacons" (fallen trees, stumps, trees with holes in them, etc.) and make more finds. I cache with my wife, who is very good at finding hides. She doesn't have the GPS distracting her, so as soon as I say "we're within 20 feet" she jets to the nearest beacons and starts looking. She's responsible for about 70% of our finds so far.

The micro and nano caches get pretty tough - especially when the Cache Owner decides to put them somewhere other than the usual beacons.

The MnGCA is a good and helpful community. Check them out.

Edited by JJnTJ

Well today I found 2 out of 3, I would have gone for more but I ran out of sunlight. I have another question though. I've looked for one cache 3 times now and can't find it. There is a very obvious lightpole near the area and it'a a perfect place to hide a cache but I didn't see anything anywhere around there. Is it possible to contact the hider and ask for a clue?

I started out caching with someone who had been doing it a while.

I don't think I would have kept caching otherwise.

I don't think I found any out of the first 20.

I did a great job of observing!!

I learned enough to keep going.

Try the forums for your geographical area and see if there are people you can go out with to "show you the ropes"

It makes a big difference to have someone SHOW you rather than just tell you how to do it.

There are often people looking for caching friends

Well today I found 2 out of 3

Looks like you found "Silver of Georgius VI", and if you found that one I'd say you're doing well. We found that one just before you yesterday. :yikes:

Most of the cache owners I've contacted have been happy to help. To contact them, just click on their name at the top of the cache page ("A cache by _________") and click on "Send Message" on their contact page.

i know when i hid my cache i set my g/zero but hid it about 15 ft. away just for the challange, so do and some don't.

I can't think of word to describe this that would meet with the approval of the moderators.

From the guidelines:

Once you arrive at the location of your hide, it is critical to obtain accurate GPS coordinates. This is the very heart of the activity, after all.

I think it's a [bleep] thing to do, but you're certainly not the only one. I've got one cacher in our area that does this on certain caches. I don't like it, but in an urban environment it usually doesn't add much level of difficulty.

ALWAYS use accurate coordinates. If you don't like that, place your caches in places where its hard to get a good GPS reading or use better concealment.

Using bad coordinates a poor man's way to make a cache challenging. There are better ways.

Thanks!!!!!

Some of this is getting used to the Geocaching mentality :anicute:

I've had an interest for a while and just started out myself. I had a bit of a tutorial when I visited a Geocaching friend in another state before I started here. We went out on a nearby trail that had four caches hidden along it. The first day we only found one. I read the logs and the hints and it was still driving me crazy. Today we went out and I found two more of these after having a bit more experience. One is still eluding me, and all the logs seem to say how easy they are and how people just walk up and see them.

Don't get discouraged! Try to triangulate the location. Walk away and come at it from a different angle if you can. Coordinates in the woods can be off quite a bit with the GPS signal bouncing around. I've been completely on the other side of a trail from where the cache actually was. Sometimes the descriptions aren't as helpful as you'd think. One of the issues I had with one of the finds today was that it said we didn't have to bushwack to get to it so I thought it would be right on the trail and it wasn't.

There's nothing wrong with walking away from a cache if it's too frustrating. There's always next time.

Patti :D

I'll walk away from caches and come back later. Some caches I've had many many visits to before I ultimately found them. I will walk away from a cache when it stops being fun and just let it lie for awhile.

One day this summer I went out and it was so hot and humid. I was pretty dehydrated if not starting to get a nice little case of heat exhaustion or something. I only found a small fraction of the caches that day. Went back sometime later and easily found all the ones I didn't find and then some.

The more you use that part of the brain the better you'll get at it. Sometimes it takes awhile for it all to really click in.

Is it possible to contact the hider and ask for a clue?

Sure you can ask. Most cache owners are happy enough to give out a helping clue or two. You can also "phone a friend" (PAF) -another cacher who has already found it, although some would say they'd prefer you to contact the owner. However, I will say there is nothing like the satisfaction of finally finding that oh-so-elusive cache on your own. We had one cache on our DNF list for quite a while and looked for it more times than I'd like to admit but we finally did find it and man, it was sweet. :) The most important part of all of this is have a good time.