Premium Member Only Caches

What is the purpose of the Premium Member Only Option ? I understand that Geocaching.com requires a paid membership for services beyond basic (GPX files ect.) but I don't understand why anyone placing a cache would want to exclude everyone but members. How does this promote the sport.... I placed several caches a few years ago and the remaining one is member only, don't know why. It was not intentional, and I have been unable to find a way to change it.

I am not being sarcastic here.. I really don't understand how this option benefits anyone ?

Some people live in sensitive areas and making their caches PMO lessens the risk for the area to be destroyed, at least in their mind's eye. Do I think this is true? Could be. I had a PMO cache for a while because the container itself was fragile, and I wanted to see how PMs would treat it first. I have recently opened it up to all.

I think the reasoning behind this is that PMs care enough to purchase the membership, and many of them are more experienced cachers, and therefore more often than not this means that they will be more careful with certain caches, stealth and locations.

Are there exceptions to this rule? Of course!! There are many regular cachers who are just as caring, if not more caring than some PMs. I don't agree with this concept for the most part.

I think that cachers in general are caring respectful and conscientious people; of course there are exceptions to that rule as well.

As I'm sure you well know, the more people who do something, the more potential for variation, and the more potential for things to go wrong (or right).

I'm sure that other PMs have their reasons for making caches PM and that's okay with me. It's their choice as the cache owner. Who am I to get upset by it?

As for changing your PM cache to a non PM cache, go to edit your listing and there is a check box below the "cache placed by" field that says

"Check if you only want Premium and Charter Members to view this cache."

Make sure that box is unchecked, and save. You should be good to go.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

Presumably since they have paid to be a member they are less likely to pirate the cache. There are some people who find caches only to smash and destroy them. Most of these people won't buy a membership.

Good answer! Especially from someone who joined 6 months ago and in this year. That is exactly the one and only reason they were created. Many (like myself) think it's not effective anyways, and reeks of elitism, and this one small "feature" (among dozens of features) of a premium membership should disappear. But no matter, que the inevitable "Pony up the 10.13 cents/day and support the website" responses. :)

Besides that, they're OK though. ;)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

I completely agree with all of the opinions. I think it is a moneygrab by Groundspeak. My wife and I got into this hobby as a FREE way to get outside with the kids. I really think having to pay to see some caches kinda goes against what caching was started for, in my eyes. I am just a newbie with less than a year in, but we've found over 300 regular caches and are kinda running out in our local area.

Maybe if a cache had to be rated and once it reached a certain point, then it could be moved to a Premium. I just don't see a reason to pay $30/year to find more LPCs. From what I've seen, that's what many of them are. There are a couple of TB Hotels in the area that are premiums, but we find enough without it.

Anyway, to me, it seems to go against the ideals of geocaching, but it is up to the owners. For me, even if I do pony up the cash to upgrade, I'll never make one of mine Premium, I want as many people as possible to find mine!!

I just don't see a reason to pay $30/year to find more LPCs. From what I've seen, that's what many of them are. There are a couple of TB Hotels in the area that are premiums, but we find enough without it.

i highly doubt it anyone would make an LPC a PMO cache

other than that, the number of PMO caches is very small, of course you're not a PM member so technically you can show me any examples

you don't have to find all the caches, you know?

is that all you got from reading what the benefits of PM are that you get to see PMO caches?

sure you picked up geocaching as a FREE hobby, but in order for you to enjoy it massive amounts of resources are needed that cost money yet nobody is forcing you to pay $30 a year to support GC instead you are FREE to enjoy it for FREE, so please don't complain about one of the perks i get as a PM, although i have not made any of my caches PMO

Edited by t4e

I completely agree with all of the opinions. I think it is a moneygrab by Groundspeak. My wife and I got into this hobby as a FREE way to get outside with the kids. I really think having to pay to see some caches kinda goes against what caching was started for, in my eyes. I am just a newbie with less than a year in, but we've found over 300 regular caches and are kinda running out in our local area.

Maybe if a cache had to be rated and once it reached a certain point, then it could be moved to a Premium. I just don't see a reason to pay $30/year to find more LPCs. From what I've seen, that's what many of them are. There are a couple of TB Hotels in the area that are premiums, but we find enough without it.

Anyway, to me, it seems to go against the ideals of geocaching, but it is up to the owners. For me, even if I do pony up the cash to upgrade, I'll never make one of mine Premium, I want as many people as possible to find mine!!

Money grab? Really? If Groundspeak doesn't make enough to meet expenses, you won't have your *free* outdoor activity.

Money grab? Really? If Groundspeak doesn't make enough to meet expenses, you won't have your *free* outdoor activity.

A money grab from Groundspeak? Do you have any idea how many people and high end computers must be used to keep geocaching going around the world? I am a premium member because I appreciate the fact that this is a cheap hobby and $30 helps to support it and the people who make it possible. I also don't make my caches premium only. I'd pay double for all the benefits and for the fun. I mean $30 a year? That's 3 movies...or 10 cups of coffee. I'd say a bargain for the fun I have.

The ability to do "Pocket Queries" (at least for me) is well worth the $30 membership fee.

I agree completely.

As far as the caches go... every premium member only cache I have done in my area has been a higher quality cache.

I like being able to find a cache that normal members can't because it is one extra perk for something I already plan to keep paying for.

I just don't see a reason to pay $30/year to find more LPCs. From what I've seen, that's what many of them are. There are a couple of TB Hotels in the area that are premiums, but we find enough without it.

other than that, the number of PMO caches is very small, of course you're not a PM member so technically you can show me any examples

you don't have to find all the caches, you know?

is that all you got from reading what the benefits of PM are that you get to see PMO caches?

sure you picked up geocaching as a FREE hobby, but in order for you to enjoy it massive amounts of resources are needed that cost money yet nobody is forcing you to pay $30 a year to support GC instead you are FREE to enjoy it for FREE, so please don't complain about one of the perks i get as a PM, although i have not made any of my caches PMO

Umm actually in my area there are several members who have hidden a lot of caches, and when the option came out...made all of them PMO caches.

I totally agree with putting out a few dollars to help the thing keep going ( I paid). But the premium member caches irritate me a little. On the iPhone App, you just don't see them at all if you aren't a PM, I think it should be the same way on the search feature of the website too. I think that would take the "I just want your money" bad taste out of peoples mouth. If you knew they were out there, but didn't get it waved in your face every time.

A money grab from Groundspeak? Do you have any idea how many people and high end computers must be used to keep geocaching going around the world? I am a premium member because I appreciate the fact that this is a cheap hobby and $30 helps to support it and the people who make it possible. I also don't make my caches premium only. I'd pay double for all the benefits and for the fun. I mean $30 a year? That's 3 movies...or 10 cups of coffee. I'd say a bargain for the fun I have.

Sorry, but a predictable response. This thread is about PREMIUM MEMBER ONLY CACHES They are one of dozens of features of a premium membership. Why do they have to be? What if they went away tomorrow, and there was one less perk to a premium membership? Or if they were replaced with another feature?

What is the purpose of the Premium Member Only Option ? I understand that Geocaching.com requires a paid membership for services beyond basic (GPX files ect.) but I don't understand why anyone placing a cache would want to exclude everyone but members. How does this promote the sport.... I placed several caches a few years ago and the remaining one is member only , don't know why. It was not intentional, and I have been unable to find a way to change it.

I am not being sarcastic here.. I really don't understand how this option benefits anyone ?

(bold and colour are mine)

If I were in this situation, I would be asking myself WHY the only one that is remaining is the one that is "member only".........................................

the thing i hate about PM hides is that,as a non Premium Member hider i will go out find a nice place to hide a cache,i'll build my cache for that area ,hide it then go home and enter the coords only to find out that there's a Premium Member hide withen the 525 feet area that i didnt know was there,so i have to go out and try to find another location and hope it's not near another Premium Member cache,.....i also hate this with mulitable caches

the thing i hate about PM hides is that,as a non Premium Member hider i will go out find a nice place to hide a cache,i'll build my cache for that area ,hide it then go home and enter the coords only to find out that there's a Premium Member hide withen the 525 feet area that i didnt know was there,so i have to go out and try to find another location and hope it's not near another Premium Member cache,.....i also hate this with mulitable caches

OFF TOPIC

1. Find the spot

2. enter the coords to be reviewed with a note stating cache is not in place

3. the reviewer will yea or nay it

4. if it is yea, start building

You have enough hides, you probably already know this.

mospeed1, if you use the coordinate entry of hide and seek a cache, it will show you the distance of your proposed cache coords any PM cache. You really aren't blind on this.

Here's a link to a Hide and Seek cache page with some coords entered near a PM cache so you can see for yourself. It works fine.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.asp...;submit8=Search

what am i missing here?

a regular member does not see the PM caches

mospeed1, if you use the coordinate entry of hide and seek a cache, it will show you the distance of your proposed cache coords any PM cache. You really aren't blind on this.

Here's a link to a Hide and Seek cache page with some coords entered near a PM cache so you can see for yourself. It works fine.

what am i missing here?

They show up in searches and you can see the direction & distance, but if you click the cache you can't see the cache details, including coordinates. So this does help non members determine if they are too close.

what am i missing here?

They show up in searches and you can see the direction & distance, but if you click the cache you can't see the cache details, including coordinates. So this does help non members determine if they are too close.

I have to agree with Lennu. $30 is a great value considering all the fun there is to be had with this. None of the fun is possible without the site and all of the volunteer staff. If $30 is out of budget, that's fine...I went 2 years before I decided to pay. :P

Edited by eagleii

I know of someone whose EarthCaches are PMO! Why would anyone do that?!?

Not a lot of PMO caches areound here. Nearest is 7.5 miles (240 closer caches.)

I just don't understand why someone with numerous hides would choose to make ALL of them PMO. It seems elitest, it leaves a bad taste. It seems like a ploy, I first suspected that they were getting something in return for making their caches PMO, as if they where bribing COs to choose the option, then eventually everyone would have to put up or shut up. I don't like it.

If you want safer caches, for more experienced cachers, then have an option for Preium Member to restrict their cache based on the number of finds. Have different levels, it gives cachers an incitive to shoot for too. at differnt milestones...new caches would become availible.

I do looooove PQs, and other features of PM. But mostly PQs. And I don't mind doing my little park to keep the thing running smoothly. I just hope the free membership never goes away...and the PM prices don't go up.

ok, thanks

i was not aware of that, i became PM even before i went out and found my first cache

I know of someone whose EarthCaches are PMO! Why would anyone do that?!?

Not a lot of PMO caches areound here. Nearest is 7.5 miles (240 closer caches.)

now that doesn't make sense

I just don't understand why someone with numerous hides would choose to make ALL of them PMO. It seems elitest, it leaves a bad taste.

no, its not elitist, its a perk for being PM

Edited by t4e

thank you ill give it a try

To be honest I never even notice what caches are or aren't PMO. I paid my membership almost as soon as I had joined. Less than two weeks I think after I found my first cache.

I think I'm with you... I think that the period of time we weren't PMs was quite brief. I can't quite remember what regular members see instead of seeing the PM, but I thought we at least were able to see *where* it was; we just weren't able to read the cache page... I could be wrong though.

To be honest I never even notice what caches are or aren't PMO. I paid my membership almost as soon as I had joined. Less than two weeks I think after I found my first cache.

I think I'm with you... I think that the period of time we weren't PMs was quite brief. I can't quite remember what regular members see instead of seeing the PM, but I thought we at least were able to see *where* it was; we just weren't able to read the cache page... I could be wrong though.

I kinda remember it the other way around. We could see the page but the coordinates were blocked. Now days you get to see an add for premium memberships.

t4e,

Yes I was and I think that's why I can't change it now. Thanks again for the reply.

I did not mean to give the impression that I am upset about PMO's. I've found 36 caches since 2007,

so it's obvious I don't have a lot of time for geocaching and there are certainly enough non PMO's for

me to find. I have other hobbies that consume most of my free time. I just didn't see the benefit of

PMO's to the geocaching sport, (placers or finders). Still don't, but it doesn't matter. I did learn one thing though, I am not the only one who wondered about the PMO's.

Geocaching is a great sport, especially for kids, the elderly and Texans.

Have a good one.. Rondar

There are lots of different reasons why people make some or all of their caches premium-members-only. I'm not sure why so many people jump on the "elitist" thing so quickly. Some of the reasons:

- you can see who has been viewing your cache page. (this can be interesting reading and lots of puzzle owners like to see who is working on their puzzles)

- I've made a couple of my caches PMO to help prevent them from disappearing repeatedly. caches cost money for me to replace and, where necessary, making a cache PMO provides extra protection

- i've known people to make all their caches PMO after many of their caches disappeared over a short time

- some people think there should be more benefits to being a premium member and supporting the site so they make their caches PMO to reward premium members

- one of my caches is full of unactivated geocoins. I want to limit the visitors to that cache for obvious reasons

In very few places are the number of PMO caches a substantial percentages of all caches. In most places, they make up a very small percentage. It's perfectly possible to spend your entire life caching (all day, every day) without ever running out of non-PMO caches though you'd be crazy to miss out on pocket queries if you were to make geocaching your entire life.

sdarken

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question and for being very courteous.

You make some good points. If supporting the site is a basis for the PMO's that's a

a personal choice. Nothing wrong with suppporting a sport you like.

I have other hobbies and obligations but I do like geocaching when I can do it.

Regards.. Rondar

I guess the GPSr was free too?

There is nothing free about this hobby! I even bought a car because of geocaching! ;)

$30 a year is nothing.

What is the purpose of the Premium Member Only Option ? I understand that Geocaching.com requires a paid membership for services beyond basic (GPX files ect.) but I don't understand why anyone placing a cache would want to exclude everyone but members. How does this promote the sport.... I placed several caches a few years ago and the remaining one is member only, don't know why. It was not intentional, and I have been unable to find a way to change it.

Easy to change. I just changed 14 of mine that were Premium to basic. Go to your cache page and click on edit listing. Then uncheck the premium box. Check 2 boxes at bottom and submit. Done.

Easy to change. I just changed 14 of mine that were Premium to basic. Go to your cache page and click on edit listing. Then uncheck the premium box. Check 2 boxes at bottom and submit. Done.

Previous posts already covered the fly in the ointment:

Thanks for the reply... When I go to edit listing there is no check box for the PM only option under "placed by" Could this be because I am not a premium member ?

very likely the reason

were you PM before?

Yes I was and I think that's why I can't change it now. Thanks again for the reply.

With all the free apps now coming out on all the smart phones I think caches are in a real danger of being pirated or damaged. In my area plenty of caches have gone missing in the past few months. Making my caches PMO excludes all those free app type cachers. If they grab a regular cache and then decide they like the sport and buy a membership then they can grab a PMO. There are plenty of free caches out there for them to try the game for a long time. Bottom line is that a membership costs 8 cents a day! I'm pretty sure that if you look hard enough you could find that on the ground. 8 cents a day! Come on!

As someone who is not a PM I think PMO cahces make complete sense. If I put a lot of really nice swag for the kiddies in my cache, dumped a lot of cash into the container or put it somewhere sensitive or perhaps dangerous I could see restricting the people going after it to people who are "serious"

I know not all basic members are flakes (I'm certainly not a flake) but many of us are. If the only reason was to deal with less missing TBs it would still be valid

As a regular member, I'll put my 2 cents worth in & hope it makes some sense. I can see making a cache PMO , but it should have something different to it to make it worth it. That way, it would be a perk that would be worth the money for the membership. As it is, there's quite a few more basics in my area than not, so there's not much reason to fork over the money. That seems to be the key, do the "perks" of PM warrant the money for you? If so go for it. If not, then don't. :rolleyes:

Edited by jd-mitchell

As someone who is not a PM I think PMO cahces make complete sense. If I put a lot of really nice swag for the kiddies in my cache, dumped a lot of cash into the container or put it somewhere sensitive or perhaps dangerous I could see restricting the people going after it to people who are "serious"

I know not all basic members are flakes (I'm certainly not a flake) but many of us are. If the only reason was to deal with less missing TBs it would still be valid

One of the two PMO caches I've done was a LPC. I was a bit confused but not really upset by it.

I'm not a PM for the PMO caches, I'm a PM for the PQs.