Can't Get No Satisfaction

JL_HSTRE

The problems with lack of support with GetSat were elevated to a new level last night. The person attacking the site created a new account and changed their user name to mine and stole my avatar photo from me and then posted it to their avatar. They began posting in my name fraudulently. I caught it fairly quickly, but then they even took Jeremy's avatar and began to post fraudulently with his display name and avatar. This showed that GetSat has a really bad flaw with regard to display names. Jeremy elected to remove the Feedback button until Groundspeak can make some decisions with regard to what is next.

Sometime soon they will make an announcement once they evaluate other options. For more, you can read these topics.

Duplicate display names possible on Get Satisfaction. Beware!

Where is the moderation?

Edited by mtn-man

As hyper as TPTB are about that site, the fact is that many users here are very dissatisfied with it.

Those of us who work in customer service will telll you that all we have to sell is service. Eight days to resolve a major problem is inexcusable. Complete dissatisfaction. Suggest shopping elsewhere. Maybe somewhere where it doesn't look like you're watching kindergarteners coloring outside the lines with their crayons?

Only the "Get Satisfaction" company staff can remove a discussion thread or ban a user account. Groundspeak can only delete posts, one at a time, and only by full time employees like Jeremy, not by volunteers like me and the other moderators.

The moderating tools are inadequate and inconsistent with the understanding Groundspeak had when they implemented a premium version of Get Satisfaction. Specifically, the ability to create an account to post to the Geocaching site on Get Satisfaction is not tied to having a Geocaching.com account.

Here in the Groundspeak Forums, we are able to instantly hide posts, hide threads, suspend posting rights and suspend website privileges. Often trolls and spammers are caught and stopped before more than a handful of people even knew they were here.

I put this in another thread but I screwed something up, don't ask me what it has been a bad weekend so I am going to post it again here.

I cannot log into the Geocaching community. It says I am not logged in and then when I try to log in it says I am logged in. I can log into the GC.com site just fine I just cannot log in and look at ideas and give my opinions. This just started to happen after the site went down for work the other day. Any help is greatly appreciated.

so why does the offensive thread about adult caches still stand in all its glory 2 days after i reported it? :)

its exactly what i told Jeremy, at least in the forums the moderating team has full control

with a better forum software, like vBulletin the possibilities are endless not to mention the ease of use for both staff and users

he seems to have his mind set on an off site service though

Edited by t4e
so why is the offensive thread about adult caches still stands in all its glory 2 days after i reported it? :)

its exactly what i told Jeremy, at least in the forums the moderating team has full control

So that when the GetSat people finally decide to come back to work, they will see it in all its glory. That includes one post there near the bottom that says it is posted by me, but mousing over the account name shows the account with the added numbers after it. It proves the fraudulent posting.

To expound a bit, my understanding is that 'speak felt that the forums weren't an effective enough mechanism for determining a prioritized list of improvements to be made to their various projects. Hence the GetSat site.

My feeling is that this goal could be much better accomplished with a proper, public-facing bug tracking system. Many open-source projects use products like bugzilla, jira, etc. They have the ability to vote for bugs; they have the ability to mark bugs as duplicate, add comments, attach files (screen shots, test data, etc.). It gives you a status of whether something's being worked on, whether it's targeted for a specific release, etc. In short, it gives the developers a way to communicate with the community on progress, it gives the community to opportunity to have input and propose new ideas, and it gives the company a way to give the community much-needed transparency on what's going on.

Random example: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=522210

I proposed this in GetSat, but it was shot down by 'speak with something along the lines of "The company has implemented this -- that's what GetSat is for"

Anything not appropriate for a bug-tracking system (i.e., questions), IMO should be addressed by the forums. Looking around GetSat this morning, it was a complete and utter mess due to the previously mentioned spammers/impersonators.

so why is the offensive thread about adult caches still stands in all its glory 2 days after i reported it? :)

So that when the GetSat people finally decide to come back to work, they will see it in all its glory. That includes one post there near the bottom that says it is posted by me, but mousing over the account name shows the account with the added numbers after it. It proves the fraudulent posting.

yes, i've seen that post too

i find it outrageous for someone to offer a paid online service and leave the "store" unattended over the weekend

to me, no matter what promises they make now it is a deal breaker, plus that thread Jeremy started, took 8 days from their staff to notice it

extremely poor service

i hope this time around Jeremy picks a better service and gives it a test run behind closed doors before taking it live

can get few people from the regulars to test it

Edited by t4e

yes, i've seen that post too

i find it outrageous for someone to offer a paid online service and leave the "store" unattended over the weekend

to me, no matter what promises they make now it is a deal breaker, plus that thread Jeremy started, took 8 days from their staff to notice it

extremely poor service

i hope this time around Jeremy picks a better service and gives it a test run behind closed doors before taking it live

can get few people from the regulars to test it

It wasn't that long ago it was Groundspeak apologizing for leaving the "store" unattended over the weekend. I am a Premium Member. Doesn't that make Groundspeak "a paid online service"? Anyway, that is what finally got us 1000 cache PQ's. That was my idea of getting satisfaction.

with a better forum software, like vBulletin the possibilities are endless not to mention the ease of use for both staff and users

Some of us have called for this numerous times. It is a solution that would work. The silliness that the forum has to be tied into the use name on the geocaching site is the show stopper for TPTB. It does not have to be that way.

Get vBulletin running TODAY! all would be great! A system to use the same names could be worked out, even if it had to be manually done - there are enough moderators to do the trick.

It wasn't that long ago it was Groundspeak apologizing for leaving the "store" unattended over the weekend.

As I recall it was not exactly unattended, but things were broken pretty good and it took a bit of time for the Kings men to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. The problem was acknowledged fairly early into the weekend but it was toward the end of the weekend before it was fixed.

To expound a bit, my understanding is that 'speak felt that the forums weren't an effective enough mechanism for determining a prioritized list of improvements to be made to their various projects. Hence the GetSat site.

My feeling is that this goal could be much better accomplished with a proper, public-facing bug tracking system. Many open-source projects use products like bugzilla, jira, etc. They have the ability to vote for bugs; they have the ability to mark bugs as duplicate, add comments, attach files (screen shots, test data, etc.). It gives you a status of whether something's being worked on, whether it's targeted for a specific release, etc. In short, it gives the developers a way to communicate with the community on progress, it gives the community to opportunity to have input and propose new ideas, and it gives the company a way to give the community much-needed transparency on what's going on.

Random example: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=522210

I proposed this in GetSat, but it was shot down by 'speak with something along the lines of "The company has implemented this -- that's what GetSat is for"

Anything not appropriate for a bug-tracking system (i.e., questions), IMO should be addressed by the forums. Looking around GetSat this morning, it was a complete and utter mess due to the previously mentioned spammers/impersonators.

I cried out for bugzilla numerous time too. It works great for cPanel and many other companies. Maybe some will listen now.

Some of us have called for this numerous times. It is a solution that would work. The silliness that the forum has to be tied into the use name on the geocaching site is the show stopper for TPTB. It does not have to be that way.

Are you kidding me? ;):DB):)

Obviously, you have not actually looked at what happened over the weekend on GetSat. The problem *is* that the user name on GetSat isn't tied to the geocaching site or to anything for that matter. Someone created a new user account and took my display name and stole my avatar photograph and started fraudulently posting profanity and bad advice in multiple topics to make it look like it was me posting that garbage. Once I caught it (quickly thank goodness), they started doing the same with Jeremy's display name and avatar. Fortunately, I was running him down and he was able to take action. Since I was the one personally affected, I most certainly hope this is buttoned up and that there is no way you can get in to whatever we go to next unless your account is tied directly to your overall Groundspeak account just as it is with Waymarking and Wherigo. As has been most dramatically illustrated over this weekend, it most certainly has to be that way.

And frankly, I've used Bugzilla as a beta tester. People were saying that GetSat was hard to use and confusing. Bugzilla would be a disaster for the casual geocacher. If they cannot get a simple forum based looking site like GetSat, they would never get Bugzilla. You have to keep in mind that 99% of geocachers are just casual web users. Keep it simple to use. That is what they want. The arrangement of GetSat is a nightmare, but it is just a simple forum for the most part.

Are you kidding me? :):):):)

Obviously, you have not actually looked at what happened over the weekend on GetSat. The problem *is* that the user name on GetSat isn't tied to the geocaching site or to anything for that matter. Someone created a new user account and took my display name and stole my avatar photograph and started fraudulently posting profanity and bad advice in multiple topics to make it look like it was me posting that garbage. Once I caught it (quickly thank goodness), they started doing the same with Jeremy's display name and avatar. Fortunately, I was running him down and he was able to take action. Since I was the one personally affected, I most certainly hope this is buttoned up and that there is no way you can get in to whatever we go to next unless your account is tied directly to your overall Groundspeak account just as it is with Waymarking and Wherigo. As has been most dramatically illustrated over this weekend, it most certainly has to be that way.

In house. This needs to be an integrated part of the Groundspeak package. As it is They have been trying to fix a Chevy with Renault parts.

And frankly, I've used Bugzilla as a beta tester. People were saying that GetSat was hard to use and confusing. Bugzilla would be a disaster for the casual geocacher. If they cannot get a simple forum based looking site like GetSat, they would never get Bugzilla. You have to keep in mind that 99% of geocachers are just casual web users. Keep it simple to use. That is what they want. The arrangement of GetSat is a nightmare, but it is just a simple forum for the most part.

It seems you are starting to understand what some of us have been saying all along. The getsat site doesn't work.

...People were saying that GetSat was hard to use and confusing. Bugzilla would be a disaster for the casual geocacher. If they cannot get a simple forum based looking site like GetSat, they would never get Bugzilla. You have to keep in mind that 99% of geocachers are just casual web users...

Most players are casual geocachers. A very small but vocal percentage of players are involved in the forums. One of the reasons for GetSat (with the use of that tab on the web site) seemed to be an attempt to involve the casual geocacher. I think we can safely say that has been a disaster. Frankly, the people on the forums, though a small percentage, are (generally) people that are dedicated to the sport and pretty clued in. THOSE are the people 'speak should be getting their feedback from, and I think the forum community is smart enough to handle the existence of a bug tracking system just fine.

First of all this is not an open source project. It is a privately held company. Paying $30 a year or about 8 cents a day does not give you a stake in the company, the right to set priorities, or to a transparent view of the development process. I am a forum reader and a casual poster. I used Get Satisfaction the same way and found that after spending a bit of effort it worked fairly well for me to express my opinions. I would not feel comfortable with a tool that required lots of web and programming knowledge and I think using such a tool on a non open source site would provide legal risks to Groundspeak. What we need is a tool that is easy for all users and for the developers. I might remind you that I expect most of us pay much more to cellphone, cable, and electrical companies and they rarely ask our opinions.

I also want the developers to spend their time on developing the Geocaching site not on creating a feedback mechanism.

I also agree that any feedback tool must be linked to valid Groundspeak accounts.

Team Taran

PS if you want to become involved in an open source caching site I expect you computer and web experts can find one.

It seems you are starting to understand what some of us have been saying all along. The getsat site doesn't work.

If it wasn't for the abuser, I think it could have worked, yes. It took some getting used to. The layout needed improvement. Even those that complained about it here were starting to participate over there. One thing I noticed is that there were people coming in there and asking questions that I never saw in the forums. That part was most certainly working. The chatter and things like "IBL" posts were not there, so the noise level was low -- until the weekend would come and then there was the functionality breakdown with the assault of the abuser. Take that one person out of the equation and I think this would not even be a discussion.

Most players are casual geocachers. A very small but vocal percentage of players are involved in the forums. One of the reasons for GetSat (with the use of that tab on the web site) seemed to be an attempt to involve the casual geocacher. I think we can safely say that has been a disaster. Frankly, the people on the forums, though a small percentage, are (generally) people that are dedicated to the sport and pretty clued in. THOSE are the people 'speak should be getting their feedback from, and I think the forum community is smart enough to handle the existence of a bug tracking system just fine.

This is the elitist attitude that drives people away from the forums unfortunately. So, the person that has a simple problem where their account just happened to not renew properly has to just tough it out if they cannot figure out Bugzilla? Sorry but "'speak" doesn't care about your problems/opinions but only those of the elite few forum users? Getting and giving help must extend to all members of the community, thank you. You were once a newbie yourself, you know. Perhaps since you don't have a lot of posts here we should just throw your opinion out too? You have only contributed a couple of hundred posts since 2003. You don't sound very dedicated, so "speak" should just throw your opinion out too, right?

First of all this is not an open source project. It is a privately held company. Paying $30 a year or about 8 cents a day does not give you a stake in the company, the right to set priorities, or to a transparent view of the development process.

It's also a company that thrives on community involvement, which is why they are concerned about getting feedback. Nobody is asking to be able to set priorities, just to have an effective method for to express what the community as a whole finds important. Groundspeak is nothing without community involvement, and the lack of transparency has been a frustration. It's not necessarily because 'speak doesn't want the transparency; the tools at their disposal weren't an effective way to do it. One thing that I will credit GetSat with was for the first time you got some sense of what the most important issues were to the community. (I for one had no idea that support for bringing back Virtuals was so strong, for one example). Also, now you had the company saying "yes, we'll implement this, no we won't do that", etc. That's a huge increase in transparency that didn't exist before, and it was a great thing.

GetSat was the right idea, but the wrong implementation.

Prime example of what I am talking about...

http://feedback.geocaching.com/geocaching/...isfaction-mf7j6

The person who started the topic has never visited the forums. After Too Tall John gave the answer, another person who has been a long term cacher with very few posts in the forums here, and none for a year and a half, also responded in the topic. They got an answer from Jeremy himself just now (6 AM in Seattle, dude is up early).

This is the elitist attitude that drives people away from the forums unfortunately. So, the person that has a simple problem where their account just happened to not renew properly has to just tough it out if they cannot figure out Bugzilla? Sorry but "'speak" doesn't care about your problems/opinions but only those of the elite few forum users? Getting and giving help must extend to all members of the community, thank you. You were once a newbie yourself, you know. Perhaps since you don't have a lot of posts here we should just throw your opinion out too? You have only contributed a couple of hundred posts since 2003. You don't sound very dedicated, so "speak" should just throw your opinion out too, right?

Did you miss me? :) Feel free to call me any name you like. Plenty of newbies have found the forums just fine. Honestly, I do not think that geocaching is so difficult that a giant cartoon helpdesk is needed to erase some perceived barrier to entry into the sport. In fact, there is a WONDERFUL introductory video on the site. Yes, people that have been geocaching and participating in the community for a long time are likely to have a better perspective into what direction the sport should go into the future. Which of course is not to say that a newbie might not have a great idea, but it's rare.

The person who started the topic has never visited the forums. After Too Tall John gave the answer, another person who has been a long term cacher with very few posts in the forums here, and none for a year and a half, also responded in the topic. They got an answer from Jeremy himself just now (6 AM in Seattle, dude is up early).

i don't know how they managed to post, i haven't been able to for 2 days now

when i try to log in it tells me i am already logged in :)

FEEDBACK was more advertised than the forums

if a bit more effort was put into making the forums more prominent and directing people to it for help i'm sure more would have visited

there's still plenty of new members that came to the forums for help even after the feedback was introduced

to me the word FEEDBACK does not imply getting help

and i still maintain that it is a poorly designed interface, mainly due to the fact that was hard to follow a discussion

Are you kidding me? :):):):)

Obviously, you have not actually looked at what happened over the weekend on GetSat. The problem *is* that the user name on GetSat isn't tied to the geocaching site or to anything for that matter. (snip).

Mtn Man - but you would control the naming. You missed the point. I am not kidding you. This forum with a better app is the solution. Forums are the tried and true method of making a point. A fresh start with vBulletin is worth the effort. A manual logging in initially with any name to be changed by moderators to the real caching name could work, to get it started, if tying in the two (geocaching site and the forum) is too much programing for the team to accomplish.

So, the person that has a simple problem where their account just happened to not renew properly has to just tough it out if they cannot figure out Bugzilla? Sorry but "'speak" doesn't care about your problems/opinions but only those of the elite few forum users? Getting and giving help must extend to all members of the community, thank you. You were once a newbie yourself, you know. Perhaps since you don't have a lot of posts here we should just throw your opinion out too? You have only contributed a couple of hundred posts since 2003. You don't sound very dedicated, so "speak" should just throw your opinion out too, right?

I thought GS has email? NO? That is a situation for email to support - not any kind of public posting solution. Do not let the rage of having your name stolen remove your thought of reason dear sir :) I know it hurts having your rep run into the ground. We know it was not the real you!

BTW - I hardly consider myself an elite forum user. Only speaking here, as I am WD40 in the places where I work and volunteer - I like solving problems.

You want feedback for GS - this forum is broke at times - solution vBulletin and some creative plugins!

Edited by Frank Broughton

I really hated the layout of GetSatisfaction as it made following conversations a bit difficult. But perhaps the point wasn't really to have a long drawn out discussion anyway like we have in the forums with a thousand responses. Somebody posting a problem probably doesn't care to dig through all the responses of people not associated with Groundspeak. They certainly could improve in the organization of the questions and official answers.

As far as moderation, in order to keep transparency but allow for better moderation, they (the getsat folks) need to do a couple of things:

- allow their customers to assign moderators that can ban accounts, and hide threads or individual posts. Banning and hiding should be immediate

- when an account is banned or a thread/post hidden, allow the affected person a way to report this to GetSatisfaction if they feel they were unfairly treated. Somebody posting nude photos isn't likely to report the action as unfair, but somebody that feels they were censored because they said something negative about the company could have their post reinstated. If GetSatisfaction sees a company has a history of censorship or unfair moderation, that could be reflected poorly on the company and should probably be made public.

What I liked about GetSatisfaction is that there were a lot of ideas and problems reported, that didn't seem to occur in the forums.

The problems with lack of support with GetSat were elevated to a new level last night. The person attacking the site created a new account and changed their user name to mine and stole my avatar photo from me and then posted it to their avatar. They began posting in my name fraudulently. I caught it fairly quickly, but then they even took Jeremy's avatar and began to post fraudulently with his display name and avatar. This showed that GetSat has a really bad flaw with regard to display names. Jeremy elected to remove the Feedback button until Groundspeak can make some decisions with regard to what is next.

Sometime soon they will make an announcement once they evaluate other options. For more, you can read these topics.

Duplicate display names possible on Get Satisfaction. Beware!

Where is the moderation?

Wow, that is terrible. I'm not sure I love the getsat site, but I'd hate for Groundspeak to be forced to abandon it over that sort of BS.

One thing I noticed is that there were people coming in there and asking questions that I never saw in the forums. That part was most certainly working.
Prime example of what I am talking about... The person who started the topic has never visited the forums. After Too Tall John gave the answer, another person who has been a long term cacher with very few posts in the forums here, and none for a year and a half, also responded in the topic. They got an answer from Jeremy himself just now (6 AM in Seattle, dude is up early).

I think a big factor in some of the new participation on the GetSat sight may have been the large and hard to avoid "Feedback" tab that was present on every page for a while, and introduced at the same time. Have you considered reinstating the "Feedback" tab and having it point to the forums? That move might also encourage participation from cachers who otherwise wouldn't have found their way into the forums to join the conversation.

There may well be valid reasons to use a service like GetSat, but I am not sure that it's fair to introduce a giant button that directs new users there more easily, and use that as evidence that people preferred the service in some way.

I really hated the layout of GetSatisfaction as it made following conversations a bit difficult. But perhaps the point wasn't really to have a long drawn out discussion anyway like we have in the forums with a thousand responses. Somebody posting a problem probably doesn't care to dig through all the responses of people not associated with Groundspeak. They certainly could improve in the organization of the questions and official answers.

As far as moderation, in order to keep transparency but allow for better moderation, they (the getsat folks) need to do a couple of things:

- allow their customers to assign moderators that can ban accounts, and hide threads or individual posts. Banning and hiding should be immediate

- when an account is banned or a thread/post hidden, allow the affected person a way to report this to GetSatisfaction if they feel they were unfairly treated. Somebody posting nude photos isn't likely to report the action as unfair, but somebody that feels they were censored because they said something negative about the company could have their post reinstated. If GetSatisfaction sees a company has a history of censorship or unfair moderation, that could be reflected poorly on the company and should probably be made public.

What I liked about GetSatisfaction is that there were a lot of ideas and problems reported, that didn't seem to occur in the forums.

Very well said.

I look around about once a week for popular items, and I am figuring out how to do that. But if I was just a casual geocacher reporting an issue this way seems a lot better than the forum system. (If I had little tech sense I would have no idea to find my question again and see the solution).

I saw the adult thread and instantly figured out it was a lot of socks, but saw the 'mtn-man' post at the bottom and thought, wow he must be having a bad weekend. I'm glad to now know that it was not him.

Everybody calling for vBulletin clearly isn't aware of the multitude of hacking tools available to trash it and the amount of in-house development that would be required to make it safer and more efficient.

Been there, done that.

huh? :)

i'm sure you're confusing it with phpBB

vBulletin is the most trusted and reliable forum software you can possibly have

i am yet to see what you're describing

Do you really think that it would have taken any longer to answer the question here? If the feedback tab pointed to the website forum instead of get sat the questions would be answered here as fast or faster. The real difference is that the company participation was so much higher. Why was that? Why would Jeremy respond so readily there when he seldom shows up here?

Everybody calling for vBulletin clearly isn't aware of the multitude of hacking tools available to trash it and the amount of in-house development that would be required to make it safer and more efficient.

Been there, done that.

I agree wholeheartedly. Vbulletin is a really bad idea.

I wonder how hard it would be to create an in-house bug tracking sytem. Our company has created those for some of our larger clients and have found them to be quite useful.

I have only been able to post using the account I created to be able to communicate with Get Satisfaction. I suspect that Groundspeak is working on the best way to continue to let the site function until it is replaced. The full crew in Seattle is probably reporting for work after the long weekend. We know Jeremy was working this weekend but I expect most of the staff was enjoying themselves.

I really hated the layout of GetSatisfaction as it made following conversations a bit difficult. But perhaps the point wasn't really to have a long drawn out discussion anyway like we have in the forums with a thousand responses.

I've been using GetSat for awhile, and the sites that used it did so for support only.

If someone had a question, they'd posted their question, an employee would reply back with an answer or looking for more info. The person would reply back with more info, and it would kind of go back and forth like that till it was fixed.

The site was not used as a discussion board. Like with the nano container size question. Someone posted they'd like to see the change. A few people commented on it, and Groundspeak said it's under consideration. That's it. That should be the end of the conversation. Groundspeak's considering it. They may do it, or they may not. No need to keep debating back and forth whether the current size is good enough or not. Something like that should happen in the forums.

can any of the moderators actually answer my question i asked, now for the 3rd time?

how do i log in to Get Satisfaction?

I have this problem too.

I actually had to reset my password this morning, once I did that I could log in.

i don't like fiddling with my password if i don't have to

i just want my question answered with a proper solution

so far being ignored for whatever reason

Edited by t4e
I really hated the layout of GetSatisfaction as it made following conversations a bit difficult. But perhaps the point wasn't really to have a long drawn out discussion anyway like we have in the forums with a thousand responses.

I've been using GetSat for awhile, and the sites that used it did so for support only.

If someone had a question, they'd posted their question, an employee would reply back with an answer or looking for more info. The person would reply back with more info, and it would kind of go back and forth like that till it was fixed.

The site was not used as a discussion board. Like with the nano container size question. Someone posted they'd like to see the change. A few people commented on it, and Groundspeak said it's under consideration. That's it. That should be the end of the conversation. Groundspeak's considering it. They may do it, or they may not. No need to keep debating back and forth whether the current size is good enough or not. Something like that should happen in the forums.

Agreed. Get Satisfaction is laid out as a customer feedback site not as a discussion site. If a suggestion is controversial then take the discussion to a discussion board. Or if a user just wants to float an idea to see what the community thinks before suggesting it formally, do that on a discussion board. Or if someone has a problem that they want other users (not the company) to help them solve, take that to a disscussion board. Even post in two places, one for company responses and the other for user discussion.

Perhaps Get Satisfaction should limit responses to company employees. People could still vote that they like an idea. If they don't like an idea, the can start a discussion in the discussion forum. Of course then, TPTB would have to look to see if there were points made by other users that would effect how they view some suggestion that got 3500 "I like this votes", but I don't see why they can't monitor the discussion forums as well as a feedback site.