Celebrity TB!

Zuckerruebensirup

Check it out: I submitted a picture I took of the Major Tom travel bug to the Jones Soda company, and it actually got selected as a Staff Pick. icon_biggrin.gif (Not too shabby, considering less than 500 pictures were chosen out of more than 39,000 submitted.)

If he makes it through to the next round, you just might run into him and his smiling buddy the next time you stop for a cold drink and a fuel up in between cache hunts. icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by makaio:

Who the heck is Jones Soda Company? I've never heard of them - maybe cuz the wife does all the shopping.

Actually, they aren't widely known. Mostly you'll see them in gas stations and such. I've seen them in a few grocery stores, too. But not as often.

They're one of the 'little guys' in the business, which is one of the reasons I like them. More precisely, they strike me as 'A little guy with spunk...and a touch of attitude.' (Reminds me a bit of myself...other than the 'guy' thing, that is.)

People donate photos as label designs, and you'll see dozens of different labels at any given time. They don't tend to go for traditionally appealing photos, though...they seem to like the quirky, the catchy, and the bizarre.

I like the quote they print on their bottles: “Ya gotta make a living somehow; we chose the beverage world. Good old soda with a twist. No hidden meanings, no billion dollar ad campaigns. At Jones, we want you to buy a lot of soda and recycle the bottles. The labels are kinda like our minds -- always changing. Run with the little guy...create some change.”

There’s also a fortune under each cap, with tiny print around the perimeter that says, “We swiped these quotes from actual fortune cookies.”

As for the pop itself, Jeremy's right. Mostly sickly sweet stuff. Zany flavors (like Blue Bubble Gum) and bright colors. I prefer Mountian Dew or Dr. Pepper, as far as taste goes...but I like the concept of their company, and the fact that they give unknown artist and photographers a chance at a little speck of 'fame'. icon_wink.gif

By the way, thanks to everyone who's voted for my photo. icon_smile.gif (Except, of course, for those who voted it lower than the average already was. icon_razz.gif)

Sam Walton:

quote:
Time.com

• BORN March 29, 1918, in Kingfisher, Okla.
  • 1945 Gets franchise for Ben Franklin store in Newport, Ark.
  • 1962 Opens his first Wal-Mart discount store in Rogers, Ark., after Ben Franklin spurns his plans for discounting
  • 1985 The value of his Wal-Mart stock makes him the wealthiest American
  • 1991 Wal-Mart passes Sears to become the country's biggest retailer
  • 1992 Dies in Little Rock, April 5

Interesting... the only company/firm with a larger computer database system is the Pentagon.

Member:

banner-small.gif