Went geocaching with our Androids today...WOW!

jeepdelfuego

We went geocaching with our Androids yesterday. My wife got an HTC Incredible and I got the LG Ally. I think the units are very comparable except for the fact that my wife's Incredible seems a little faster. But, hers was $199 and mine was only $49. Anyway, I installed the official Geocaching application at $9 each. I wish I had tried C:Geo first because it seems to be a better app. Anyway, I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with the Android experience while geocaching. If these phones had a decent battery life and were rugged, I would trade in my Oregon 450 and my wife's 300. I definitely see the market for stand-alone GPS's dwindling over the next three years because of the Androids and the iPhones.

First off, it was nice not having to pay a couple of hundred dollars for City Navigator, topo maps, and Birdseye imagery for these phones because Google supplies all of the terrain and satellite maps that I could ever need. I know that currently these maps won't work when you leave a 3G service area. So, there is a limitation there. But, the screen redraws seemed quicker than on our Oregons. Also, it was real nice logging my finds in real time. The Oregons have paperless geocaching, but I still have to plug the unit into a computer to log the finds.

GARMIN: I HOPE YOU ARE LISTENING BECAUSE WHEN IT COMES TIME TO REPLACE MY OREGONS IN THE FUTURE, I MAY NOT BE REPLACING THEM WITH A STANDALONE GPS UNIT AND I'VE BEEN A LOYAL GARMIN CUSTOMER FOR YEARS!

Garmin Units I have owned:

E-trex Legend (blue)

E-trex Legend HCx

Oregon 200 (2)

Oregon 300

Oregon 450 (My last Garmin purchase?)

We went geocaching with our Androids yesterday. My wife got an HTC Incredible and I got the LG Ally. I think the units are very comparable except for the fact that my wife's Incredible seems a little faster. But, hers was $199 and mine was only $49.
Hardly, if you look at your 2-year service agreement each phone cost $500 - $2000.

First off, it was nice not having to pay a couple of hundred dollars for City Navigator, topo maps, and Birdseye imagery for these phones because Google supplies all of the terrain and satellite maps

Does Google have Topo maps? Not seen any of them, perhaps a screenshot.

GARMIN: I HOPE YOU ARE LISTENING BECAUSE WHEN IT COMES TIME TO REPLACE MY OREGONS IN THE FUTURE, I MAY NOT BE REPLACING THEM WITH A STANDALONE GPS UNIT AND I'VE BEEN A LOYAL GARMIN CUSTOMER FOR YEARS!
If you're only use for GPS is GCing, then clearly a GPS mobile is serious competition for Garmin. The GPS landscape is rapidly changing as your post points out.

For me, where I use a GPS, cell coverage is spotty to non-existent.

yeah it does, check the "terrain" view (listed under "more" on the regular google maps page). it's not as detailed as proper topo maps though and doesn't have trails. well, they have some trails now, but coverage is nowhere near as good as with proper topo maps.

all the maps i use on my oregon were free, save the birdseye subscription. and i'm quite happy with those maps, they have much more useful details than google has so far.

yeah it does, check the "terrain" view (listed under "more" on the regular google maps page). it's not as detailed as proper topo maps though and doesn't have trails. well, they have some trails now, but coverage is nowhere near as good as with proper topo maps.

all the maps i use on my oregon were free, save the birdseye subscription. and i'm quite happy with those maps, they have much more useful details than google has so far.

I am going to have to figure out how to do a screenshot because the satellite imagery that I was viewing, on the train which was traveling at 84 Mph, was clear and crisp unlike what Birdseye shows me on my Oregon 450. Oh, and let's not talk about how many hours, or days, it would have taken me to download Birdseye imagery that would have covered the 100 mile trek that we took. But, that would be another thread.

I'm not knocking Garmin products because I like the units I use. I am just trying to make sure that Garmin stays on its toes and comes out with better and cheaper products in the future. Look, I can basically do almost everything that my Garmin 450 does for much less.

Price Comparison:

Garmin Oregon 450 - $300

Garmin City Navigator map - $80

Garmin Top Maps - $80 (I guess you could get topo maps for free from GPSfiledepot.com)

Garmin Birdseye - $30 (Plus, you should factor in the hours that it will take you to download anything)

Total $490!

LG Ally $49

Maps Free

C:geo Free

Total $49!

Hmm, $490 vs $49. I think we know who wins this contest.

I know some people will point out that you have to have a $29.99 data plan with Verizon. But, I would have the data plan regardless whether I geocached with my phone or not because I use it for work. So, that would be a mute point for me.

... snip

Price Comparison:

Garmin Oregon 450 - $300

Garmin Top Maps - $80 (I guess you could get topo maps for free from GPSfiledepot.com)

Garmin Birdseye - $30 (Plus, you should factor in the hours that it will take you to download anything)

Total $490!

LG Ally $49

Maps Free

Total $49!

As long you are are morally okay with using applications which violate the TOU of the Geocaching.com website to which you agreed when you created an account.

As long you are are morally okay with using applications which violate the TOU of the Geocaching.com website to which you agreed when you created an account.

I'm not even a Android user, but do you really want to open up that can of worms again?

While we're discussing morality, I'm wondering about the morality of locking out competition. Not that it applies here, but under under other business circumstances, it's called restraint of trade. The TOU itself represents such restraint whether agreed to by the user or not. Quickly defined, it's

a contract that tends, or is designed, to eliminate or stifle competition, create a monopoly and otherwise hamper or obstruct the course of trade as it would be carried on if it were left to the control of natural economic forces.

So while It may be legal for gc.com to do what it does, is it right?

I'm wondering about the added question of the morality of paying Groundspeak their fee for their application, and then using something that a user perceives to be a better product for the purpose. How's that for an odd gray area?

Edited by ecanderson

I'm not even a Android user, but do you really want to open up that can of worms again?

While we're discussing morality, I'm wondering about the morality of locking out competition. Not that it applies here, but under under other business circumstances, it's called restraint of trade. The TOU itself represents such restraint whether agreed to by the user or not. Quickly defined, it's

a contract that tends, or is designed, to eliminate or stifle competition, create a monopoly and otherwise hamper or obstruct the course of trade as it would be carried on if it were left to the control of natural economic forces.

So while It may be legal for gc.com to do what it does, is it right?

I'm wondering about the added question of the morality of paying Groundspeak their fee for their application, and then using something that a user perceives to be a better product for the purpose. How's that for an odd gray area?

This post articulated my thoughts much better than I ever could. As for using the app whose name we are not supposed to mention here, I am going to fire it up as soon as I finish writing this and go find a Geocache with it.

... snip

LG Ally $49

Maps Free

Total $49!

"Moral" Computation:

Hmmm, $490 vs $59. I think we know who still wins this contest.

I am going to have to figure out how to do a screenshot because the satellite imagery that I was viewing, on the train which was traveling at 84 Mph, was clear and crisp unlike what Birdseye shows me on my Oregon 450. Oh, and let's not talk about how many hours, or days, it would have taken me to download Birdseye imagery that would have covered the 100 mile trek that we took. But, that would be another thread.

indeed, because this is a total non-argument. an oregon is not a phone and isn't online. obviously it can only display what has been loaded onto it.

I'm not knocking Garmin products because I like the units I use. I am just trying to make sure that Garmin stays on its toes and comes out with better and cheaper products in the future. Look, I can basically do almost everything that my Garmin 450 does for much less.

actually you can't. to a certain extent you can as long as you have cell coverage and a charger nearby. but as soon as those aren't present any more, the phone suddenly doesn't look as good any more. and that's not even mentioning lack of waterproofness and the definitely inferior GPS reception, even when some people want to tell you otherwise. of course if casual and occasional caching trips are all you're after, then a dedicated expensive GPSr is most likely overkill, yes.

actually you can't. to a certain extent you can as long as you have cell coverage and a charger nearby. but as soon as those aren't present any more, the phone suddenly doesn't look as good any more. and that's not even mentioning lack of waterproofness and the definitely inferior GPS reception, even when some people want to tell you otherwise. of course if casual and occasional caching trips are all you're after, then a dedicated expensive GPSr is most likely overkill, yes.

In some ways a cell is superior to a handheld for the GCer, if you have 3G coverage. With 3G the OP can both load new caches and report found/DNF. With current Garmin's, Nuvi phone excluded, you have to have a USB connection to a connected PC, possible with the very same phone. As to the waterproofness, doubt if many GC in the rain, dfx of course excluded, besides the OP lives in S Cal, we all know it never rains in S Cal.

Phones can/do use the same GPS chips so as long as the battery last and if we're talking car based GCing, then the phone is always being recharged.

I'm sure Garmin knows all of this and is figuring out counter strategies or planning on eventually loosing a small but worthwhile market.

Just to stir the pot a little more, MOST of the anti-phone arguments posted here are bogus, from people who don't know what they're talking about.

Refuting the bogus ones:

I don't have to worry about cell coverage or batteries on my phone. I have all the USGS topo quads I need already loaded, as well as complete road maps with turn by turn directions. I don't need cell coverage to have these maps. And I carry spare batteries in a charger that takes AA cells - pretty much the same way I would for my other GPS. Oh... and the geocaching app I use is fully supported and compliant with the TOU.

Cost? Absolutely true that owning and using a smart phone over a length of time involves ongoing costs. If the ONLY thing you bought your smartphone for was geocaching, you're a looney. If you THINK the only use someone might get from their smartphone is geocaching, you're looney squared.

Accuracy/reception? Yup -- even when it's "good enough" for geocaching it ain't as good as a dedicated GPS. Almost always good enough for urban caches, but if you're going into deep woods you probably do need something better. BUT -- this argument against using a phone for caching is still mostly bogus because it presumes the only caches, or the only ones worth finding, are all out in the woods or other difficult reception areas.

Weatherproofing? Keep it in an inside pocket. Nah, you got me there... it's the downfall of the smartphone. If you spend a lot of time caching in the rain, or kayaking, or you're just clumsy and you drop things a lot -- even a smartphone in an Otterbox ain't gonna cut it. Get a real GPS already, and save the smartphone for finding the nearest Starbucks. That's all it's good for!

Edited by lee_rimar

Price Comparison:

Garmin Oregon 450 - $300

Total $490!

LG Ally $49

Maps Free

Total $49!

I know some people will point out that you have to have a $29.99 data plan with Verizon. But, I would have the data plan regardless whether I geocached with my phone or not because I use it for work. So, that would be a mute point for me.

I don't own a cell phone, but don't you need to pay to activate it? I don't think that you can just go buy one and then start using it right out of the box, can you? So what expense would I be looking at if I decided to get one? What will it cost me before I even make that first call?

John

I don't own a cell phone, but don't you need to pay to activate it? I don't think that you can just go buy one and then start using it right out of the box, can you? So what expense would I be looking at if I decided to get one? What will it cost me before I even make that first call?

John

Well, I didn't have to pay an activation fee because I was upgrading from a Palm Centro phone. The phone line I use is on a family plan with 4 other phones. You do have to have a data plan with the new smartphones. Verizon charges $30 a month for the data plan. As I said in my earlier post, the data (unlimiited) plan is a non issue for me because I have to have it for work. So, for me it is almost as though I am Geocaching for free. I know that I have the cheapest Android phone at this time which is the LG Ally for $49. My wife has the HTC Incredible which cost $199. The prices I mentioned are contract prices. These phones retail for $300+ without a contract.

Edited by jeepdelfuego

Just to stir the pot a little more, MOST of the anti-phone arguments posted here are bogus, from people who don't know what they're talking about.

Refuting the bogus ones:

I don't have to worry about cell coverage or batteries on my phone. I have all the USGS topo quads I need already loaded, as well as complete road maps with turn by turn directions. I don't need cell coverage to have these maps. And I carry spare batteries in a charger that takes AA cells - pretty much the same way I would for my other GPS. Oh... and the geocaching app I use is fully supported and compliant with the TOU.

Thanks for the tip. I just downloaded some free maps of Southern California, topo and street, onto my Android phone.

so you get for $40+$8+$10 what i get for free, nice. how much is that seperate charger/battery pack again? and those maps are all different apps and you can't have the topo maps open when in geocaching mode or the other way around, right? what about custom trail maps, such as the ones from the many community powered map projects?

We went geocaching with our Androids yesterday.

using your new phone you found ONE cache in the city and you're wowed?

please do come back and let us know how it went after you go find some caches in deep woods with lots of tree cover and limited cell coverage

Edited by t4e

Wellllll ... I got a friend hooked on geocaching by using her Droid X and nothing else. She's found 100 so far. Granted, she hasn't hiked to any remote caches and probably never will, but it certainly does the trick for those who enjoy urban caching. My phone contract is up for renewal next month and I'm getting a Droid just so I can get caches in real time and the turn-by-turn ability the Droid provides using the "Voldemort" app. If I'm going caching all day I'll do a PQ for the area I'm going to cache in, download it to my Garmin AND take the Droid for the paperless and turn-by-turn part. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

Maybe it's because I live in Montana, but the OP's notion that phones will overtake the handheld GPS market sounds obsurd. While the competition may serve as an impetus for product enhancement, I am under no illusion that the phone's, as smart as they are, will bump dedicated handhelds. The handheld market was born before the geocaching craze and the units sold just fine. Maybe what folks who use phones to navigate don't understand is that there is a huge market for rugged, outdoor navigational "tools" (not implying specifically Delorme) that professionals collecting data and recreationalists would prefer over the cell phones, not to mention the huge hunting market.

Geocahing is a HUGE slice of the handheld GPS market true, however Garmin may intruduce a dichotomy of products targeted at different types of use. I think we may already be seeing it in the Oregon/Dakota vs 62/78 series. The 62/78 has most if not all of the geocaching features found on the other units however it has a few "tools" for recreational use the Oregons don't.

In summary, moving away from dedicated handhelds may make sense for a portion of the US, if Garmin were to move away from handhelds completely and roll it in with a phone they would end up alienating that portion of the US where it doesn't make sense (Montana or any other Rocky Mountain West state where cell reception is spotty at best and where getting out and away from your car charger or wall outlet is a frequent requirement.)

Besides, if I take my phone hunting my wife could call me any time I catch a bar or two and the thought of it makes me cringe. :)

My .02

Edited by yogazoo
Wellllll ... I got a friend hooked on geocaching by using her Droid X and nothing else. She's found 100 so far. Granted, she hasn't hiked to any remote caches and probably never will, but it certainly does the trick for those who enjoy urban caching. My phone contract is up for renewal next month and I'm getting a Droid just so I can get caches in real time and the turn-by-turn ability the Droid provides using the "Voldemort" app. If I'm going caching all day I'll do a PQ for the area I'm going to cache in, download it to my Garmin AND take the Droid for the paperless and turn-by-turn part. Seems like the best of both worlds to me.

My dream setup - Nuvi on the dash for turn by turn to the cache (multi designations too), droidx in the pocket for logging and whatever and the 60csx for the grunt work!

I agree. I am not throwing my Oregon 450 or Oregon 300 in the trash. My work takes me to many different schools and I use my Oregon 450 and City Navigator to get me to those locations. Over the last couple of days I haven't taken them with me which means that I have one less thing to carry around.

My Geocaching has always been a spur of the moment thing. I go to a place and fire up the GPS to see if there is a geocache nearby. So, I was elated when I found out that my Oregon 450 could hold as much as 5000 geocaches vs the 2000 that an Oregon 300/200 can hold. This meant that I didn't have to run GSAK as much to load different areas into my GPS. With my new phone running the Android operating system, I don't even have to start up GSAK! But, just in case cell phone service is not available, I have loaded all 28 pocket queries that I run on a monthly basis on my Android as a backup.

One pet peeve I have had with the Oregons is that they do not have a file manager. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to move your different pocket queries around from a backup directory to the /gpx directory to get around the 2000/5000 geocache limits? I got around this by taking the SD card out and popping it into my old Palm Centro to manipulate the files. From the beginning, I have always kept all of my pocket queries in a backup directory on the SD card because I never seem to be in the same area more than a day or so and it is a pain to have to start up the laptop to do this.

Anyway, I am not suggesting that everyone dump their handheld GPSr's. But, in the near future, companies such as Garmin must be on the lookout for devices that could put their business model in peril because of a lack of motivation to innovate.

you get for $40+$8+$10 what i get for free...
No I think what I paid for suits my needs better than what you found for free. The cost argument is a straw man though: You get what you pay for, usually. If you really want free maps on the iPhone, you can have those too. I bought the apps I use because I considered them high quality and good value.

Yet I didn't point out the apps I'm using to set up a debate about pricing -- but to knock down the nonsense some folks keep spouting about not being able to use maps on an iPhone (or similarly capable smart phones) unless you're in cellular range. There are so many offline mapping apps (of varying quality, range, and price points) for this supposedly "closed' environment that it's ridiculous!

As for the battery thing, I think I paid $11 for it a couple years ago, and I've gotten my money's worth. But they've gone up quite a bit since then: http://www.thepocketsolution.com/PSI-35159.html -- it might be harder to justify $15 :P What I'd really like would be a USB power port on my bicycle. I'll probably end up building one if I can't find one ready made somewhere at a reasonable price.

As with all electronics, there seems to be a polarization that occurs because a device did something perfect for someone. Frankly, there is room for all manner of these things that makes me ponder why the need to argue against any of them.

That's the neat thing about competition. Diversity of hardware/software/services.

...those maps are different (iPhone) apps and you can't have the topo maps open when in geocaching mode or the other way around, right?
Different apps, yes; but wrong about not being able to use them together. The GC app has its own topo maps that can be stored on the device -- and the app I use for USGS (and Canadian) topos can load GPX files to show cache locations. And I can toggle between either app quickly.

Actually, I think this deserves it's own thread. Especially since I've drifted into some iPhone specific apps now and I dunno if Android (the original thread topic) has comparable one.

---

Edit to add

Here ya go: a shiny new thread, with pictures!

Edited by lee_rimar

please do come back and let us know how it went after you go find some caches in deep woods with lots of tree cover and limited cell coverage

I've found two or three caches with the Android. On the first two finds, I had my Garmin 450 with me and they were within 2-4 ft of each other. On the first hide, the LG Ally showed me 4ft away from the cache while the 450 showed me 6 ft away. As we all know, that is pretty much a statistical tie because the original hider's coordinates could have been off. Oh, and I didn't have to download any geocaches on the phone prior to departing.

I wasn't wowed by just the one Geocache that I found. It was the whole experience. The phone was navigating perfectly and having the satellite imagery was too cool. It got me to the restaurant I wanted to go to and back to the train station. Plus, it was tracking perfectly the whole way and back on the train.

I am planning to take it to the woods for a 4 mile hike very soon. I am hoping that the battery lasts that long and I plan to take my 450 along for the ride too. I do plan to compare how each one does. Though, I am sure the Android will hold up well.

By the way, I don't work for Verizon or LG and I don't own any stock in either company. :-) I'm just a geek who loves new technology. I almost forgot, does anybody know the GPS chipset in an LG Ally?

My dream setup - Nuvi on the dash for turn by turn to the cache (multi designations too), droidx in the pocket for logging and whatever and the 60csx for the grunt work!

:P:D:D

2154-gps-freak.jpg

Agreed , however you can find dozens and dozens of solar chargers that make this a non issue for either device.

... assuming the sun is out when you're caching. or that you're caching during the day for that matter. try doing a lengthy night cache with that!

I have used Garmin's for geocaching for almost 5 years. I have to say that I have now switched to geocaching with my Android Incredible for finding almost all caches. The only time that I am not using my Android phone is if I am going into the deep woods or caching for an extended time. Although there are pros and cons for each, I can't ever see myself buying a dedicated GPS receiver and paying for maps again. The smartphones are a game changer.

... makes me ponder why the need to argue against any of them...
And I usually ponder why people repeat things that are repeatedly proven to be incorrect, or at least non-issues. Observe the several times folks commenting on poor battery life of smart phones and implying there's no practical solution to that. Edited by lee_rimar
Agreed , however you can find dozens and dozens of solar chargers that make this a non issue for either device.

... assuming the sun is out when you're caching. or that you're caching during the day for that matter. try doing a lengthy night cache with that!

They work with ambient light....as for the other night search I would have to be past 2 in the morning .... ridiculous , absolutely ridiculous stretch at a moot point.

Markstang, I have looked at solar chargers and find them overpriced and impractical. Unless you're going to be out and about for SO long that it would be even MORE impractical to carry enough batteries for your expedition - or stop someplace once in a while to buy some.

But to put this back into the context of the original discussion (smartphone usefulness for caching), arguing about battery life is yet another straw man. Some folks want to present battery life as a unique and insurmountable problem for smartphone users. But the need for a steady supply of batteries is common to ANY GPS, phone, or flashlight.

The solution is the same for all: Carry spare batteries.

Edited by lee_rimar

...But to put this back into the context of the original discussion (smartphone usefulness for caching), arguing about battery life is yet another straw man.

Yes Lee it is good that there "are workarounds" to things like the smartphone battery life issue, but to say the issue is therefore "resolved" I think is trying to bury the problem. I often 'cache with my Palm Pre smartphone and yes smartphone geocaching is indeed an awesome experience. But the Palm Pre (specifically) is especially bad with battery usage, I probably couldn't go more than ~2 hours using it with the GPS receiver running :P If I'm walking around most of the day with it, you don't suggest carrying an external cable-attached power supply is an acceptable solution do you? Maybe for you but not for me.

...but to say the (battery life) issue is therefore "resolved" I think is trying to bury the problem. ... the Palm Pre (specifically) is especially bad with battery usage, I probably couldn't go more than ~2 hours using it with the GPS...
Agreed -- two hours use on a Palm Pre, that's terrible.

But thank you for putting it in the correct, specific context, rather than make a blanket statement about all smartphones. You have a problem with your Palm Pre. I don't have a problem with my iPhone 4 (usually manage a whole day without recharging, but carry a set of spare batteries just in case). My 3GS was not as good on battery but still better than what you're quoting for the PalmPre. What's the cliche? YMMV?

So what do you do for your specific case? Change how you use it to economize on battery life, find a practical way to carry spare batteries, or use a different device.

Edited by lee_rimar

If I had a full charge at sun set and for some reason needed to GeoCache at night. I would have a charge for about 5 hours, depending on the time of night, day light savings time in the US or not, 2 in the morning is about when I would run out. I view GeoCaching at night as a risk in a city area as far as Others wondering what the heck you are doing and safety. If I am roughing it and have spent hundreds on camping and cooking and so on, I will certainly spend 40 dollars for another battery.

But Batteries for another full charge on the run take about 30 seconds to remove and another 1 minute for reboot.

I should say I do not GeoCache all night long. for me it is a day hunt, and even then I drive from point to point and keep a full charge while driving. If I should get into camping and Kaiaking more, then a GPS and several Batteries for both would be my choice and power would not really be an issue. As stated solar chargers are very expensive.

I suppose I agree that battery life is a non issue. Water? is another issue.

If I had a full charge at sun set and for some reason needed to GeoCache at night. I would have a charge for about 5 hours, depending on the time of night, day light savings time in the US or not, 2 in the morning is about when I would run out. I view GeoCaching at night as a risk in a city area as far as Others wondering what the heck you are doing and safety. If I am roughing it and have spent hundreds on camping and cooking and so on, I will certainly spend 40 dollars for another battery.

But Batteries for another full charge on the run take about 30 seconds to remove and another 1 minute for reboot.

I should say I do not GeoCache all night long. for me it is a day hunt, and even then I drive from point to point and keep a full charge while driving. If I should get into camping and Kaiaking more, then a GPS and several Batteries for both would be my choice and power would not really be an issue. As stated solar chargers are very expensive.

I suppose I agree that battery life is a non issue. Water? is another issue.

Like I said I think both have a lot of merit. Longer, deep woods trips its all about a GPSR I think. You need something more rugged, waterproof, and better battery.

For shorter trips you can't beat a smartphone. Realtime maps, caches on the fly, all the logs and descriptions you want. As for a solar powered charger, I would never plug on into my smartphone. Many don't have the proper current to give the phone a clean charge. This in turn will destroy the battery.

I found a few more geocaches today. Ten to be exact on a rural road outside of town. I never lost my 3g signal. But, I was ready to cache without 3g because I loaded all of my pocket queries on the phone as a backup measure. I mostly used the compass because I knew that all of the caches were going to be on the same road. At the GZ's my Android (LG Ally) showed me anywhere from 3 - 21 ft from the cache which is what I usually get on my Garmin Oregon 450. So, overall, I am very satisfied. The compass wasn't that great though. Many times it wasn't pointing in the right direction when I would go in search of the next cache. I'm not sure if I have to calibrate it. Geocaching with this thing is still very new to me. The next time I go out, I plan to use both and give you guys a good idea of how an LG Ally running the Android operating system compares to my Oregon 450.

FYI, If you order online and you're getting it as an upgrade, the LG ALLY from Verizon is free right now...I just got mine

Well, I didn't have to pay an activation fee because I was upgrading from a Palm Centro phone. The phone line I use is on a family plan with 4 other phones. You do have to have a data plan with the new smartphones. Verizon charges $30 a month for the data plan. As I said in my earlier post, the data (unlimiited) plan is a non issue for me because I have to have it for work. So, for me it is almost as though I am Geocaching for free. I know that I have the cheapest Android phone at this time which is the LG Ally for $49. My wife has the HTC Incredible which cost $199. The prices I mentioned are contract prices. These phones retail for $300+ without a contract.

I used my Droid today for the first time useing the c:geo app. Love it. I love my Colorado and have not had many issues using it like some have had. I like mine. However, the droid app I like because for these reasons:

I don't have to remember to download the cache on my device ahead of time. It just goes out an find them based on location or what ever.

I can post my find right from the cache site

I can see the entire cache page from where ever I am at

The phone said I was with in 7 feet of the cache. Colorado said 35. Heavy tree cover in the area.

I can see several different map views including satellite view on goggle maps.

I am wondering how this violates my user agreement on Geocache.com like the one member stated. ????

What program are you using when you insert gps coordinates manually and want to navigate to that point? I have an android device (Samsung Galaxy S) but i'm having trouble of finding programs where i can insert the coordinates manually. Google maps only shows the nearest road point when i try to search a coordinate point manually (if the actual point is in the forest, google maps shows me the nearest road coordinate)

I don't have to remember to download the cache on my device ahead of time. It just goes out an find them based on location or what ever.

You still need to download each individual cache which takes time.. Too much time if your in a shady spot.. Now if your in a dead spot, forget it.. What will you do than??

The Colorado 450 you can log everything as soon as you get home.. Plug it in and it uploads from there.. Fast and painless also..

Only if your in a good cell service and again, you have to wait for it to load up and after download the GPX file.

The phone said I was with in 7 feet of the cache. Colorado said 35. Heavy tree cover in the area.

A pro needs to answer this one..

OK, again.. You must have cell service and 3G coverage.. I was in a bad area and tried to access my Google map to see where the road was compared to where I was and it was a no go.. No coverage, no data, no nothing..

I am wondering how this violates my user agreement on Geocache.com like the one member stated. ????

So you know, I love my Blackberry and been using it for a Month Geocaching. Phones in "MY" opinion is not made for outdoors. I have dropped my Storm 2, twice in two weeks and the screen got destroyed.. Now, I have no more insurance on it so it can't be replaced.. You cant use them in the rain either risking water damage.. Now I got the Colorado 450 and I can't put it down..

Agreed with the battery statement!! Wife and I started with the iPhone and the GC app is good for maybe 4hrs maaaaybe 5 with me shutting it off in between. Of course running the GC app and the Motion X GPS app the phone lasts 3hrs. Motion X app is fantastic for coords, wyps, maps, real time tracking all sorts of stuff!! But because of battery life and deep cover hikes I am now looking into the Garmin 60CXs

You still need to download each individual cache which takes time.. Too much time if your in a shady spot.. Now if your in a dead spot, forget it.. What will you do than??

The Colorado 450 you can log everything as soon as you get home.. Plug it in and it uploads from there.. Fast and painless also..

Only if your in a good cell service and again, you have to wait for it to load up and after download the GPX file.

A pro needs to answer this one..

OK, again.. You must have cell service and 3G coverage.. I was in a bad area and tried to access my Google map to see where the road was compared to where I was and it was a no go.. No coverage, no data, no nothing..

So you know, I love my Blackberry and been using it for a Month Geocaching. Phones in "MY" opinion is not made for outdoors. I have dropped my Storm 2, twice in two weeks and the screen got destroyed.. Now, I have no more insurance on it so it can't be replaced.. You cant use them in the rain either risking water damage.. Now I got the Colorado 450 and I can't put it down..

Those would be cases when I would make sure I have the Colorado. My droid has both GPS and 3G. Most of the time I would think about doing a cache at the spur of the moment I would only do if I had service to get the cache info. If I did not have service I wouldn't be doing the cache anyway because I was not prepared. I like the idea of just being able to bring this info up. I'm not sure why download and upload was even brought up. When I posted my log it was instant. This is broadband. If I did not have service it would just upload on the way home when we drove through and area with service.

We went geocaching with our Androids yesterday. My wife got an HTC Incredible and I got the LG Ally. I think the units are very comparable except for the fact that my wife's Incredible seems a little faster. But, hers was $199 and mine was only $49. Anyway, I installed the official Geocaching application at $9 each. I wish I had tried C:Geo first because it seems to be a better app. Anyway, I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with the Android experience while geocaching. If these phones had a decent battery life and were rugged, I would trade in my Oregon 450 and my wife's 300. I definitely see the market for stand-alone GPS's dwindling over the next three years because of the Androids and the iPhones.

First off, it was nice not having to pay a couple of hundred dollars for City Navigator, topo maps, and Birdseye imagery for these phones because Google supplies all of the terrain and satellite maps that I could ever need. I know that currently these maps won't work when you leave a 3G service area. So, there is a limitation there. But, the screen redraws seemed quicker than on our Oregons. Also, it was real nice logging my finds in real time. The Oregons have paperless geocaching, but I still have to plug the unit into a computer to log the finds.

E-trex Legend (blue)

E-trex Legend HCx

Oregon 200 (2)

Oregon 300

I too used the Geocaching.com application on my phone today. Because I did I was able to notice a cache get placed that day and was able to get a FTF! Using the Phone App definitaly has its plusses.

E-trex Legend (blue)

E-trex Legend HCx

Oregon 200 (2)

Oregon 300

I too used the Geocaching.com application on my phone today. Because I did I was able to notice a cache get placed that day and was able to get a FTF! Using the Phone App definitaly has its plusses.

I get notified by email when this happens so yes, my BB would be perfect for that when Im on the go and get a notification.

I use Trimble's Geocache Navigator on my Blackberry. Battery life hasn't been a problem, and I have been finding cache's in urban and wooded areas.

I am probably going to purchase a gpsr for better accuracy in the woods, as the compass and coordinates get wonky and are slow to update in deep wood cover. But, the added advantages are huge - the ability to find nearest caches anywhere I go without ever having to load pocket queries. Brilliant.