Can Geocaching be done with any of the car units

rockstar_not

Sure.

But be aware that some Auto GPS units don't allow you to enter coordinates which might be an issue depending upon your use. Some offer limited zoom levels so you may not be able to zoom in closely enough. And most are not waterproof nor particularly rugged in construction.

So just be aware that there might be some limitations but you can use it to get started.

Can Geocaching be done with any of the units designed for in-car use and driving directions?

In addition to Motorcycle_Mama's points, a car GPS is designed for driving, so you should select it to "pedestrian mode" off-road (if it has that setting), unless the cache is in the middle of a street. It only knows mapped streets, and is designed to shift its display to the nearest street (so it won't look like you're driving between streets, for example).

My car GPSr will show a route all the way around a park, then cut straight through, even if it would be simpler to just walk directly to it. I tried it for one day, just watching coordinates count down as I walked. It was extremely tedious for Geocaching, except that I might someday use it to double-check coordinates for hiding a container.

Edited by kunarion

I use the car GPS to reach a cache, then change to a handheld 'proper' GPS to go from the car to the cache.

To reach the cache I think a handheld one to be far accurate, especially when the cache is well hidden without many clues for example.

I use my TomTom One 125 and it will take me to right on top of the cache every time. The only problem is that it's battery life is so short that it isn't practical for any caches that are too far off the beaten path. That's why I've invested in a handheld. Much better battery life.

Can Geocaching be done with any of the units designed for in-car use and driving directions?

I've only ever used my Garmin Nuvi. When you turn it on, it says, "Where to?". Click that and then push the down arrow in the lower right hand corner until you come to "Coordinates". Press that and you will get the coordinates where you are standing. You have to push "Back" and "Coordinates" several times while you are walking around, but to me it isn't any different than texting. Hope this helps!

I have a TomTom ONE which can take GPS coordinates and it's great for navigating me close to the cache by road. However when I first started out I tried it for finding the caches themselves and although it did work, it was quite frustrating and confusing to use. As you are trying to get to a 'goal' without any frame of reference and a screen which rotates according to what direction it thinks you are travelling in (which isn't always the same as reality) and it doesn't give you an accurate enough countdown of distance. I did find some caches, but it wasn't a great experience.

On top of this if you switched it off to put it into your pocket you'd have to go through the whole getting a fix procedure all over again when you switch it back on. Plus it's quite bulky to hold when out and about.

In short it can be done but I'd recommend a proper hand held GPS for the final half mile to the cache location.

Thanks for the tips! Looks like it might be possible with the Garmin 5xx series, and maybe some TomTom units.

It's possible with nearly any automotive unit. That doesn't mean it's a good idea. The Garmin 500 series is the only exception that I'm aware of, but even with the 500 it is kind of awkward walking around holding that square thing, with no lanyard to help keep it safe.

When we started, We used a Nuvi265 for Geocaching (and a 1st gen Vista.) It worked ok.. Had as good reception as my Vista (poor in the trees) (bad compared to my 60csx), but no compass that I could find and the zoom didn't get close enough for me. It does have a Pedestrian and Off-road mode (two different places to turn them on/off). Used the POI loader to just put everything on the FlashCard. (If you write protect the flash card, it will not be able to copy the POIs to the internal memory. Something we liked since it just adds them into Favorites and are a pain to remove at that point)

We've used our Nuvi265 and it worked Ok... It has Pedestrian/OffRoad mode. We couldn't find a compass and the zoom didn't get tight enough on the maps.

It had poor reception in the trees. About the same as our 1st gen Vista, but much worse than our new 60csx's.

We picked up a transparent waterproof pouch with a lanyard to hold it in...

I also found a GSAK macro that does a good job of getting alot of the descriptions in the POI file, so we still bring it along just for the paperless aspect. (we also have an iTouch for paperless as well, so we each have one...)