For the grown ups.

Claudis192

I've a few kids caches waiting to be activated by admin but was thinking why should the kids get all the fun. The caches i've placed have lots of Bouncy Balls, Toys, Rubber Animals and figures, Bangles, Toy Keyrings. Puzzles and general luckybag style things from my drawer of endless disappointment for grownups.

I Just want a drawer for us big people. I want to make a "Fur Grown Ups" cache next.

I know alcohol is kinda forbidden and i can understand nobody wants their kid finding my cache and walking home rubber. I just wanted to know what people really like to find in a cache.

What would be a great FTF prize?

I was thinking of having FTF Medals customized or even A customized 3D engraved Crystal FTF Prize paperweight. What would you treasure as a great FTF Prize and what kinda loot do you guys like?

I've placed compass carabiners and keyrings in the past. They all got swiped but i wanted more variety.

What loot have you guys/gals found that you really treasure?

Edited by Claudis192

As an adult I like a variety of stuff some of it kid like.

I tend to leave lanyards in caches on/off for the adult folk. I like finding some camping/hiking supplies, tiny tools, pins and stuff like that. I also like the small plastic animals and various signature items.

I've seen stuff like cheap sunglasses, individual packets of bug repellent and/or sunscreen.

My favorite neutral cache was all themed to one country and had car decals from Finland, little Finnish flags and stickers. Stuff like that. I thought that was wonderfully cool.

As an adult I like a variety of stuff some of it kid like.

I tend to leave lanyards in caches on/off for the adult folk. I like finding some camping/hiking supplies, tiny tools, pins and stuff like that. I also like the small plastic animals and various signature items.

My favorite swag item I traded for was a lanyard from some Italian forestry service that I picked up in a cache in Rome. It's still attached to my GPS.

I'm kind of partial to pictures of Ben Franklin and bars of gold.

HA! Is it possible to get Eva Longoria or Angelina Jolie in a cache? You could put that inside a labyrinth of razor wire and I'd FTF it.

For Angie I'd race you...

She's here with me now - I'll let her know you said Hi :laughing:

How do you feel about sharing?

Back on topic... sometimes at the holidays target and walmart and like stores have those cheap "gifts" waaaay marked down (after the holidays). Or holiday ornaments that won't break I've seen in caches too and those have been fun.

I've a few kids caches waiting to be activated by admin but was thinking why should the kids get all the fun. The caches i've placed have lots of Bouncy Balls, Toys, Rubber Animals and figures, Bangles, Toy Keyrings. Puzzles and general luckybag style things from my drawer of endless disappointment for grownups.

I Just want a drawer for us big people. I want to make a "Fur Grown Ups" cache next.

I know alcohol is kinda forbidden and i can understand nobody wants their kid finding my cache and walking home rubber. I just wanted to know what people really like to find in a cache.

What would be a great FTF prize?

I was thinking of having FTF Medals customized or even A customized 3D engraved Crystal FTF Prize paperweight. What would you treasure as a great FTF Prize and what kinda loot do you guys like?

I've placed compass carabiners and keyrings in the past. They all got swiped but i wanted more variety.

What loot have you guys/gals found that you really treasure?

Have just to say that the idea is good but, ... I keep finding 'adult things'' in caches that dont impress me at all ie. Condoms, rude pictures and Dam cloths. Not the sort of things for a child to find

The majority of the swag we carry is for kids, as it’s generally kiddy stuff my boys are trading it for. But I do also like to keep an eye out for items that adults would appreciate, at the moment I carry an assortment of geocaching related pin badges, those little keyring LED torches, golfing sets (6 tees and 3 markers in a little carry case that clips to your belt or bag), some nice little notebooks with a big smiley face on the front that people can take and use as log books in their own caches, battery holders for spares, and some really nice fans (the oriental paper kind, in Ziploc baggies of course)

I have quickly figured out the perfect thing to leave as a trade (or even just to leave something in a cache). I bought up a ton of little silver jewelry charms (leaves, feathers, hearts etc) and put them in tiny little baggies with a tag that says: A good luck charm from JasNBex. I can buy them in multi packs and cost roughly 4.5 cents each cache. Cheap and IMHO a really cool thing to find in a cache, if you are not interested in Happy Meal toys. We also like to collect "signature" items and have also dropped some poker chips we made with our logo on them.

Have just to say that the idea is good but, ... I keep finding 'adult things'' in caches that dont impress me at all ie. ...... and Dam cloths. Not the sort of things for a child to find

Ok, now I am curious. What is a dam cloth? (Please don't explain it here if it is something rude, I will acept a PM)

Google seems to think it is either a cloth for cleaning various materials including alluminium, widely available in DIY stores. Or it suggests I meant to search for "damp cloths" which are used for cleaning computer screens amongst other things.

Sorry to be OT but you got me curious!

I particularly like anything I can wear/collect/pin on/or clip to. Jewlery, charms, interesting beads, coins, pins, old estate sale broaches and earings, also biners and key chains.

My absolute favorite item of swag is a small hand beaded seed bead bracelet with a clasp. It is simple and elegant, hand made with care, and I wear it all the time.

I loved the idea so much that I began to make my own (I use elastic cord instead of clasps) but they look fabulous, are not expensive, fit in any cache film cannister or bigger, and will work for a youngster or adult.

Hate it swag ideas: Moist wipes, regular ink pens, Wisps (those toothbrush thingys), chapstick, toiletries.

For my first hide - the only one so far - I left a print of a modest e-voucher for one of the geocaching supplies shops; enough to get a cheap micro GC or a pack of travel bugs. I tried to deter the usual FTF suspects by suggesting in the cache description that it might be nice if someone new to the game found it.

Alas, one of the more prolific cachers did go for the FTF, but was kind enough to leave the voucher for the next visitor...who did turn out to be on single digit finds.

Have just to say that the idea is good but, ... I keep finding 'adult things'' in caches that dont impress me at all ie. Condoms, rude pictures and Dam cloths. Not the sort of things for a child to find

You must have some sick cachers over there. While I've only been at this since '04, I have never found anything like those things in a cache. Not that I would want to, but it's rather remarkable that you have found so much stuff like that in only 6 months or so.

You must have some sick cachers over there. While I've only been at this since '04, I have never found anything like those things in a cache. Not that I would want to, but it's rather remarkable that you have found so much stuff like that in only 6 months or so.

I’m from the UK, as is Scooby666, and I’ve been caching for nigh on 3 years and haven’t found anything icky like that in a cache yet, I’m glad to report! they must be very unlucky!

Try googling the phrase "dental dam."

Oh. Oh dear. I see.

What a sheltered life I must have led.

I think if I have ever found one in a cache I wouldn't have known what it was. Mind you, one reference in Google states "Dental dams can be hard to find, not to mention expensive". So definately 'trading up' going on, which is unusual.

Right, enough of this, sorry I asked but thank you very much for making me more worldly wise.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I think i'll get some Geocoins and i'll get some signiture pin badges or tokens made up. I'll also get some military stuff aswell. Maybe a self cooking hotcan for the hungry cacher, Some flint strikers and maybe some cheap binoculars. I was thinking of making the next cache a multicache with maybe a book cypher code involved. I know this would make the cache much harder to find. But being an adult cache I was thinking it might be a nice welcome challenge. I want this cache to be really hard to find so that the hunt is worth the cost of the loot. Anyone ever tried a book cypher cache before? Do people like them?

Edited by Claudis192
Maybe a self cooking hotcan for the hungry cacher
Better check the guidelines again: "Food items are always a bad idea. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache."

Even if the food item is perfectly sealed so animals won't find it, and so it can't spill and ruin the other cache contents, would you eat something you found in a cache? Would you expect any other geocachers to do so?

I was thinking of making the next cache a multicache with maybe a book cypher code involved.
Some will disagree, but around here, a cache that involved a book cipher would be listed as a puzzle/mystery cache, rather than as a multi-cache.

Anyone ever tried a book cypher cache before? Do people like them?
I've done them before, and I enjoy them. But not everyone enjoys ciphers, and many ignore multi-caches and puzzle/mystery caches as a matter of course.

...Some flint strikers and maybe some cheap binoculars. ...

Not sure if these would fall foul of: Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache.

(The flint strikers that is, not the binoculars)

Although your cache is going to be aimed at adults, kids will be present when a family finds it and you don't want them taking stuff without their parents noticing that could cause a problem. So don't go too far with the adult theme and end up falling foul of the guidelines.