batteries

buteo

Are there any gps that do not use aa batteries?

Are you wanting a GPS with built in batteries that need to be charged like a Cell phone ? If you think about the reason for using aa batteries you might come to the same conclusion. If you are lost some place and your gps batteries go dead you might have some extras with you or may have a flash light ect, With the same size in it. ???HMMM.

I don't understand why GPSr's areen't rechargeable like a cell phone. They could also be made with a slimmer profile. I understand not being able to charge the battery in a forest, but I don't cache in places that are too far from my car.

You do realize that GPSr are not just for geocaching. I use mine for a lot of things. I use it to mark hunting locations as well as for hiking trails. And I know I have needed to change out my batteries several times while out hiking or geocaching. I am glad that they take common AA batteries and not some nonstandard battteries.

I don't understand why GPSr's areen't rechargeable like a cell phone. They could also be made with a slimmer profile. I understand not being able to charge the battery in a forest, but I don't cache in places that are too far from my car.

You do realize that GPSr are not just for geocaching. I use mine for a lot of things. I use it to mark hunting locations as well as for hiking trails. And I know I have needed to change out my batteries several times while out hiking or geocaching. I am glad that they take common AA batteries and not some nonstandard battteries.

why not at least have the option for a charger?

I don't understand why GPSr's aren't rechargeable like a cell phone. They could also be made with a slimmer profile. I understand not being able to charge the battery in a forest, but I don't cache in places that are too far from my car.

You may not cache in places too far from your car but there are millions of cachers all over the world.

A great many of us DO cache in places that are far from the car. My idea of a PNG is anything less than a quarter mile from where I park and I deliberately seek out caches that are on hiking trails. A good day of caching means that I hiked at least a couple of miles. I carry no less than 4 new batteries for my GPS, usually there's six in my carry case.

If you want to be able to recharge your batteries, invest in rechargeables and be prepared to call it a day if and when they won't work and you're not carrying spares.

If you want to be able to recharge your batteries, invest in rechargeables and be prepared to call it a day if and when they won't work and you're not carrying spares.

My rechargeables last 12 plus hours in my 76CSx. I'm generally willing to call it a day when they run down. But then with regular batteries you have to carry spares for when they run down, so why the distinction on rechargeables? Just carry another set of rechargeables, problem solved.

Edited by jholly

The garmin Rino's (well the newer ones, not the older ones) all have Lithium-Ion batteries.

However, they also have an "adapter" that you can plug AA batteries into and use in place of the Lith-Ion battery, so if you're out in middle of nowhere, you can use off the shelf batteries if you can't recharge yours.

I don't understand why GPSr's aren't rechargeable like a cell phone. They could also be made with a slimmer profile. I understand not being able to charge the battery in a forest, but I don't cache in places that are too far from my car.

The original eXplorists had a very nice Lithium Ion rechargeable battery. It was actually a very common cell phone battery. It was easy to charge in the unit; you did not have to keep removing AAs and charging all the time. You could charge it with USB, car charger or AC wall wart. So, it was easy just like cell phones. As a back up it had a tray that holds 3 AAAs. My eXplorist 500 still works great, but is not my primary GPSr. I miss the charging feature because my primary GPSr needs a newly charged pair of AAs at every use, which is several times a week.

This might be an usefull,I use it all the time.

My Triton 400 uses AA batteries... they tend to last a good days worth of geocaching. I've found rechargeable AAs to be a great investment.

Now... the question is would I prefer a rechargeable lithium cel? Naw... For the $30 a spare lithium battery would cost I could get dozen sets of rechargeable AAs - and the AA batteries fit my keyboard, mouse, flashlight, and shower radio. And, if I'm camping I can swap them out of a flashlight if necessary. (Bah! Who needs to see in the dark latter when there's caching to be done NOW!?!?!)

This might be an usefull,I use it all the time.

Can't find any specifications for that specific device on their web site at solarsales.org / solarwholesales.org (redirect). Before buying, I'd have to know what the available charge current is at full sun on that unit http://www.solarwholesales.org/product.sc?...mp;categoryId=6 They do show some specs for some of the other larger models.

To charge two 2500mAh NiMH AA cells (total of 5Ah capacity) in 10 hours of full sun, you'd need something capable of generating a bit more (not 100% efficient conversion) than 250mA x 2 channels at about 1.5V float voltage (about 750mW) for those 10 hours. I doubt something as small as this unit will deliver that kind of power. Their much larger fold-out unit only delivers 200mA @ 6V (1200mW).

Edited by ecanderson