September 2010 Photo Compitition

grand-moff

Thanks to Haggis Hunter for choosing my shot to be the winner (and also for the gentle reminder to start this months comp).

Please get your photos posted on this thread before the 1st of October

The rules are the same as the previous 6 months

1) The only hard and fast rule is that the photo must be cache related and to do with a specific cache, caching series or caching trip. There should be a hyperlink(s) to the cache(s) in the post. The cache(s) must be from the UK or Ireland.

The following rules are open to interpretation/flexibility/judges whim...

2) Two photos per cacher per month (give or take).

3) A new thread is started each month, with the OP stating these rules.

4) The winner each month is decided by the winner from the previous month - the new winner starting the thread for the subsequent month. They may set a theme if they wish.

5) Photos should be recent if possible. (No debates as to what recent means! This rule is flexible.)

6) The competition runs from the 1st of the month, until a date specified in the OP by the previous months winner. This should give sufficient time for the winner (or other person if necessary) to start the new thread.

If you haven't already uploaded a photo, a good tip might be to upload to one of your log entries (it can just be 'post a note'). Then, display the photo and copy the URL to provide a link to the post. If it's not actually relevant to the cache you've used, delete the note and the photo - the URL will still work.

Thanks again and I look forward to seeing all your cache related shots.

wow!!!!

My thoughts exactly! Beautifully focussed & exposed, lovely colours and perfect depth of field.

Is it worth even bothering putting a photo in this month? :mellow:

My only criticism would be you've chopped the top of the flower off. :)

But seriously, you should get that picture into a photo agency site - I can see that photo selling to magazines/ad agencies.

@murphyz I didn't know photoshopped entries were allowed?

I'm not sure either - which is why I ask as such in my post; the rules in the first post do not indicate either way.

This image hasn't actually been photoshopped; it's HDR which is taking 3 different shots of the same thing in quick succession and with different exposures, so you have one 'normal' one underexposed and one overexposed. When combined and tonemapped they appear significantly altered.

I guess the rule would be 'no post-processing' rather than specifying purely photoshop. The problem is, nowadays things like the latest iPhone have the ability to shoot in HDR so it's going to get harder and harder to tell. This certainly is post-processed, but not chopped.

I think everyone knows what a HDR image is. I only asked because it seems a bit pointless to have a competition to capture the natural beauty of the outdoors and then edit it to perfection…

Hmm I better not enter then :rolleyes: that pretty much describes all my photography lol :laughing::)

Edited by Deego

There's only 1 hard & fast rule - all the others are open to interpretation, and none mentions post-processing. Some of my pictures are from RAW files, so they HAVE to be post-processed, even if its just using the defaults in Picasa (produces rather dull lifeless pictures if I'm honest).

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of HDR. Used subtly (ie to mimic the eye's response to a scene) it can help lift a landscape - blown-out clouds are very distracting and can completely wreck an otherwise good shot.

Don't take it the wrong way, but to my eyes, that canal boat is a bit over the line of too much - the sky is just TOO strong. The sky draws the eye away from the boat, which is the subject.

But its personal preference - not everyone likes marmite either. It'd be a dull world if we all produced the same shots.

:)

I think everyone knows what a HDR image is. I only asked because it seems a bit pointless to have a competition to capture the natural beauty of the outdoors and then edit it to perfection…

I didn't know what HDR was until this weekend. Thanks for the visual and written explanation. Im going to look into this now. Although Im not one to alter any of my images, except creating a few B&W version. :)

Mark

A bit of processing is surely ok - it's what photographers have always done from B&W days, cropping, playing with the exposure etc.

I process nearly all of mine, but usually only a small amount which takes just a few seconds, and improves the lighting levels a bit. Just making the best of a 'good' thing! If it's over done, then you can usually tell, and if the judge doesn't like the heavily processed look, they can always pick another.

The canal boat one is a great pic, but doesn't look like I'd imagine it would look if I stood there - it has a touch of Hollywood disaster movie look to it! Again, not a criticism as it's a striking pic and very dramatic - but you either like the look or you don't. (And of course, sometimes nature does do a look that you wouldn't believe unless you were there.)

When I first looked at it I thought it was of some horrific canal boat smash up!! :rolleyes::):laughing:

No processed images? Oh. So this one is out then?

98vl06.jpg

Is this what you call not knowing when to stop?

St Michaels Mount (obviously) taken from GC24T6W

I'll try and find something more natural for next month. :D

Editing was briefly discussed in the original thread. I neglected to put it into the original comprehensive / legally binding set of rules.

Maybe the following could be added for Octobers comp' -

Rule 7) or maybe 2 1/2) If the photo has more than the usual cropping, rotating, slight changes in exposure etc, the photographer should say what they've done to alter the picture.

This cache provided much fun. With Drarok saying 'It could be anywhere, even on the fence post!' Which is where it actually was!

62262_427588055035_566565035_5114245_7329073_n.jpg Lovely green fields!!!

61906_427587190035_566565035_5114202_5150312_n.jpg Some near by cows. I think the Malvern Hills are in the background. [:D]

This cache was more fun for me than it was for Drarok as i'm super childish and went sploshing around in the ford [:)]

61006_427587565035_566565035_5114218_2012042_n.jpg A flutterby the landed next to me!

60476_427610720035_566565035_5114778_779433_n.jpg A lady bug on a plant. I don't even know what plant that is. Anyone know? [:D]

UpabovePendeen.jpg

Taken on my phone while on route to GC184FY

The lanscape takes in the village of Pendeen, Geevor Mine and the Levant mine area.

We were diverting to the cache while completing the Trewellard Trail series. The views were well worth the walk and climb.

How are you getting such good panorama shots on phones?! What device and app do you use? I one we have for iPhone 4 is pants ;)

UpabovePendeen.jpg

Taken on my phone while on route to GC184FY

The lanscape takes in the village of Pendeen, Geevor Mine and the Levant mine area.

We were diverting to the cache while completing the Trewellard Trail series. The views were well worth the walk and climb.

How are you getting such good panorama shots on phones?! What device and app do you use? I one we have for iPhone 4 is pants ;)

Using a Samsung Omnia with a Panorama setting (5.0Mb) the phone does it all, I just line up the first frame and press the shutter and the phone does the rest it just takes each section when the image is right and then I click to finish. I use it when I can't be bothered to carry a camera, tripod and panoram gadget.

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Using a Samsung Omnia with a Panorama setting (5.0Mb) the phone does it all, I just line up the first frame and press the shutter and the phone does the rest it just takes each section when the image is right and then I click to finish. I use it when I can't be bothered to carry a camera, tripod and panoram gadget.

That's how I do mine too - the camera on the omnia is quite something for a phone camera. The GPS on the phone is also spot on most of the time, although I do find it doesn't like tree cover very much.

Thanks for your kind comments about my wasp pic. :laughing: I took it on a Canon Ixus point and shoot. I am not a big fan of wasps (understatement) so I kept nipping in, taking a shot and then running away again. Most of my attempts were a bit blurry! That was the best of the bunch, so I had to sacrifice the top of the flower, I am afraid.

HolleyR - your ladybird is on a sweet chestnut tree, and the flutterby is a comma

For people who don't have a phone with a panorama mode and fancy having a go at panorama shots, you could always try Autostitch, which is free to download and use and does a pretty good job. I was recommended it by another geocacher.

Okay, here's a few from this month.

First two were cache maintenance trips, first on Hutton Roof. Stone balancing has become popular and we added the three smaller stones to this raised slab. Hutton Roof

3bd64f07-c4e2-49ab-8f58-5dfcb9c7cd65.jpg

Invitation or guard dog? Spidle Woods

2effcaf5-ed88-4db6-b3b5-2e7d9339531b.jpg

Two from an early morning trip to Coniston. This is Yew Tree Tarn just below Holme Fell

Mist on the surface as it was a cold night. Sun just hitting the trees.

62b1ac54-4d53-4ed5-8b23-a7466ae59438.jpg

Reeds in the perfectly still water:

5e882426-4e86-4eec-810f-710091bd8ddf.jpg

HolleyR - your ladybird is on a sweet chestnut tree, and the flutterby is a comma

Thank you! I'm from Manchester so all this country side goes straight over my head :ph34r:

You're most welcome. One of the good things about caching is the chance to get out and see this stuff and if I spot something that I cannot indentify, such as an interesting plant or insect, I do try to Google for it later so I will know next time!

Right time to announce the winner, sorry for the delay I have been quite busy this weekend.

ivanidea - I really love the action in this shot and I also love the angle it was taken at the only critisim I would have is that it could do with being a little punchier and a bit more detail in the Jeep.

Alibags - As everyone has mentioned this is an awesome shot and the focusing, exposure, depth of field and composition are perfect.

murphyz - I really love the way HDR shots come out with dramatic skies and vibrant colours, and although this is a great image for me I like to see a little less after processing in this type of competition (I know this wasn't stipulated in the rules but like I said that just me).

Lovejoy and Tinker - Love the tongue in cheek statement.

Pippas Crew - Got to love modern technology haven't you, before to get this type of shot you had to pay thousands for a special camera or to painstakingly stick separate photos together. The main thing I like about this image is that you have included someone in the foreground to give it a great sense of perspective.

HolleyR - The shot of the butterfly is fantastic and beautifully focused, the only thing is it is slightly under exposed if you put this through photoshop you could really make this look fantastic.

DrDic&Vick - I really love the sky in this shot and it does show that we can have some nice weather in this country. Looks a really nice place to visit. I really wish I could get a closer look though as I can't see a lot of detail in the landscape.

MaxiP - This image show why the Lakes has to be one of the prettiest places in this country. This is a really nice shot and it makes me want to be there.

The Bloranges - I really like the shot of the gates it makes me wonder what type of secret garden lies behind. The shot of the naked ladies in front of the cottage is also very good and shows how lovely and (for fear of sounding like an American) quaint Cornwall is.

markandLynn - I really like what you have tried to do with this photo its just a shame that the foreground wasn't more in focus.

Keehotee - I thought this shot was fantastic and I really love the abstract nature. It also shows the friendship and fun this hobby can bring. I really like the idea that in a few years time the owner of this cast will look back at this photo and a ton of memories will come flooding back.

martlakes - I love the shot of the lake the colours of the trees are great and also the stone balancing, I too have given this a go and it can make for a really good shot, if you would have gotten a little lower with the camera the rock would have stood out more making for a slightly better photo.

The Chaos Crew - I really like this shot and it shows the great sense of adventure geocachers have and the mad things we will do to find tupperware.

So before I announce the winner I'd just like to say thankyou all for entering and I hope no one take offense to my criticisms. These are only my opinions and weren't meant to cause any offense whatsoever.

So to the winner after much deliberation it came down to 2 images Alibags wasp and Keehotees plaster cast and although the wasp was the best shot by far it came down to the fact that the image of the cast was so abstract and fun and I don't think it would look out of place in a modern art gallery.

So the winner by a very small margin is Keehotee congratulations