Flat Waterproof Containers

Hi

I have a cache which uses a cheap magnetic key safe. It has the log in a plastic bag but still gets wet. It sits on the back of a metal railing and using a film pot is too obvious so ideally want something waterproof and slimline (about 100mm x 40mm x 10mm thick). I can fit magnets to it and paint if necessary.

Any ideas??

sounds like you need something with an o-ring in it.

I have seen small waterproof containers but they are generally cylindrical in aspect rather than flat. I have come across some flat containers that are waterproof, but they are sadly too large to meet your requirements.

Have you thought of adapting something like a soft plastic waterproof mp3 pouch?

like one of these?

Waterproof pouch

Tsiolkovsky

I am thinking that maybe I go for the small sample bottles and disguise them inside some square section material. Will see if something like wiring conduit might do the trick painted black but lets see what others think. Also maybe a square section of wood with hole drilled to take tube.

Edited by ForsdykeFinders

Hi

I have a cache which uses a cheap magnetic key safe. It has the log in a plastic bag but still gets wet. It sits on the back of a metal railing and using a film pot is too obvious so ideally want something waterproof and slimline (about 100mm x 40mm x 10mm thick). I can fit magnets to it and paint if necessary.

Any ideas??

Does it have to sit there? What's the significance of the railing?

We have had success using a mag key safe in combination with waterproof paper. The paper is not cheap but works really well. When we first got it I printed a map on it using a standard inkjet printer, took it straight to the kitchen and ran it under the tap and rubbed it and... not a smudge. Only problem we have had is when someone finds it wet (and perfectly useable) and swops it for a dry piece of normal paper... which only lasts for a week or two. MaxKim

I also found that the keysafes get wet too quickly - so went to (advertising) Hobbycraft and found that they do a really small lock type box in black or clear (if you get the clear one the standard humbrol enamel paints work, camo green/brown)- removed the magnets from the keysafe and stuck them on with super glue and Robert's your mother's brother. Have sourced some rare earth "super" miniature magnets on the interweb thingee and look forward to sticking small plastic boxes in all manner of places

Geronimo! :P

palujia

No,

the tiny ones are about 75 pence each - but they have "lock and lock" type clips with a grooved top going into a tounged box. Mine seem to be ok having been out in the worst of the weather for the last 3 months.

They have (had?) them on offer at the local hobby craft and a pack of 8 was only a couple of squids. Have tried both the clear (painted with humbrol enamel) and black - The black ones seem to blend in to the background as well as the camo'd ones so will continue with them. I have bought some of the larger ones

(as shown) and they also work a treat - saving them for my next series !! (As a further thought) I also scour the local £1 and 99pence shops as they also have a decent selection of all sizes of lock type containers)

Hope this helps

Tough size/shape to find waterproof. Closest I know of is the following wallet case

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/cardcase-caribiner.html

and this is a waterproof battery case

http://www.inanycase.com/Merchant2/merchan...Product_Count=8

shrugs....you can probably find similar stuff at other stores if you do some searches.

Those are really rather good arn't they. Although I do wonder what the phrase "used traditionally" means in relation to the battery case :)

Tough size/shape to find waterproof. Closest I know of is the following wallet case

http://www.thewaterproofstore.com/cardcase-caribiner.html

and this is a waterproof battery case

http://www.inanycase.com/Merchant2/merchan...Product_Count=8

shrugs....you can probably find similar stuff at other stores if you do some searches.

I've not used the battery case but I did use one of the card cases. Mine was red and I found it in the local ASDA on a display with a lot of other stuff for travellers (tourists, not pikeys). It certainly seemed to be waterproof but in the end it proved too fragile, the plastic it was made from was too brittle and the lid snapped off at the hinge.

They look good. Where do you get them from and are they expensive?

I took a look at The Hobbystore ones and they are dead cheap and there is a huge range. Problem is that the lid is a rattling good fit and no way they will stay waterproof for long. Real shame as the black ones are ideal.

I have imported a number of them from US...!!

I have popped on one ebay !

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...=STRK:MESELX:IT

If you want to buy, purchase through ebay, send me a message and I will pop in another free of charge in the envelope !

If you want to buy, purchase through ebay, send me a message and I will pop in another free of charge in the envelope !

I bought a couple in ASDA a few months ago... Pretty sure I paid less that £2.95 for them. They did prove to be waterproof but fragile around the hinge. The ones I had were broken by careless cachers within a few weeks of putting them out. Hope yours last longer :huh:

I bought a couple in ASDA a few months ago... Pretty sure I paid less that £2.95 for them. They did prove to be waterproof but fragile around the hinge. The ones I had were broken by careless cachers within a few weeks of putting them out. Hope yours last longer :huh:

I dont make any profit on any item I sell..... I just do it to supply... hence the low postage... less than It costs me !!!

I have had them in situ for a few months now and X fingers ok.... !

If they fail, I would expect people to return them to me, and I will make full refund...

So 2 caches for £2.95 and full refund if they fail.... can you really complain about the deal !

Robin

I dont make any profit on any item I sell..... I just do it to supply... hence the low postage... less than It costs me !!!

I have had them in situ for a few months now and X fingers ok.... !

If they fail, I would expect people to return them to me, and I will make full refund...

So 2 caches for £2.95 and full refund if they fail.... can you really complain about the deal !

Robin

Ahh... I seem to have given the wrong impression... sorry. I wasn't criticising your price. Of course they will be more expensive if you import them from America and you have every right to expect to get your money back. I just hope they are a little stronger (or the finders a little less 'ham-fisted' ) than the ones I obtained. :P