hi from a new cacher - walk lover/nano cringer

Hi there,

Me and my family have just discover geocaching. We love love the new walks we've found, the adventure and helping lil old tb's on their way. One dislike though - nano caches. Help me love these critters by giving me some hints into the various shapes, forms and locations these small but xxxx formed things can be found (or DNF'd) in!

BRR

To give you an idea, here are a couple of examples but there are huge numbers of different types and they come in all different colours even 'Rust'

P1060019.jpg

The top one, which is about as deep as its diameter, is magnetic.

Help me love these critters by giving me some hints into the various shapes, forms and locations these small but xxxx formed things can be found (or DNF'd) in!

To be honest I find most nanos rather tiresome, especially those placed in areas where it would be trivial to place a proper size cached or those at the end of a long, complicated multistage cache.

However there is a class of nano that is always a thrill to find, and i'll come onto those in a minute.

Most of the nanos you are likely to find are of the small magnetic variety, they are small unobtrusive, fairly water-proof and come in a variety of colours so they are ideal for urban environments.

PathtagDisplays%20002.jpg

PathtagDisplays%20001.jpg

The most common variant to this variety of cache is the magnetic nano bolt:

boltwingsm.jpg

bolt2.JPG

Generally speaking these nanos are attached to large lumps of metal, however occasionally you will find them attached to wooden structures. It is a trick I've used in the past to rather good effect.

Moving into the realm of the non-magnetic nano - you will often see the pet ID holder containers or the bison tubes:

bisontube.gif

however, the advantage of the nano is that these containers can be embedded in other more mundane objects such as snail shells, golf balls and pine cones.

snail.jpg

GeoBall.jpg

pineconesm.jpg

Depending on the level of cunning and evil displayed by the cache owner.

In fact it is this sort of nano that is the real joy to find. The really and utterly sneaky cache that has you scratching your head. A stonkingly fine example of such a cache would be Edward Simeon in Reading. Now that is a cache.

GC1FB0E - Edward Simeon

hope this helps in some way to understand the world of the nano.

Edited by tsiolkovsky

I well hidden nano, say on a bench, can become a real hard hunt.

I've stopped using nano's as caches...(well almost) :D

As a nano hider, the logbooks can get full rather too quickly.

As a nano finder, the longer you hunt the more obvious you become to others.

But they will increase in numbers, along with the increasing number of new cachers.

Go MICRO!