Guardrail hides

GetTheLoot

Nope. Central Florida has lots of guard rails, but the view from most of them doesn't warrant a cache, by my highly biased standards.

Those few that do, inspire me to hide a cache somewhere within that view, rather than plunking one on the guard rail itself.

One guardrail hide I found used a cylindrical Lock & Lock, with magnets affixed to the interior.

The cache was painted a dull silver, and tucked into the concave backside.

I applauded the owner for selecting something other than yet another lame micro. :D

I recently found one that looked just like a real life wasp nest tucked away in a guard rail...wait....nope...it was real...and I paid for it. :D

But the neatest guardrail cache I ever found had a steel container that looked just like one of the other steel supports.

LOL

Sorry, but that is to funny. I have thought a neat hide would be to create a magnetic wasp nest, with cache log inside.

Nope. Central Florida has lots of guard rails, but the view from most of them doesn't warrant a cache, by my highly biased standards.

Those few that do, inspire me to hide a cache somewhere within that view, rather than plunking one on the guard rail itself.

One guardrail hide I found used a cylindrical Lock & Lock, with magnets affixed to the interior.

I applauded the owner for selecting something other than yet another lame micro. :D

All scenic caches in Florida should be at least 2,000-4,000 ft high, with mountains, streams and waterfalls in the background. Otherwise, they are just caches

All scenic caches in Florida should be at least 2,000-4,000 ft high, with mountains, streams and waterfalls in the background. Otherwise, they are just caches

5star caches every one. Hey, special equipment required! Because the only way to find one of those in good old FLA is if you been smoking sump'n special.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to do a good camo for a guardrail hide? Or perhaps a container that works well there?

I've found a couple of guardrail caches - they weren't camoflauged at all. Just a small lock-n-lock kinda tucked in between the post and the horizontal piece, or a magnetic key holder stuck someplace along the back side of the guardrail.

Now that I think about it, the magnetic key holder cache might have been covered in duct tape to make it blend in better. Veeery sneaky.

So that's the answer: duct tape.

That's also the answer to many other questions. Like: "What is the best way to prevent trash cans from blowing away during a hurricane?" or "Is there anything I can do to remove this unsightly back hair?"

I found a cool one which was a magnetic grey colored fake hexagonal bolt that looked exactly like the others on the guardrail. :D
Best one that I found was like that, too. Worst one(s) were "camo'd" with woodland camo duct tape. I've likewise found caches in the woods camo'd with silver duct tape. Leaves one shaking one's head. :D

For guard rail hides I've seen magnetic nanos, magnetic key holders, small tupperware/lock n locks, & film cannisters. Seems like just about anything works if you keep it out of the elements.

Like many, I find them overdone and not terribly interesting. Of all the suggestions, I like the fake bolt idea the best. It's something a little less common and a little more difficult.

One suggestion I haven't seen yet on a guard rail is a fake reflector hide.

Whatever you do, put your own twist on it...make it unique.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to do a good camo for a guardrail hide? Or perhaps a container that works well there?

I've found a couple of guardrail caches - they weren't camoflauged at all. Just a small lock-n-lock kinda tucked in between the post and the horizontal piece, or a magnetic key holder stuck someplace along the back side of the guardrail.

Now that I think about it, the magnetic key holder cache might have been covered in duct tape to make it blend in better. Veeery sneaky.

That's also the answer to many other questions. Like: "What is the best way to prevent trash cans from blowing away during a hurricane?" or "Is there anything I can do to remove this unsightly back hair?"

Also works for 'Hey, I have a lump in my breast, or ' I owe the taxman': Duct tape; it's not just for breakfast anymore

Worst one(s) were "camo'd" with woodland camo duct tape.

Hey! That technique would be very effective on an ivy-covered guardrail!

If there is such a thing.

Which I doubt.

I dunno, I've seen guardrails in some pretty unusual places, probably due to road realignments.

Saw one that was 30-40' back into a huge bamboo patch one time. Shoulda taken some pics.

Worst one(s) were "camo'd" with woodland camo duct tape.

Hey! That technique would be very effective on an ivy-covered guardrail!

If there is such a thing.

Which I doubt.

I dunno, I've seen guardrails in some pretty unusual places, probably due to road realignments.

Saw one that was 30-40' back into a huge bamboo patch one time. Shoulda taken some pics.

Ok, I believe you.

And I must add that I think a road-realignment-caused abandoned guardrail in a bamboo patch would make a great place for a camofluaged duct tape covered magnetic key holder geocache.

But yeah, you shoulda taken some pictures. :D

:D Cows.... :D

Looking for a guardrail cache (which was a preform tucked between the post and rail :D ) I came up with an interesting idea. The guardrail is mounted on 4"x4" blocks of wood, which in turn are mounted to the post in the ground. One of the blocks only had one bolt through it, so I was able to rotate it. Figured it would be great to use the hole already drilled in it, put a bison tube inside, then rotate it back down.

:D Cows.... :D

Oh, sure. You laugh.

But the duct-tape-back-hair-removal technique is a very serious concern for cows.

Think about it.

RrrriiiiiPPPPP!!!! a0c22165-32eb-4f0b-b9d7-cf7bec1f0816.gif

And while you think about it, enjoy your next glass of milk.

But back on topic: guardrail-colored duct tape is the answer. Just make sure the color/pattern of the duct tape matches the surrounding environment.

Which is pretty much the key to any camo.

Looking for a guardrail cache (which was a preform tucked between the post and rail :D ) I came up with an interesting idea. The guardrail is mounted on 4"x4" blocks of wood, which in turn are mounted to the post in the ground. One of the blocks only had one bolt through it, so I was able to rotate it. Figured it would be great to use the hole already drilled in it, put a bison tube inside, then rotate it back down.

Actually I saw a picture of one like that once. I have no idea where though.

I saw one in the middle of the woods where there used to be a road 30 years ago when the Army Corps of Engineers built a sediment retention dam. Now its surrounded by trees about a half mile from the nearest road. And, yes, there was a 35mm film canister guardrail cache.

Edited by bramasoleiowa

Im glad to see this post as I just made some 3/4 inch fake bolts to hide on guardrails . I dont know how to add pics to forum replys, but I used pill fobs, aluminum in color. From bottom up are the magnets, then a 3/4 inch washer, a 3/4 inch nut on top of that. The pill fob has a hole in the top of it for the key ring attachment. Thru this hole and back out the bottom of the washer is a Cotter pin. Pin is secure to cap and then snaked back to bottom thru the nut and then the bottom portion of washer and flared out. All of this is epoxy puttied together. Filled the hole full from the underside of the washer into the nut and to the top of the fob cap , which is now upside down. Epoxy around the flared out cotter pin where its ears meet the washer.O

Once hardened, I attach the remainder of the fob by screwing it to the cap which is now upside down with the rest of the nut and washer assembly. The whole assemly is about 3 inches long. I added some putty epoxy along the base of the nut where it meets the washer and they look like spot welds. Everything is painted galvanized and then on the actual fob that looks like the bolt stud I wrapped some thin modelers tape to create a spiriled threaded look. Some paint in between the tape off area and I have created the threads. A little rust colored model paint around the fake weld areas and they look pretty good. I would love to show a picture but dont know how.

End result looks like one of the fake magnetic bolt and screws that u buy but muc larger. Have cache in review right now and hoping to get good results from this guardrail hide. Looks like a big old guardrail bolt.

Took 15 mins to assemble without the paint. Are rock hard and nothing wiggles. We will see. Im sure its been done plenty, but it looks solid.

Im glad to see this post as I just made some 3/4 inch fake bolts to hide on guardrails . I dont know how to add pics to forum replys, but I used pill fobs, aluminum in color. From bottom up are the magnets, then a 3/4 inch washer, a 3/4 inch nut on top of that. The pill fob has a hole in the top of it for the key ring attachment. Thru this hole and back out the bottom of the washer is a Cotter pin. Pin is secure to cap and then snaked back to bottom thru the nut and then the bottom portion of washer and flared out. All of this is epoxy puttied together. Filled the hole full from the underside of the washer into the nut and to the top of the fob cap , which is now upside down. Epoxy around the flared out cotter pin where its ears meet the washer.O

Once hardened, I attach the remainder of the fob by screwing it to the cap which is now upside down with the rest of the nut and washer assembly. The whole assemly is about 3 inches long. I added some putty epoxy along the base of the nut where it meets the washer and they look like spot welds. Everything is painted galvanized and then on the actual fob that looks like the bolt stud I wrapped some thin modelers tape to create a spiriled threaded look. Some paint in between the tape off area and I have created the threads. A little rust colored model paint around the fake weld areas and they look pretty good. I would love to show a picture but dont know how.

End result looks like one of the fake magnetic bolt and screws that u buy but muc larger. Have cache in review right now and hoping to get good results from this guardrail hide. Looks like a big old guardrail bolt.

I dont mind attaching photo to email if this is allowed.

Took 15 mins to assemble without the paint. Are rock hard and nothing wiggles. We will see. Im sure its been done plenty, but it looks solid.

Edited by TeamVasquez

One suggestion I haven't seen yet on a guard rail is a fake reflector hide.

I found one where the guardrail's black and yellow striped warning sign was a magnet with a thick plastic pouch behind it, totally threw me off looking at the posts and in the weeds.

On a similar note:

I noticed a wooden guardrail with cement pillars the other day when I was on a run. And its far enough from the nearest caches I could place one there. Not sure how to go about doing it yet. Obviously not much magnetic ability. The wood is one big plank, like you would find on a set of bleachers.

Edited by bramasoleiowa

One of the most difficult guardrail hides I've found wasn't a guardrail hide at all. There's something about a guardrail (or a lamp post, or a park bench, or a newspaper box, or...) that attracts your attention, to the point that you completely ignore the cache that's sitting right there in plain sight.

Somewhere way, way back in the archives here is a thread that somebody posted (perhaps in the CCC thread?) that hid a cache that way. Of course, the hider got blasted for drilling out the block (no pre-drilled hole there) but in one of those essentially abandoned guard rails due to realignment...

We have a guardrail cache close to here in which the CO bought a piece of the yellow/black striped reflective tape that exactly matched what was already there. Then he stuck it to a magnet and put it in place of the original. It was quite difficult to spot because it was actually supposed to be there. It was about a 12 inch by 12 inch square right on the end so you are basically looking at in when you park the car but you walk right past it looking for a micro since it is on a guardrail.

We have a guardrail cache close to here in which the CO bought a piece of the yellow/black striped reflective tape that exactly matched what was already there. Then he stuck it to a magnet and put it in place of the original. It was quite difficult to spot because it was actually supposed to be there. It was about a 12 inch by 12 inch square right on the end so you are basically looking at in when you park the car but you walk right past it looking for a micro since it is on a guardrail.

I really like that idea!

I really like that idea!

Me too! and I have heard it before, but I cannot find that reflector anywhere. Anyone know where to get one?

I really like that idea!

Me too! and I have heard it before, but I cannot find that reflector anywhere. Anyone know where to get one?

We have a couple of Safety and Construction Supply stores here that sell cones, barrels, signs, etc. for roadway safety. They carry the tape so you might check if you have a store like that. Otherwise, you can search google for engineering grade DOT striped conspicuity tape.