Best GPS for Canada

andersonglk

I am looking for a GPS to use for geocaching, hiking, and camping. It also needs to be able to handle deep backcountry treks. The problem is that many of the units I've been researching don't seen to support, or fully support, Canadian maps. My budget is around $200.

I have been looking at the Magellan Explorist GC, the Lowrance Endura Out&Back, and the DeLorme Earthmate PN-40.

Any recommendations for a GPS that meets these guidelines would be very welcome.

Thanks!

I am looking for a GPS to use for geocaching, hiking, and camping. It also needs to be able to handle deep backcountry treks. The problem is that many of the units I've been researching don't seen to support, or fully support, Canadian maps. My budget is around $200.

I have been looking at the Magellan Explorist GC, the Lowrance Endura Out&Back, and the DeLorme Earthmate PN-40.

Any recommendations for a GPS that meets these guidelines would be very welcome.

Thanks!

The Magellan Explorist GC does not support loading of maps on it, and the base maps provided are Navteq street maps. Won't be useful for deep backcountry.

Lowrance and DeLorme have abyssmal coverage of Canada. Definitely not my first choice for Canadian Topo Mapping.

Take a look at a Garmin Oregon or a 62. Both support custom maps and Topo Canada v4 is a great product. If you need finer resolution detail there are 3rd party map products available for Canadians using Garmin receivers. You can load Ibycus Topo on a Garmin unit, which is a *free* Topo solution based on Government of Canada Canvec data. Ibycus put that together and it gives the Garmin product quite the run!

Since you mention a $200 budget I suspect what you'll end up with is a Garmin Colorado or 60 series, both of which are discontinued and as such getting discounted. Also look at the eTrex series if budget is your primary concern, but you'll lose a lot of the Geocaching features.

Ah, NP, you must not have seen Delorme's new Topo 9 package! It is wonderful for Canada. Since Delorme came out with the new PN-60, the PN-40's are now more affordable and available second hand. They are only a 1 year old unit though, so a good purchase if you can find them. I had mine at all the events we were at this summer and certainly drew some interest with the orange gps that was unfamiliar to many. I also use a Garmin Oregon with Backroad Mapbook on SD card, but the Delorme is my grab n' go. Mr. LS is a fan of his 60CSx but is drooling over the new 62...

I know there are some really good topo maps to be had from Ibycus etc, but we still favour the SD product for it being all-encompassing.

Did you know that Backroad Mapbook have have just released the SD maps for Ontario? We're waiting for our first shipment to arrive :D .

For a $200 budget, I'd grab a Garmin 60Cx while you still can - it's an excellent unit for caching - and load the superb free Ibycus topo maps onto it.

Compared to the other brands, Garmin seems to have the best ecosystem of maps, both free and purchaseable. There are plenty of map choices for Canada, not to mention the rest of the world. But note that maps for Garmin (the majority) won't work in other brands of unit.

Thanks!

I have had my Garmin Oregon 200 for over a year now and my love for it still burns intensely hot! Its great for geocaching and I even mount it on my car dash for city driving or travelling. It seems to be able to handle all environments very well as I've banged it good a few times and cached in the rain and in -30 degree celsius weather. Lucked out big time last year and bought it at Bass Pro on sale for $249. I'm sure the prices must be around $200 these days for one.