WARNING FOR OREGON 550 OWNERS!

*mouse*

First I tried the normal update operation and did the hardware eject…. Did not work, locked once again. :D

After getting it going once again with 3.40 restoration, I did what blackrocks did to upgrade and just to be safe I ejected the hardware like smtext suggested, now all is working just fine, :D and I did notice some more options, one of them being a filter option in the “geocache” section, I can’t comment on any more changes as yet, because I have done a before and after exam of all the icons and settings.

Now about the master reset. This is only what I am aware of.

All my data on the card was not effected (forgot to take it out) :D

Not effected: archived tracks, waypoints that I created, photos are all still there.

Was effected / changed: all active tracks gone, all settings went back to default, I lost my profile settings. This was really no big deal, but you may have made many changed to your profile without knowing like myself.

Conclusion: All is good with the Oregon, and I like the filter update

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread :)

First I tried the normal update operation and did the hardware eject…. Did not work, locked once again. :D

After getting it going once again with 3.40 restoration, I did what blackrocks did to upgrade and just to be safe I ejected the hardware like smtext suggested, now all is working just fine, :D and I did notice some more options, one of them being a filter option in the “geocache” section, I can’t comment on any more changes as yet, because I have done a before and after exam of all the icons and settings.

Now about the master reset. This is only what I am aware of.

All my data on the card was not effected (forgot to take it out) :D

Not effected: archived tracks, waypoints that I created, photos are all still there.

Was effected / changed: all active tracks gone, all settings went back to default, I lost my profile settings. This was really no big deal, but you may have made many changed to your profile without knowing like myself.

Conclusion: All is good with the Oregon, and I like the filter update

Thanks to all that have contributed to this thread :)

I didn't know about webupdater so was pleased to find out about it from this thread. Downloaded it and took the plunge to update my Garmin Oregon 550. A screen came up before the upload stating that the batteries needed to be completely charged otherwise there is a risk of damage to the unit. Does this explain why some people have had problems, I wonder?

Anyway mine worked absolutely fine.

Very useful thread - thanks for starting it Mouse.

Because of this I put off updating my 550 until today. Took the advice offered and today used Webupdater and all seemed to go well - now working fine on 3.80/4.52. Like Mouse & Keehote I've not used the Webupdater before - lesson learned, thanks.

I'm curious why it ask you to have fully charged batteries; doesn't it use the pc's power when connected?!

Also I don't like the way the Webupdater ends, leaving you to close down the further updates page - why doesn't it give a 'you have successfully updated and can now close this programme' message for less confident pc users like me?!

I'm curious why it ask you to have fully charged batteries; doesn't it use the pc's power when connected?!

I would imagine it is because after the software has been transferred to the device, you need to disconnect and restart it. I guess it is that point that it needs to go through the complete install, and could cause problems if the batteries run out before completion. I think?

Thanks for the warning - however read it too late - already updated my oregon 550T albeit without any problems, I'm currently using sw version 3.80 / gps sw version: 4.52.

Hope Garmin looks after you (cost wise) - by no means an expert so just a suggestion but have you tried to 'restore to factory settings' [ setup / reset / .... ] and then retry the upgrade procedure?

In case you missed it Garmin have now released Oregon x50 Software 3.9 - maybe in response to the issues with 3.8. :)

*mouse* & keehotee were kind enough to test 3.8 on their units (turning them to bricks in the process :D ) so I have volunteered to be the sacraficial pig on this update and installed 3.9 on mine using Webupdater. All appears to be fine (touch wood) though not yet tested in the field.

It's the "Fixed issues with odometer distance" which most attracted me but there are other claimed benefits - see here for info, etc.

In case you missed it Garmin have now released Oregon x50 Software 3.9 - maybe in response to the issues with 3.8. :)

*mouse* & keehotee were kind enough to test 3.8 on their units (turning them to bricks in the process :D ) so I have volunteered to be the sacraficial pig on this update and installed 3.9 on mine using Webupdater. All appears to be fine (touch wood) though not yet tested in the field.

It's the "Fixed issues with odometer distance" which most attracted me but there are other claimed benefits - see here for info, etc.

Thanks Robin B)

Got our replacements in the post.....and I promptly bump tested mine off a 4 foot wall. Happy to say the Oregon seems fine - but after a trip to Exeter A&E my arms now in a cast :D

Will have to try 3.9 :D

OK, so all is NOT well!

Having had no problems, and not reading of any issues with 3.9 I did mine yesterday as mentioned above.

Today, I tried Bambeanie's Oregon 550 and now have a lovely rounded BRICK! This was done through exactly the same Webupdater as mine, so it seems the method isn't necessarily the problem.

I can connect it in Mass-storage mode, so have all her photos, tracks & GPX files but no joy with startup. Several people have mentioned rollbacks to previous software versions but i'm not sure how, any pointers?

After the Update to Firmware 3.80 my Oregon 550t didn't work anymore.

Yesterday I got an answer by Garmin-Support. They sent me an updater.exe, a rgn-file and instructions how to do a downgrade to Version 3.40.

Before downgrading, I deleted the old gcd-file from the device. Then the downgrade to 3.40 worked fine.

Afterwards I made a masterreset and started the update to 3.80 via webupdater (without masterreset the update from 3.40 to 3.80 didn't work and the GPSr hung again).

Now all works fine :-)

Best regards

thank you!!!!!! :):D this saved me from alot of grief :wub::D it works agin :wub::D i updated it yesterday and my world just crasched but this saved me :):D so thnx ! :):D