What do I do now?

treasurehunters911

All I can say is why do these things happen!!!???

We have been using an iphone for geocaching with pretty good results in the past couple of months. We finally broke down and decided to be like the big boys and bought a Garmin Oregon 450 GPS. Woohoo it arrived yesterday in good shape and we have been getting familiar with it. One program it has is a kids game called Wherigo. My 12 year old daughter was playing this game around our home when she had a little accident. She missed her step while standing on a 4' retaining wall and came crashing down on pea gravel gps in hand. She was really lucky and sustained scratches to her arms and legs but the GPS didn't fair very well, it landed face down in the gravel and the face plate was shattered.

She was devastated and didn't want to tell me, after all we have had this thing for less than 36 hours. I am just happy she didn't hurt herself more than she did. I just don't know what to do, I don't have the money for another GPS, will Garmin help me out in any way? Should I send an email to the company I bought it from (GPS Central.ca)

I don't want to stop my daughter from exploring and being active, but holy mackrel I just afford to do this if these things are going to happen.

If you bought it on your credit card and your credit card has any protection for purchases, you may be able to use that.

Garmin US has been known to be very sympathetic. Do post back here when you get resolution and if necessary, you can tell Garmin that the folks on the geocaching forums suggested that you contact them...

A worse case scenario --- homeowners insurance --- personal items out of residence MIGHT have it covered. Of course the value should be high or the fees can be worse (mental block on the term for your share, sigh! I know it well) Depends on what coverage you have, some things require specific riders, or specific coverage... but policies used to cover personal use items like this... Matter of does it make much difference by itself... or will it cost as much to do it that way, but save the bills... never know what tomorrow will add to the list... (ahhh! Deductable... I can remember it! not sure of the spelling though, i?)...

Doug 7rxc