taking down a cache

TeamVasquez

Hi, In a nutshell and I didnt know how else to do this. Thought I had adequate approval for cache placements. Went out and placed them , got coords and submitted the requests. It has been a few days and still waiting for approval. Question is, and I dont know how often this happens, but I had to take the caches down. Seems like this wasnt the person that could approve all placements, if any, and I didnt want them to get approved and people going out looking for them.

Again, they hadnt been approved. All I knew to do was get back in and delete as much description as possible, but I didnt know how to dump the coords and name. I listed them as unavailable and posted a note for reviewer. I then thought that I could archive them and they still show waiting to be approved, but have red strike lines threw them. My notes show my requests to take down caches.

I found some area caches near there and sent an email to the prime reviewer. It being now Friday and a little late, I wanted to make sure there isnt anything else I need to do because I dont want to waste anyones time going out and looking for the caches that I have removed now.

I know that these things happen, but I want to make sure I did the right thing and stay legit. No hard feelings towards the guy I talked to out there. Help! B)

i'm pretty sure that if you go to the cache page and "edit listing" and uncheck the "this listing is active" and click submit it will take it off the reviewers list

I will give that a quick try. Thanks.

Ok, just checked them all. All of the boxes were already unchecked as active though. Hopefully all is well. Thanks

Hi, In a nutshell and I didnt know how else to do this. Thought I had adequate approval for cache placements. Went out and placed them , got coords and submitted the requests. It has been a few days and still waiting for approval. Question is, and I dont know how often this happens, but I had to take the caches down. Seems like this wasnt the person that could approve all placements, if any, and I didnt want them to get approved and people going out looking for them.

Again, they hadnt been approved. All I knew to do was get back in and delete as much description as possible, but I didnt know how to dump the coords and name. I listed them as unavailable and posted a note for reviewer. I then thought that I could archive them and they still show waiting to be approved, but have red strike lines threw them. My notes show my requests to take down caches.

I found some area caches near there and sent an email to the prime reviewer. It being now Friday and a little late, I wanted to make sure there isnt anything else I need to do because I dont want to waste anyones time going out and looking for the caches that I have removed now.

I know that these things happen, but I want to make sure I did the right thing and stay legit. No hard feelings towards the guy I talked to out there. Help! B)

It is unfortunate that you had to go through all the trouble that you did. Did the reviewer actually e-mail you and tell you of problems with the placements? If not you should have waited for the review process. That can be as long as 3 days. With a holiday weekend on its way it could have taken even longer. Remember that the reviewers are just volunteers, they have families, work, etc.....

If you had permission for the hides there probably wouldn't have been a problem other than maybe being to close to another cache in the area.

It is unfortunate that you had to go through all the trouble that you did. Did the reviewer actually e-mail you and tell you of problems with the placements? If not you should have waited for the review process. That can be as long as 3 days. With a holiday weekend on its way it could have taken even longer. Remember that the reviewers are just volunteers, they have families, work, etc.....

If you had permission for the hides there probably wouldn't have been a problem other than maybe being to close to another cache in the area.

It wasnt anything from the reviewer. I opted to go ahead and pull them down myself for one person saying it was ok for me to place when I really feel that at this point they werent the person to say it was ok. I should have done more checking, my bad. I didnt want them in trouble, or me or it to cause problems for anyone down the road if they went active and then having to take them down...people heading out looking for an active cache when its now not there. The person later checked with somone else and they were concerned and had to get more permission and then they werent sure. They were still showing to be waiting to be reviewed earlier . I just didnt want them to show up as active and for someone now to go looking for them after I had physically removed them. Thanks for the reply.

i'm pretty sure that if you go to the cache page and "edit listing" and uncheck the "this listing is active" and click submit it will take it off the reviewers list

I will give that a quick try. Thanks.

Ok, just checked them all. All of the boxes were already unchecked as active though. Hopefully all is well. Thanks

i guess that must have happened when you archived them

TeamVasquez, were you able to find out the way to disable/archive your cache?

Let me know if you need more assistance.

Hi and thanks for the response. So far so good as I didnt see them post as active caches yet. I think I may have gotten them archived ok.

When a situation like this happens though, is archiving it the way to go or is some other way of doing it disappear. ...and then the folow up question..Is me now having 4 archived caches, even though they never went active a mark against me? I mean if I submit future caches are those held against me by the reveiwer or anything like that?

If I understand the sequence of events correctly - You created your cache pages and put the caches out, then you submitted them for review. Then at some point before they got reviewed you realised that they weren't going to be possible so you de-activated them (which means that they were no longer in the reviewer's queue) and decided not to go ahead with them.

That's fine. You did the right things. I'm pretty sure that your local reviewer won't have black marked your card for that!

As for those cache pages which now have a line through them - As they have never been published you can re-use the whole page if you want to. Just wipe them all clean and start again when you want to create your next cache. Then when the new cache is all ready to go you just re-activate the page and your brand new cache (Mk 2) will drop into the reviewer's queue.

MrsB

Yeah, archiving caches is no black mark against you. Even if they had gotten published.

If you had thought that there might be a chance that the land manager was going to give approval, you could have temporarily disabled the cache instead of archiving it which would have allowed you to re-activated the cache once approval was obtained from the land manager.

Otherwise, you did everything fine.

You did fine! You showed a lot more responsibility than a lot of hiders would. people archive caches for all kinds of reasons. It's a POSITIVE thing on your record when you do it yourself as opposed to having a reviewer archive your caches because there is a problem and you haven't responded. That happens way too often!