What are you?

Loon-a-tick

With my pending visit to Geocoinfest 2010, I have done some research into the state of Minnesota. I have found some interesting facts.

1. The state bird is the Loon

2. The state bug is the tick

With those facts the only logical conclusion is that the geocachers from Minnesota must be Loonaticks.

To honor the Loonaticks of Minnesota, a special mystery coin has been produced, “The Loonatick”. This coin will make it's appearance at and around Geocoinfest 2010. After the introduction in Minnesota, watch for it to show up in mail boxes around the world.

As with any true gift, it is yours to do what you want with it. A true gift will never come with any strings.

FrontSide.jpg

GREAT Coin. Love the design. I'm a Loon since I made a "pet" out of the well-fed (on my blood) tick that made it's way home with me (on my head) from a caching adventure!!!

Wish I could make it to GCF '10...maybe next year!!!

Have a blast everyone!!!

Many thanks to the Mystery Coiner for honoring Minnesota and our community with this amazing keepsake!!!

Safe and happy caching to all,

GeoCharmer81 (AKA Kelly)

Ahhhh now I understand why some of those MN cachers are the way they are!! B):D

Very cute idea! Sure wish I was able to be there as this is the only kind of tick I am interested in finding and carrying home. I hope this one likes me as well as the "real" ones do

I hope everyone has a great time in loonatick land!!

This truly southern girl lived in MN for a fall/winter so I didn't see any ticks, but I did see a lot of Loons...they kept walking and driving out on the middle the ponds to go fishing?!?!? CRAZYNESS It is way to cold to be living that far north, well at least for this Arkansas girl anyway. But the people of MN where super nice to me while I was living and working up there, and didn't make to much fun of my accent B)

State bug is a tick? A tick? What, is the state flower Poison Ivy? B)

I know - Minnesotans think their state has too many tourists, so they formed the 'State Visitor Unwelcoming Committee' to name the bug.

Hope one of these coins makes its way out to California so I can see one in person...

What a wonderfull coin out of the bird and bug of the state.

At least the authorities show some empathy for the tick. B)

I'm not too fond of them, but they would bother me much less, if they weren't spreading meningitis and lyme desease.... A little bit of blood I can give, but I'd rather not get those deseases...

If you'd ask my family, then I'm a loonatick, so I'm both. Do I have to choose? :D

Oh!!! what a lovely coin!!! I love the loon with her baby on it! :D

What is on the other side? Or... this is mystery too? :D

Hmm... who knows! I may be lucky to see one from close! :D

I do not think we have something similar here... I mean like you have the state bird etc...

For Rhodes island in Greece,

In animals I am sure that we would choose the dama dama deer

In fish the unique Gizzani fish that lives in lakes, water streams... water holes...

in flower the Hibiscus (symbol of Rhodes from 408BC)

For bug.... probably the butterfly in the valley of Batterflies we have here

I do not know other.....

Of course none from them is officially... I think! :D

I think this would have made a great geocaching nickname, not to mention a great personal coin!

However, I need to talk with the state biologists of Minnesota: a tick is an arachnid, not a bug. :D No worries, I am not that tightly wound, folks. The pun made me laugh and I'm sad that I have not shot at even seeing one of these since I can't got o GCF.

Definitely something to look for, you lucky attendees, you!

*Edited to add: I have a mailbox - all ticks and loons welcome!

Edited by Penny and Kona

Wow, lovely geocoin, funny thing is that here in Northern Wisconsin there is a geocaching team that lives by us that has the geocaching name as the Loon a Ticks. This is a very very nice coin. Hope to be able to at see one when we are at GCF in Minnesota. Always love the Loon and hearing their call on the many of lakes we have here.

Hey, I didn't realize this was a new mystery coin. Cute idea :rolleyes: I hate to think of myself as a tick a sucky leach kind of thing but I do get sucked into quite a few coin sales...but then again anyone who spends so much time and effort on coins must be a loon! :laughing:

For interests sake here is a local cache which I have yet to find and which is well on the way to becoming one of Australia's most DNF'd caches. It is called "Come In Sucker" http://coord.info/GC22VR9 I have been there 3 times so far..maybe fourth is the charm?

SPOOOOOOOOON!

Oh, wait, wrong Tick. Although any state with The Tick as its state bug would be AWESOME!

Spooooooon!! Yay so glad someone else jumped to that as well! :laughing:

Mmmmm...I don't get it.

It's from a comic called the tick. :rolleyes:

Haha...I guess you didn't get it. my roomate was telling me about it, and I found a clip on YouTube, that's what his sidekick said after...

"Mmm...I don't get it"

With my pending visit to Geocoinfest 2010, I have done some research into the state of Minnesota. I have found some interesting facts.

1. The state bird is the Loon

2. The state bug is the tick

With those facts the only logical conclusion is that the geocachers from Minnesota must be Loonaticks.

To honor the Loonaticks of Minnesota, a special mystery coin has been produced, “The Loonatick”. This coin will make it's appearance at and around Geocoinfest 2010. After the introduction in Minnesota, watch for it to show up in mail boxes around the world.

As with any true gift, it is yours to do what you want with it. A true gift will never come with any strings.

FrontSide.jpg

awesome, irreverent, i love it!