Favorite Mystery Coins

Tennessee Jed

Could someone please post a picture of the Imagine Peace coin. I am a huge fan...although fan doesn't seem to be a strong enough word...of John Lennon...in fact my youngest son's middle name is Lennon. Didn't know this existed...wow...this thread is making me so jealous...first Jedi's now Lennon...I'm going crazy!

IMG_NEW-1-7.jpg

IMG_0001_NEW-2-1.jpg

ILYK

I'd never seen the back of this coin...That is such a beautiful and stunning coin!! Thank you for sharing!!

Some or all mystery coins are worth wishing for for someone. Let's let the mystery coiners and others know what we all have and what we like. Maybe this thread won't get merged. :yikes:

By the way, that Imagine Peace is worth wishing for! My name is on the Geocoin Addresses page for those who want to know. :sad:

Edited by Tennessee Jed

Of course, you know it, my favorite is the Mystery Turtle. First made it's debut at GW8 and again at Geocoinfest 2010. Unable to make it to any of those. I would love to have one in any metal, color etc.

Mystery coins I have received unexpectedly are only one. The Mickey Diver, and I about did cartwheels in the front yard. Thank you mystery coin givers for giving an uplift to people's days and giving hope to those who need it. The other mystery coins I have are through trades, but still very exciting just the same.

Ones I have:

Mickey Diver

Mystical Greenman

Dark Knight V1 & V2

Wishing Coin

Imagine Peace (which I gifted to someone who needed it)

Creepy Crawler Cachers

Carpe Diem

Only one I would like:

Mystery Turtle (GeoHonu)

I was told by people much more knowledgeable than I am that the very first geocoin I found in a cache was in fact a mystery coin!

So I am the proud owner of a Cache Reaper coin. I hope I figured out how to show you the photos.

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

I do not have funds to purchase coins but I hope I will come across more throughout my geocaching career.

I was told by people much more knowledgeable than I am that the very first geocoin I found in a cache was in fact a mystery coin!

So I am the proud owner of a Cache Reaper coin. I hope I figured out how to show you the photos.

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

IMAG0068.jpg

I do not have funds to purchase coins but I hope I will come across more throughout my geocaching career.

just don't forget, most coins you run across while caching are travelers and are not meant to be kept. they are meant to be picked up, logged and then placed again to continue their travels. you just really lucked out finding a mystery coin! occasionally someone will place an unactivated coin in a cache. you can usually keep those. but always check the tracking number to see if a coin has been activated and be sure to read the mission for the coin.

rsg

Hmm... my favorite? You mean you are going to make me choose? :P

Well, ones that have graced me or mailbox are:

GeoJedi (Antique gold) My first mystery coin, directly from the mystery coiner.

Carpe Diem - found in my mailbox

EasterBunny Egg - woodstock version. This is the first coin I found in a cache.

Bell witch - first one I recieved via mail.

Loon-A-tick - left for me at the hotel counter.

Geo Honu Turtle - found in my collection.

I've gotten many more from trade/silent auctions/ebay.

The ones that are highest on my want list are

Mystical Greenman (I'm a huge nature lover and this one strikes a cord with me. I love the story of the green man.)

Other versions on the Geo Honu Turtle

the wizard coins

Imagine peace

Of course I want any/everything else too. :P The coins I have I treasure and will remain with me till the very end. Thank you to all you wonderful mystery coiners. It gives me hope to see this kind of generosity in the world.

For the rest of ya all, I have made a spreadsheet of mystery coins that I know of. (Yes, it is out of date.) I have pictures of a quite a few for you to look at too.

edited to fix link

Edited by Firefly03

couldn't really say which is a favorite because they are all special. i have just a few and they have all come via my mailbox. i don't get out to events where mystery coiners would be found.

hmmmm, to chose one over the other which i would like to add to my collection would be sinterclaus, sasquatch, greenman and the phantom. since i have seen pictures of it up close, i would have to add to that list, the bell witch.

the micky diver was my very first mystery coin. i was just getting into coins and thought the magnanimous gesture to be almost overwhelming. and each mystery coin since has heightened that emotion.

to me, mystery coins are like gifts from the universe. i don't exactly "wish" for one so much as love knowing they are out there, if that makes sense.

lara

I like the peace dove (love the design), mystery santa (it was the first mystery coin), geocoin fairy (it was the first I found in a cache), carpe diem (don't have this one, missed out at the auction at GCF). Encounters has a neat concept.

I prefer the randomness of mystery coins that go into caches, then others are also in on the project as 'helpers' --- its great fun to get a cache note saying a mystery coin was dropped in your cache! :P

I may be wrong about this being a mystery coin, but if it is, this is one of my favorites.

176c3383-f1cd-4f2d-a802-f48dabdca905.jpg

bab52d04-b1a8-44c9-95c8-eb397435b80c.jpg

WOW!! I love this coin. I don't have any mystery coins but the three I would love to have are

Bell Witch :grin::wub::wub:

The Cache Reaper

and this one :D

these coins are already activated and belong to serial finder..kind of like moun10bike

ILYK

I may be wrong about this being a mystery coin, but if it is, this is one of my favorites.

176c3383-f1cd-4f2d-a802-f48dabdca905.jpg

bab52d04-b1a8-44c9-95c8-eb397435b80c.jpg

WOW!! I love this coin. I don't have any mystery coins but the three I would love to have are

Bell Witch :grin::wub::wub:

The Cache Reaper

and this one :D

these coins are already activated and belong to serial finder..kind of like moun10bike

ILYK

Not all of them are already activated under serial finders account...mine isn't...it was activated under my account.

Only been caching for 3 months but hadn't heard of mystery coins until our friend FScout told us about this coins that pop up at events and cache out of nowhere. Very interesting stuff. I have looked some up and love the Bell Witch, Sasquatch, and Jedi coins. Perhaps one day we will run into one of these mystery coins.

Is it good to keep coins unactivated if you are just planning to collect? I would love to start a collection. So far we've only got one which was given by our somewhat recruiter into the geocaching world. I believe the coin was called Key of Solomon, maybe.

I would love to make my own coins as well but not to sell just to do like these mystery people do and drop them to unknowing cachers for they're roles they play in this GREAT obsession of mine.

Edited by tonyandamanda

Greenman pathtag traveler

:grin: twice this has crossed my path recently, anyone have a pic? :wub:

I googled it and this is the picture of the pathtag traveler.

c81d579a-0337-4e0f-a214-e92c16f3c7d8.jpg

So this was made without the Greenman's permission?

If someone found the image on the internet and liked it, cause it reminded him of the pictures of Guiseppe Arcimboldo, would he neccessary know of the mystery coin of Mystical Greenman?

Edit to add: Just read the thread again, and this IS actually a pathtag of the Mystical Greenman....

By the way, the design might be stunning, but isn't essentially new, now is it?

That is one coin I really like, it reminds me, why I pick up glass shards, bottles and other rubbish while out caching....

Edited by ElliPirelli

Favorite Owned: The only mystery coin ive ever had, and its an awesome one. Luck & Protection.. Such a great looking coin. I was really shocked to get one of them..

Favorite Wanted: GeoLeprechaun Mystery Pot O Gold. I love Irish coins, and have always wanted this one..

And also the Carpe Diem coin.. Great looking coin, Loved it as soon as I saw it..

Edited by Tha Saint
Check out the mystery coiners who have logged GC2C575. Sounds like there is a new coin by Captain James Hook. :D

I was hoping and looking forward to doing a table dance for a tip from Capt. Hook at the "Going Coastal" event in a couple weeks while I was manning the grills, but the Bell Witch just posted something about him not being able to make it... guess I will have to wait until Jan before I get to see "Capt. Hooks Mystery Booty"....

i have been very fortunate and very thankful to recieve many mystery coins. I dont choose one over the other but the most memorable, is the luck coin ,, it came to me during a very very hard time in my life. The past year has been brutal on us emotionally, and a few times i thought i was at wits end. i havent gotten much coin mail this past year and when i recieved the luck coin not only did i need the luck but it also let me know someone was thinking about us, and i just really needed that at that exact time.

i have kept all of the mystery coins i have ever got, except my first 2, the bug and the bandit. but at that point i was still so new i didnt know any better , and it wasent that i dident appreciate them. i just did not understand what it took to mint a coin and send it out to every one... now i know, how much time, money and thought goes into a mystery coin, and i miss my bug coin!, anyway , i traded those for tengwars i woulda never got so i am happy about it and i love love love my tengwar collection. so thank you all mystery coin senders.

B)

Currently in my collection of Geocoins:

Close encounters of the Third Kind

Mr Gray #2

Geocaching Jedi (traded for)

The Shadow (Traded for)

Of those mystery coins that I would treasure forever upon receiving:

The Cache Reaper

The Bell Witch

Carpe Diem

New World Order

The Wizard

I have one of the Bell Witch coins, the NWO and Cache Reaper coins are cool also. :laughing:

Currently in our collection: Cant pick a favorite, love them all.

Mickey Diver

Creepy Crawly Cachers

Jedi

Santas Stocking

Imagine Peace

want for collection: Thats a hard one, they are all great, but if I had to pick; probably

Sasquatch

Mystical Greenman

Bell witch

Mr. grey

Dropping Fairy

Carpe Diem

NWO

Edited by Frank n Beck

Mickey Diver

Creepy Crawly Cachers

Jedi

Santas Stocking

Imagine Peace

want for collection: Thats a hard one, they are all great, but if I had to pick; probably

Sasquatch

Mystical Greenman

Bell witch

Mr. grey

Dropping Fairy

Carpe Diem

NWO

I'm envious, 'Imagine Peace' is a gem of a coin and most certainly one of my all time favorites. BTW, I see you have > NWO < on your wanted list, send me your details and I'll see what I can do.

- MC

Mickey Diver

Creepy Crawly Cachers

Jedi

Santas Stocking

Imagine Peace

Sasquatch

Mystical Greenman

Bell witch

Mr. grey

Dropping Fairy

Carpe Diem

NWO

I'm envious, 'Imagine Peace' is a gem of a coin and most certainly one of my all time favorites. BTW, I see you have > NWO < on your wanted list, send me your details and I'll see what I can do.

- MC

me too me too!

It took me a long time to understand what a mystery coin is. The more coins I am collecting the more I wish to find or to "earn" one (if that is the right word for it). But I am patient and maybe I am lucky enough to finally have one of them in my hands. I don't know what you have to do or not to do but I know one thing:

Coiners are a very special nice group of people. I have read so many stories about the generosity and the warm-heartedness of these people and I am glad that I have also experienced some of this spirit already. Where else in this often only business driven world can you find for example people who just give coins to others they have never met before as a present, who trade very limited coins for regular other ones. The Mystery Coin thing is another piece of that big spirit. In the German Coin Forum for instance there was one coiner who had problems to get the money for the surgery for the very ill geodog. In a very short time about 170 coins (some of them were very limited ones) were donated and over 3000 Euros had been collected by selling lots – isn’t that fantastic. I am pretty sure that the same thing would happen in this forum.

I don’t know at what time you can call yourself a fully accepted proud member of that group. A long time I thought it is the time when you get your first mystery coin but right now I think it is up to anyone self.

Sorry for that big prolog it just came over me… :rolleyes:

I just wanted to say that I really like the idea behind the mystery coins because it symbolizes the spirit of this special group. By the way I like the slogan “carpe diem” a lot so this is one of my favorites.

It took me a long time to understand what a mystery coin is. The more coins I am collecting the more I wish to find or to "earn" one (if that is the right word for it). But I am patient and maybe I am lucky enough to finally have one of them in my hands. I don't know what you have to do or not to do but I know one thing:

Coiners are a very special nice group of people. I have read so many stories about the generosity and the warm-heartedness of these people and I am glad that I have also experienced some of this spirit already. Where else in this often only business driven world can you find for example people who just give coins to others they have never met before as a present, who trade very limited coins for regular other ones. The Mystery Coin thing is another piece of that big spirit. In the German Coin Forum for instance there was one coiner who had problems to get the money for the surgery for the very ill geodog. In a very short time about 170 coins (some of them were very limited ones) were donated and over 3000 Euros had been collected by selling lots isnt that fantastic. I am pretty sure that the same thing would happen in this forum.

I dont know at what time you can call yourself a fully accepted proud member of that group. A long time I thought it is the time when you get your first mystery coin but right now I think it is up to anyone self.

Sorry for that big prolog it just came over me… :rolleyes:

I just wanted to say that I really like the idea behind the mystery coins because it symbolizes the spirit of this special group. By the way I like the slogan carpe diem a lot so this is one of my favorites.

Gratia!

Carpe Diem
Edited by tempusfragilis

Well.... my favorite that I own has to be the Close Encounter of the Third Kind (it's also the only one that I own..... but would still be on my want list. I'm a geek!)

My favorite mystery coin designs other than that are:

New World Order

Carpe Diem

and Mystical Greenman

Thank you so much to the Mystery Coin giver that sent me the Close Encounter coin! I still love it!

Have a great Labor Day weekend everybody!

I have to add that since this post, I have received Carpe Diem from my want list

and a new coin that wasn't exposed yet when I wrote this.... Mr. Gray's coin!

They are both pretty awesome! Mystery Coins are the greatest. I love the thought that goes into them.... and the artwork is normally top-tier. Thank you mystery givers... maybe one of these days when I have a real job I will be able to fund my own :D