Explore the Bruce Passport 2010

CuperCyrus

Welcome to the unofficial Explore the Bruce Passport 2010 topic thread!

First of all I would like to apologize to anyone who may have already started this topic. I made some searches for this topic but nothing came up so I figured no one has done it yet. Also I searched the offical Explore the Bruce Passport page ( http://www.explorethebruce.com/passport/geocache.php ) but found only the geocache co-ordinates but no place to log in finds or any kind of forum discussion on it. So I have made one here. For all those who have or are participating in the Explore the Bruce Passport geocaches, here is a place to log in your finds, ask questions, leave observations about the area, and so on and so forth.

Here is my log:

Out of the six geocaches listed, my husband and I did 5 of them.

1) Sand Dunes Geocache, Sauble Beach

August 30, 2010

Remarks: the find was successful and it marked the very first geocache I ever found (yep....I am a newbie) But it did take me a bit of time to get the hang of it. It was somewhat cleverly hidden. You almost have to overshoot the location and then completely turn around and then you are in a position to actually see it.

2) St. Margaret's Chapel Geocache, Cape Chin

Sept 1, 2010

Remarks: FAILED!! :D We searched and searched and overturn several rocks (there's only hundreds there) and could not find it! If anyone has found this cache since Sept 1, 2010 could you post here where in the world it was!!!!!

3) Dunblane Church Geocache

Sept 2, 2010

Remarks: Found it but the GPS was really jumping around. GPS kept taking us to a horrible area full of thick vegetation but it ended up being in an easier to reach spot (but still a bit icky).

4) Saugeen Bluffs Geocache

Sept 2, 2010

Remarks: Successful! Very, very easy to find. The clue that was provided made no sense though....perhaps the original location has been comprimised?

5) Schmidt Lake Geocache

Skipped...ran out of time....

6) Stoney Island Geocache

Sept 2, 2010

Remarks: FAILED, but I know it was right under my nose! B) It was our last stop of the day and it was getting dark and was still raining out...I just couldn't spend any more time searching under logs and stuff. I was getting scared because I was by myself (my husband doesn't like getting wet with rain or touching things that are wet). So I gave up! AUgh! Just which fallen tree was it under (or in) anyway!?

So what about you? I know there are other people doing the Explore the Bruce passport because it's been referred to in recent logs of other geocaches in the area. I invite any and all who have done these geocaches to log their finds in! :)

Edited by CuperCyrus

we picked up one of those early this summer but we've already visited some of the places

the caches are not published on GC

Point Pelee National Park has quite a few set up aiming to introduce kids/parents to geocaching, they do rent out a GPS for those that don't have one

sure sounds like fun :anicute:

Edited by t4e

It's nice when an organization tries to promote themselves by offering geocaches tied to their property. But these Bruce Trail Passport caches aren't listed on Geocaching.com so this is the first I've heard of them! Imagine using geocaching to promote yourself, but ignoring the enormous amount of people who already geocache! You also have to wonder who hid these caches. Do they know anything at all about geocaching? A while back Cottage Life Magazine hid some 'caches' for a promotion and I tried to find one of them. The co-ordinates where off by several hundred meters and we never did find it...

The Texas Park and Wildlife Department has published caches for their "Texas Geocache Challenge" http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/geocaching/ on geocaching.com. We all know about New York's Seaway Trail geoTrail of course, http://www.seawaytrail.com/geotrail.html, and Maryland has a similar challenge. The Georgia State Parks sponsors such a challenge too, http://www.gastateparks.org/Geocaching.

All these caches are listed on GC.com, which means a built in audience of eager finders waiting to earn the 'challenge' geocoin. Without that these efforts are rather lame...

Blue -

Edited by bluelamb03

@ bluelamb03, those organizations purposely set up those caches without being listed on GC because they don;t want hoards of people going for them

they are usually in places where geocaching is not permitted

its an educational/time killer thing for the kids and parents visiting the area and it also encourages them to explore it

It's nice when an organization tries to promote themselves by offering geocaches tied to their property. But these Bruce Trail Passport caches aren't listed on Geocaching.com so this is the first I've heard of them! Imagine using geocaching to promote yourself, but ignoring the enormous amount of people who already geocache! You also have to wonder who hid these caches. Do they know anything at all about geocaching? A while back Cottage Life Magazine hid some 'caches' for a promotion and I tried to find one of them. The co-ordinates where off by several hundred meters and we never did find it...

The Texas Park and Wildlife Department has published caches for their "Texas Geocache Challenge" http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/geocaching/ on geocaching.com. We all know about New York's Seaway Trail geoTrail of course, http://www.seawaytrail.com/geotrail.html, and Maryland has a similar challenge. The Georgia State Parks sponsors such a challenge too, http://www.gastateparks.org/Geocaching.

All these caches are listed on GC.com, which means a built in audience of eager finders waiting to earn the 'challenge' geocoin. Without that these efforts are rather lame...

Blue -

....And those ones are all in the States.....

A while back Cottage Life Magazine hid some 'caches' for a promotion and I tried to find one of them. The co-ordinates where off by several hundred meters and we never did find it...-

We tried three of the four caches put out by Cottage Life Mag. We were 1st to find on one and 2ndTF on another, I've still got the CL ballcap awarded as FTF prizes, and well remember the Cottage Life geocaching display at the next Spring Cottage show in TO. We didn't venture up to the Kenora region for the fourth one. The CL caches were a great intro to geocaching back then. I don't remember the co-ords being way off, as we were 'newbies' at the time. But those caches were not listed on GC.com. Too Bad !