* Fixed future plot with tracks that have no elevations in them

* Fixed issue with calculator % function

* Fixed issue with map POI's showing twice for a single point

* Fixed issue with Oblique Mercator User grid

* Fixed issue with stuck route button.

* Fixed occasional shutdowns

* Fixed shutdown on About Page

* Fixed spot sounding display on certain maps

* Updated map review of tracks and routes. The distance shown is now the distance along the route or track.

Had trouble updating my Oregon 550 (firmware 3.71) with firmware 3.80. Display stuck at "validating update 0 %" absolutely no chance to get it run. Had to force USB mode to get rid of the gupdate.gcd.

Made update to 3.74 and then to 3.80,it worked.....result was perfect. System seems to be faster especially map drawing must have been improved. Quite happy right now, hope there are no hidden bugs.

There is still one annoying thing. It takes a long time until the Oregon shows up on the PC screen after I plugged it into USB. Takes approx 1 minute to see a reaction.

Edited by Catch43

Had trouble updating my Oregon 550 (firmware 3.71) with firmware 3.80. Display stuck at "validating update 0 %" absolutely no chance to get it run. Had to force USB mode to get rid of the gupdate.gcd.

Made update to 3.74 and then to 3.80,it worked.....result was perfect. System seems to be faster especially map drawing must have been improved. Quite happy right now, hope there are no hidden bugs.

There is still one annoying thing. It takes a long time until the Oregon shows up on the PC screen after I plugged it into USB. Takes approx 1 minute to see a reaction.

Help I to have my oregon 450 stuck in validating update mode after the download. How do I get it unstuck and updated?

Help I to have my oregon 450 stuck in validating update mode after the download. How do I get it unstuck and updated?

There are two "recovery" methods listed on the Oregon Wiki, Click Here and read "M3".

I don't know if it really makes a difference, but backing up your software...then deleting any installed .gpx files, .wpt files, POI's, and removing the microSD card before installing the upgrade via WebUpdater seems the safest way to go. I uploaded Ver 3.80 to both the 450 and 550t tonight, installation went flawlessly. Took them both outside to gather satellites, and will check them both out thoroughly over this weekend.

Bill

yeah i get that too. it is annoying. even more annoying is that they still haven't fixed the flaky GPX import. sometimes it totally crashes the unit and you have to take the batteries out.

I have just updated to 3.80 from the previous webupdater version of 3.50. It all went smoothly with no freezing or validation problems.

Perhaps there is a problem updating from a recent beta version, what versions have other users updated from?

Not been out with it yet, but it seems to be quicker and more accurate.

Regards Tarot (Bob)

Edited by Tarot

I'm wondering if the caveats involved in the 3.71 beta to 3.74 beta also apply in to the 3.71 beta to 3.80 release? I would have thought they'd have corrected that, but perhaps not? For those still running 3.71 beta who have yet to update, it might be good to go back and review the extra instructions in the 3.74 beta thread and follow those before applying 3.80? Edited by ecanderson

Do not touch these updates unless you want to trust to the gods.

Just run the the updates through MyGarmin (webupdater) on mine and my partners 550's. We now have two dead 550s, and cannot even force updater or USB storage to run on them - so looks like they'll be going back to Garmin (for the third time) for repair or replacement.

This is costing us a small fortune in Zaggs and postage!!!!!

Do not touch these updates unless you want to trust to the gods.

Just run the the updates through MyGarmin (webupdater) on mine and my partners 550's. We now have two dead 550s, and cannot even force updater or USB storage to run on them - so looks like they'll be going back to Garmin (for the third time) for repair or replacement.

This is costing us a small fortune in Zaggs and postage!!!!!

You can take the zagg off and send it in for a free replacement.

I live down the street from Garmin. I think I will bring my 550T in to have them do the update since I need to bring my Nuvi in as well. I like the fact they now have a service center customers can come in off the street to. I even ran into a guy I went to college with working there the first time I went in.

See posting #4

Or try just push and keep pushing your on button, and connect the gps to the usb

Try the 'recover' as mentioned in 3.71 to 3.74

Both units now have constant Garmin splash screen.

PC will not recognise either as USB drive - even tried holding the button for 5 minutes.

Updater software fix doesn't work - PC doesn't see any USB devices.

Oh - and GPS won't power down. Have to pull the batts to do that.

Any more suggestions, anybody?

And yes - I could send to Zagg for replacements. Are we covered if 3rd party appliance is at fault? And will Garmin pay for all the postage??

Edited by keehotee

Just run the the updates through MyGarmin (webupdater) on mine and my partners 550's. We now have two dead 550s

So we can get a feel for whether this is a 3.71 to 3.80 thing that requires the advanced steps, is that the level from which you were updating?

Mine was a replacement (from the last time this happened), only a month or so old - and was running 3.40 (I think)

My girlfriend hadn't updated hers through any of the last 6 months betas, so not sure what version she was running?

We both, independently of each other, ran updates through the MyGarmin website, and both have the same end result.

To clarify - athough my 'puter won't recognise as a USB device, I have been able to try the cmd line software fix/patch/rollback mentioned earlier. But despite the 2.5 software apparently loading successfully, we're both still left with dead Oregons (dead meaning the Garmin splash screen, but no further activity, and having to pull batteries to shut down)

Help!!!

To update - both units will now get seen by my puter if I press and hold before plugging in, something they weren't doing earlier.

I've now tried running webupdater (rather than MyGarmin as last time) - but after the loader has run through the GPS doesn't try to install the new software, and I end back at the same spot (Garmin splash screen)

help (again!!)

Edited by keehotee

See posting #4

Or try just push and keep pushing your on button, and connect the gps to the usb

Try the 'recover' as mentioned in 3.71 to 3.74

Both units now have constant Garmin splash screen.

PC will not recognise either as USB drive - even tried holding the button for 5 minutes.

Updater software fix doesn't work - PC doesn't see any USB devices.

Oh - and GPS won't power down. Have to pull the batts to do that.

Any more suggestions, anybody?

And yes - I could send to Zagg for replacements. Are we covered if 3rd party appliance is at fault? And will Garmin pay for all the postage??

Didn't see you were in the UK. Postage would still be less than replacing I would guess. Maybe send an email to zagg and ask your question. I was just trying to offer a suggestion to help save you some money.

@Keehotee

FWIW

I blame the webupdater.

Goto

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/oregon/

or

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Versions

Get a pre 3.71 version

When you have a

[Drive]:\Garmin\gupdate.gcd

situation, you can disconnect from Usb, push On, after a while it should start installing.

Thanks for those - but unfortunately still not having any luck. Updater.exe runs OK in every case, but when I disconnect and restart both units just hang at the garmin splash screen :D

Just to get a feel for this - has anybody who's done a successful upgrade to the latest software done so through my.garmin.com - or have they all been via webupdater?

I have to confess we've always used the site to update - I hadn't even heard of webupdater until today (too late, as it happens :D )

I updated my 450 from the MyGarmin website with no problems.

Edit: To add, I just got my 450 a couple days ago, REI has a great sale right now $249, and immediately updated it to the latest version, then this update came out and I updated again. So it may be a problem with updating from the order versions, if you hadn't updated it in a while.

Edited by EddieB606

I updated my 450 from 3.50 to 3.80 using the webupdater last night and had no problems. I had the unit in the field today and am happy with the result.

I did notice that if I use the "geocaching nearest" dashboard for the map display, and press the cache information box in the upper right corner, pressing the back arrow on the "view your geocaches" page, the unit will shut down. It seems to be related to using the "custom" fields option under map setup and using the nearest dashboard when not navigating.

Reading the posts, does not seem to be a common denominator why the update works for most but for some it does not. It should be all or none. There must be some other factors at work here, perhaps like hardware issues, e.g. faulty cables, USB connections, faulty unit memory or software related issues like corrupted unit drivers, computer communication problems, etc.. It would be nice to know what is causing these inconsistent hangs.

I just updated to 3.80 via WebUpdater mygarmin.com/dashboard updater, and it took about 5 minutes total, and the GPSr seems to be working properly. I plan on taking it out in the field on Monday, so we'll see how it works then, but I don't expect any issues.

(edit to correct source of update..)

Edited by LaxRef93

Reading the posts, does not seem to be a common denominator why the update works for most but for some it does not. It should be all or none. There must be some other factors at work here, perhaps like hardware issues, e.g. faulty cables, USB connections, faulty unit memory or software related issues like corrupted unit drivers, computer communication problems, etc.. It would be nice to know what is causing these inconsistent hangs.

In our case two separate 550's, both updated using different pc's, but both using the interface on the my.garmin.com dashboard page, NOT webupdater.

The my.garmin.com/dashboard update seems to be the answer.... :D:D

I've got a 550 with 3.71 I've tried web updater and dashboard with no luck. The file goes on the unit no prob but then hangs at 0%. I can pester it into stopping then I go into mass storage and delete the update file. Otherwise the unit still works fine but I can't get the 3.8 update to install. Gahh. :D

Hi,

I also had 3.71 and tried the update with webupdater with no luck (frozen at "Validating install...").

However, I removed the gupdate.gcd file and tried to update to 3.74 following the instructons in Garmin's page.Then, I could flawlessly update to 3.80.

It seems that there is something in 3.71 that blocks any update unless forcing USB mode.

well i update my 450 to 3.80 last night no problems at all..Today out in the field no problems UNTIL i began doing a Wherigo..When i got to the second stage of it my 450 shut off..Sooooooo back to the begining i went...well as i got to the 3rd stage my screen locked up..I don't know if this is due to the update or if the cartridge was faulty? Any ideas???

Looking through this again, I'd say there are a couple of things falling out of the data:

1) 3.71 owners should not try to update directly to 3.80, most likely for the same reasons that they could not update directly to 3.74. If I were running 3.71, I'd bump it up to 3.74 using the special instructions provided before using Webupdater (not the dashboard) to move on to 3.80 per #2, below. The problem appears to be an issue with the file transfer code in 3.71.

2) Some owners running other versions (non-3.71) seem to be running into trouble with dashboard updates. So far, I don't see anyone having any trouble using the Webupdater to move to 3.80 from other versions than 3.71. Looks like Webupdater is the best choice.

Following whichever of those two options fits your situation appears to be the best course of action at the moment.

[quote name='Catch43'

I noticed the same thing with Ver 3.80 (both on the 450 and 550t). Are you connecting via "Garmin Serial" or "Garmin Spanner"? I have my connection set to "Garmin Spanner'...and found that if you power up the GPSr without connecting it to the PC...and then plug in the USB cable...when the "Connect via Mass Storage" screen comes up...select Yes, and it seems to connect a little faster than if you power it up by first connecting the USB cable.

Bill

I noticed the same thing with Ver 3.80 (both on the 450 and 550t). Are you connecting via "Garmin Serial" or "Garmin Spanner"? I have my connection set to "Garmin Spanner'...and found that if you power up the GPSr without connecting it to the PC...and then plug in the USB cable...when the "Connect via Mass Storage" screen comes up...select Yes, and it seems to connect a little faster than if you power it up by first connecting the USB cable.

Bill

If my Garmin is already powered up, connecting it to the USB cable pops a copy of the Garmin icon in My Computer in about 6 seconds.

FWIW, my setup indicates the connection type as "Garmin Serial".

Looking through this again, I'd say there are a couple of things falling out of the data:

1) 3.71 owners should not try to update directly to 3.80, most likely for the same reasons that they could not update directly to 3.74. If I were running 3.71, I'd bump it up to 3.74 using the special instructions provided before using Webupdater (not the dashboard) to move on to 3.80 per #2, below. The problem appears to be an issue with the file transfer code in 3.71.

2) Some owners running other versions (non-3.71) seem to be running into trouble with dashboard updates. So far, I don't see anyone having any trouble using the Webupdater to move to 3.80 from other versions than 3.71. Looks like Webupdater is the best choice.

Following whichever of those two options fits your situation appears to be the best course of action at the moment.

What if I reverted back to another version like 3.4 and up graded to 3.8 from there would that work?

What if I reverted back to another version like 3.4 and up graded to 3.8 from there would that work?

generally most likely yes, but chances are that something in 3.71 is botched so that no firmware can be loaded the usual way and you have to use the special upgrade procedure included with 3.74.

I had considered downgrading before upgrading when my upgrade from 3.71 to 3.80 failed.

Tonight I went back to 3.4 and then to 3.8.

The firmware upgrade was not an issue then.

The only problem was that I had to restore my profiles from a save.

(I saved all files on the GPS before downgrading the firmware.)

generally most likely yes, but chances are that something in 3.71 is botched so that no firmware can be loaded the usual way and you have to use the special upgrade procedure included with 3.74.

Thanks to all who posted the problems and solutions with the upgrade from 3.71 to 3.80. I also had the problem with the Oregon 450 ver. 3.71 getting stuck at 0% upgrade applied screen.

I downloaded the 3.6 version, installed it successfully, and then successfully was able install the 3.80 successfully.

I couldn't have done it without the help from this forum. :)

I also just bought an Oregon 450 when it was on sale at REI. We used it over the Labor day weekend with 3.50 software as delivered. I wished for a couple of missing features and noted they had been added. I used Webupdater to upgrade to 3.80 and the unit ended up freezing at the Garmin Flash screen. Garmin phone support sent me an .rgn file and updater.exe to force a load of 3.70 software. It worked, but I still couldn't update to 3.80 without the frozen flash screen. Finally did a Master Reset to delete all user data and then the 3.80 would load properly.

My advice: Try master reset (as noted elsewhere) before upgrading to 3.80. If you do have the the frozen flash screen - contact Garmin for the fix. Let me know if you have any questions.

I updated my 450 the other day and today I noticed that the brown backround color on my free topos is now white. Anyone else had this problem?

yeah they changed that somewhere in the beta firmwares. the brown background used to come from the "shaded relief" option, even though no shaded relief data was available. i guess they thought that was a bug. i got used to it by now, but certain map details (power lines) aren't visible any more now.

I've had my 450 for a few months and had been a little disappointed with accuracy while caching. I was finding out that my e-trex vista seemed a lot more accurate than the 450. Well..the other day I upgraded to the 3.80 version and now the 450 is working GREAT! Had no issues with the download either.