* Improved WAAS performance

* Fixed elevation profiles to always use the most detailed DEM data loaded

* Fixed issue with calculator % function

* Fixed issue with map POI's showing twice for a single point

* Fixed issue with Oblique Mercator User grid

* Fixed occasional shutdowns

* Fixed spot sounding display on certain maps

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4051

I updated my 300 tonight. Everything went smooth with the update. I pulled the sd card just to be on the safe side. I started playing around with it and went to waypoints. Whoa I opened them up and there were all the caches from a previous query that I deleted yesterday. Showed both found and unfound caches. Opened up Mapsource trips and waypoints dumped the waypoints in and batched deleted the caches, sent then back to the Oregon everything is good again. Only problem I have found so far.

I updated my 300 tonight. Everything went smooth with the update. I pulled the sd card just to be on the safe side. I started playing around with it and went to waypoints. Whoa I opened them up and there were all the caches from a previous query that I deleted yesterday. Showed both found and unfound caches. Opened up Mapsource trips and waypoints dumped the waypoints in and batched deleted the caches, sent then back to the Oregon everything is good again. Only problem I have found so far.

Maybe I was a little too quick blaming the update for the waypoint problem. Thinking back on the events of last night. After I deleted the waypoints via mapsource I deleted all the queries then reloaded them on the oregon. Then I noticed a second temp file in my garmin gpx folder. Opened it up and sure enough all the caches from the deleted query and from my waypoints were in there. I wish I would have noticed it sooner could have saved a lot of aggravation. Still funny though I know they weren't in the waypoints because I deleted a bunch of marked waypoints before the update. I would have noticed them they were marked while doing the caches that showed up in there found.

Another question. I did move that query over to mapsource to make a printed copy of the map. Does Garmin automatically save a temp file of a GPX file sent to mapsource.

Updated no problem, all looks good.

Can anyone tell me what "Added ability to set user declination direction" actually means ?!

If you want your mag/electronic compass to point to true north instead of magnetic north, you need to let it know how far off whack magnetic vs. true north actually are. Same as when you 'calibrate' a factory compass in a vehicle. There, they show you a map and you pick a zone that matches your area to get it close. The difference between magnetic north for your area and true north is called the "declination".

Under System / Heading / North Reference, you can now choose from True, Magnetic, Grid, or User. If you select "User", you can input a declination for the area you're in. Selecting "Magnetic" presumes to know what the declination should be based upon your current position. Now they let you poke in your own value. Not sure why.

Which setting makes sense depends upon what you're doing with a GPS. Since we use WGS84 for caching, and this datum isn't in any way based upon magnetic north, we all tend to assume true north for north. Working with certain maps or magnetic headings would be the only reason I'd find a need for the other options.