SpiderTracks??

GRANDMASTER CACHE

Egads, I feel dumb... I was trying to find out what "Spider Tracks" are, when I finally (one day later) find out that "Spider Tracks" is a geocacher! DOH! Anyway, we picked up this Spider Track #136, which is a geocaching "souveneir token." It says, "Token may be traded, placed in future cache, or kept as a collectible."

A search turned up nothing fruitful, other than one single post mentioning a cache "Spidertracks" place in Vernal, Utah... and for some reason the "U.K." popped up. Needless to say, we know what a travel bug is, and in fact are fostering the Blackjack Monterey Diver until we go to the coast.

These "tokens" are really clever and it appears that they are "SWB" designed? It is an octagon, laminated token and I'd be interested in obtaining some for our team. Anybody with a clue as to SWB? Maybe I should check out the local copy shop to see if they offer any neat-shaped laminates.

Anyway, another thing: How are these tracked? There are three "milestones" on the front of this, but it's already laminated. How would this be updated?

Also, are these popular? We've only run across this one, but it would be totally cool if more folks had these, because it would be neat to build a collection by swapping out token for token, ya know? Maybe this has been covered redundantly, so don't feel a need to respond if you're toll has been taken on the subject. I did search, as I explained - but am still lost. If these interest you, care to share? icon_smile.gif Incidentally, this Spider Track was found at the Ocean View cache. Thanks!

Grandmaster Cache

quote:
Originally posted by GRANDMASTER CACHE:

Egads, I feel dumb... I was trying to find out what "Spider Tracks" are, when I finally (one day later) find out that "Spider Tracks" is a geocacher! DOH! Anyway, we picked up this Spider Track #136, which is a geocaching "souveneir token." It says, "Token may be traded, placed in future cache, or kept as a collectible."

A search turned up nothing fruitful, other than one single post mentioning a cache "Spidertracks" place in Vernal, Utah... and for some reason the "U.K." popped up. Needless to say, we know what a travel bug is, and in fact are fostering the Blackjack Monterey Diver until we go to the coast.

These "tokens" are really clever and it appears that they are "SWB" designed? It is an octagon, laminated token and I'd be interested in obtaining some for our team. Anybody with a clue as to SWB? Maybe I should check out the local copy shop to see if they offer any neat-shaped laminates.

I dont think ive heard of SWB, but since you know who's coins they are you could try contacting Spider Tracks and asking him/her who made the coins.

quote:
Anyway, another thing: How are these tracked? There are three "milestones" on the front of this, but it's already laminated. How would this be updated?

Sometimes whoever releases the coins will setup some sort of database to track the coins as they move. I dont know what you mean by "update the laminate" icon_confused.gif

quote:
Also, are these popular? We've only run across this one, but it would be totally cool if more folks had these, because it would be neat to build a collection by swapping out token for token, ya know?

I dont know if theres ever been a count, but id guess there are "geocoins" of at least two dozen designs floating around out there. How popular is 24 of how many thousand cachers icon_wink.gif Some cachers have had their own personal coins made, and a few(?) geocacher groups have had them made up.

quote:
Maybe this has been covered redundantly, so don't feel a need to respond if you're toll has been taken on the subject. I did search, as I explained - but am still lost. If these interest you, care to share? icon_smile.gif Incidentally, this Spider Track was found at the Ocean View cache. Thanks!

Try running a search on "geocoin or geo-coins". I too tired at the moment to look some of them up.

waypoint_link.gif22008_1700.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

I can see you've already figured out what the spidertracks token is. I've found a few different geocachers using the laminated tokens, and they're pretty cool. I finally found some spider tracks for myself a few weeks ago, and that was good. I suppose I could always go to Vernal, and I probably will someday. I hear there are some really good caches out there.