Question about wet log

Rocksncachen

wondered what to do about logging a find even though I was unable to sign the log due to it being completely sopping wet.

You can add a signed piece of paper, or a few slips of waterproof paper if you have some (the next cachers might appreciate that). Do a "Found It" log online, and then do a separate "Needs Maintenance" log, about the wet log book.

If you have time to air-dry the log, that's fine, but it will likely just get soaked again (something's wrong with that too-much-water thing). If it's absolutely dripping wet in a ziplock bag, don't seal it back into the bag. Drain out as much water as you can from the container, and be sure to notify the cache owner.

You can add a new logsheet to the cache and sign it. I printed some spares of different sizes and carry them in my caching bag. I also carry some pencil stubs, some small and half sandwich zip lock bags. I replace what needs to be replaced if I can, but I leave the original logsheet. You can also explain what's wrong in Needs Maintenance Log, or Write Note under the Log Your Visit heading. Check on the cache logs by others after you were there and when it has been replaced or dried out, if it's close by, go back and sign it.

Thanks. I'll go back after it dries out. We've had flash flood warnings and terrible rains the past day or so and I stole a little time in between storms to look for a cache. When I found it it was in a cache with a torn plastic baggie that , of course, let all the lovely rain in.

Thanks for the replies. It helped. :D

If the log book is just damp then it's usually sufficient to just mention in your log that paper was wet. Any reasonable cache owner will read all of the logs of their caches and will see that and respond accordingly. If as you say you couldn't sign at all then a NM log is probably appropriate.

I keep meaning to put together a geocaching kit, i.e. pen (always with the pens!), tweezers, and replacement micro and nano cache logs.

I'm really new to this and wondered what to do about logging a find even though I was unable to sign the log due to it being completely sopping wet. I'm assuming the owner of the cache would like to know that it's damaged, right? How would I best go about doing this so I don't do something wrong?

Thanks.

This is a tuff one. We've given it some thought and come up with this idea: sign a piece of paper and put it in the container, then mention that in your online log. Might work.

Good question. I have found several that were so wet I could not get them out of the container. I did not have any paper handy with me so I logged the find (after all I did find the cache) and then log a note that the log is soaked. Usually you will not get a response from the CO anyway, but at least you try.