Alien Highway World Record yet?

ventura_kids

OK, I'll take it. <_<

How many caches do I need to find in one day to set a new record?

It seems that 1022 finds should do it.

I'll find them one at a time, and log them where they sit.

I'll take one car. Everyone will help find them.

I'll do it in one day.

Help find a cache that takes anywhere from 18-24 seconds from the time you get out a car, slap a sticker on a log, and get back in?

Edited by mulvaney

OK, I'll take it. :P

How many caches do I need to find in one day to set a new record?

It seems that 1022 finds should do it.

I'll find them one at a time, and log them where they sit.

I'll take one car. Everyone will help find them.

I'll do it in one day.

Help find a cache that takes anywhere from 18-24 seconds from the time you get out a car, slap a sticker on a log, and get back in?

perhaps he should look through guiness to find out if there is a stickering WR.... or petition for a geocaching one to be added - one defined by him. <_<

It's always been a competition for some. We've won a $500 color sportrac, a fleece vest, and a couple of really nice ammo cans competing.....lol

Now.... who has the most finds in one day without using any creative methods?

Geocaching Competition is an oxymoron for me.

Not to take away from other's 24 hour numbers achievements which are fine by me, but will never be a ruler that I measure myself by.

Records when it comes to geocaching are a personal thing to me. My personal geocaching records are way more important than anyone elses will be to me and I could care less about prizes.

What I don't get is whyyy folks want to argue the semantics of a record claim. So what. If someone wants to be recognized for their geocaching achievement I say good for them. It takes nothing away from me. <_<

What HE ^ said!!!!!!!!!!

Guess I won't be planning any trips to that region any time soon, since it seems there aren't any places that are worth spending more than a few seconds to enjoy the reason the cache hider brought me to their special spot????

I'm very new here, but at the first event I went to, I heard someone say that they were adding some caches to "fill in" gaps along a popular tourist route--meaning throwing micros in guardrails for every .1 mile. I thought, "How sad--now those who want to place a cache in a meaningful spot nearby may not be able to due to cache saturation from this."

Guess I won't be planning any trips to that region any time soon, since it seems there aren't any places that are worth spending more than a few seconds to enjoy the reason the cache hider brought me to their special spot????

I'm very new here, but at the first event I went to, I heard someone say that they were adding some caches to "fill in" gaps along a popular tourist route--meaning throwing micros in guardrails for every .1 mile. I thought, "How sad--now those who want to place a cache in a meaningful spot nearby may not be able to due to cache saturation from this."

Aside from the very obvious trail, there is much to see in this region and many of the local folks willing to add their two cents. Some fun to be had out in the desert.

Aside from the very obvious trail, there is much to see in this region and many of the local folks willing to add their two cents. Some fun to be had out in the desert.

Yes, and thank you. Sarcasm aside, I've been to parts of the region in the past and have checked out some incredible blogs on Groundspeak by some who live there. I'll just have to learn how to use GSAK filters better if I go!

The region is worth a visit. There are interesting places along the highway, some of which have non-ET caches. There are incredible earthcaches in the Valley of Fire. And Toroweap is wthin reach. Between doing more of ET trail or taking One Giant Step . . . For me the answer was easy.

Yes, and thank you. Sarcasm aside, I've been to parts of the region in the past and have checked out some incredible blogs on Groundspeak by some who live there. I'll just have to learn how to use GSAK filters better if I go!

It's actually pretty simple. Load up the GPS with the caches along the route and start driving. If you see something interesting, stop. Get out of the car and take some pictures. Then look at the GPS. Chances are one of these caches will be nearby. Go find it. Just because someone put out 1000 caches doesn't mean you have to stop for every one.

Now the sad thing is that to support the numbers runs, I understand all the caches are on the same side of the highway. So if you're traveling the opposite direction, you may find you need to cross the highway to get the cache. This may make it a little harder. However, it's basically a two-lane road without a lot of traffic so it might not be that bad.

Hey VKs

It looks like the crew from NC are logging their finds.

They are claiming 1045 caches in 15 hours and 50 minutes. It sounds like they stopped at every cache and signed/stamped every log. They rented a van and kept the back door open for the duration. Part of the crew bailed and took care of business, hopped back in and off they went.

Heck, if you don't get your "ET" record, you can always head west on US6 towards Tonapah. There has been a power trail out there for a couple of years. One cache for each element on the Periodic Table. Add another 117 caches and you can claim the 24hr record.

Part of the crew bailed and took care of business...

So, only part of the crew found those 1045 caches? Yet they all claim finds? And pretend it's a record?

While I am a fan of group caching, my understanding of the concept is, at a minimum, everybody hunts each cache.

Once it's found, some groups will accept that everyone in the group gets a find, as they all shared in the search.

But I couldn't claim a find if all I did was sit on my duff in the back of a van.

So, only part of the crew found those 1045 caches? Yet they all claim finds? And pretend it's a record?

There really is no "search" out there. If you get out of the car, sign the log, or slap a sticker on the sheet, you can be back in the car within 20 seconds. So what does that leave a group to do? You might as well take an RV so at least the others could be making coffee.

The Repetitive Caching Council believes that its fine to log them anyway you want, but if you want a "record" then each person should sign the log or its just another form of leapfrogging - and don't forget to submit the results of your drug test to the approptiate authorities so the record is not tainted.

Edited by mulvaney

I love to hear of marathon caching trips. It never ceases to amaze me what kind of masochistic punishment cachers will put themselves through in the name of fun. I myself always have more fun after I've given a little blood during a hunt. Don't ask me why. ;)

I plan on posting an "after action report" when our small band returns from our 5 State Good Food & Good Caching weekend next month.

We are flying into Kansas City and hitting MO, IA, NE, SD and KS in 3 days. We only have three hard and fast rules:

1) 1 cache in each state (we've been surverying the areas, and I think we have some great caches on our short list)

2) Good food as often as possible (I hear they have good BBQ in KC. :D )

3) Have fun

We've done these types of run three times before, and always had a blast.

Hey VKs

It looks like the crew from NC are logging their finds.

They are claiming 1045 caches in 15 hours and 50 minutes.

Heck, if you don't get your "ET" record, you can always head west on US6 towards Tonapah. There has been a power trail out there for a couple of years. One cache for each element on the Periodic Table. Add another 117 caches and you can claim the 24hr record.

Hmmmmmm, I think a " good " 24 hour run will have to start in the Alamo, Nv. Area through to the historical marker at Hiko ... backtrack to the ET Hi-way head out to the terminus with branching out into the grouping along the Timpaiute Mine Rd. thence into Rachel for the chicken series continuing west one would want to include the caches along Gunderson Rd. ( that would include the 51 cache E.T. Head series. Mork from Ork a mile or so into the desert certainly calls as do the memorial caches to Mike Adams and Sgt. Stevenson. The caches at the western terminus of Hwy 375 in addition the the run to the final E.T. Cache. As pointed out from the above post the Periodic Table Series coupled with the greater Tonopah caches would round the desert experience. That would fill up a large chunk of time beyond the 16 ish hours to do the E.T. Highway.

Inclusion of the cache at the Phantom crash site near the Tempiaute series might call for only the most macho of cache-mobiles.

Edited by humboldt flier

While I am a fan of group caching, my understanding of the concept is, at a minimum, everybody hunts each cache.

Once it's found, some groups will accept that everyone in the group gets a find, as they all shared in the search.

But I couldn't claim a find if all I did was sit on my duff in the back of a van.

Isn't it clear to you by now that there is no hunting involved. These people are acting as a team. One is driving, one is taking care of paperwork and two are recovering the cache and signing the log book. Every 100 caches they rotate duties.

Isn't it clear to you by now that there is no hunting involved

I guess not. I thought that hunting for a cache was an integral part of this game. Hence, the admonitions against logging your own caches, with the oft cited adage, "You can't find it if you already know where it is". While driving down a road, hopping out every 529', might be fun for many folks, if there is no hunting/finding involved, is the activity really geocaching? ;)

I guess not. I thought that hunting for a cache was an integral part of this game. Hence, the admonitions against logging your own caches, with the oft cited adage, "You can't find it if you already know where it is". While driving down a road, hopping out every 529', might be fun for many folks, if there is no hunting/finding involved, is the activity really geocaching? ;)

No, it's not really hunting, but I'd like to do it. The purpose of this series is just for the novelty of it...to see how many you can get in an hour, day, etc. It's a blatant numbers run....not that there's anything wrong with that.

I guess not. I thought that hunting for a cache was an integral part of this game. Hence, the admonitions against logging your own caches, with the oft cited adage, "You can't find it if you already know where it is". While driving down a road, hopping out every 529', might be fun for many folks, if there is no hunting/finding involved, is the activity really geocaching? :D

Nope, just masochism supported on such a massive level by the "friends" that didn't talk you out of it.

IDK, i guess it could be fun as an adventure type thing, but I personally have no desire to ever do that. That is like the biggest waste of a day ever!

If I went out there, the only one I would want to do is the one where you see like KFC from space or something, but I thought I read that that thing is now gone. IDK.

And as we speak there is still a raging augment that because they crashed and had to be picked up.

They can't count the finds on the third rock from that sun.

There are pyramid micros all over the place.

And so they didn't beat the old record. :D:D:)

What? You think UFOs come here for the view its all about the numbers. :D

Edited by Scooter Rider

I guess not. I thought that hunting for a cache was an integral part of this game. Hence, the admonitions against logging your own caches, with the oft cited adage, "You can't find it if you already know where it is". While driving down a road, hopping out every 529', might be fun for many folks, if there is no hunting/finding involved, is the activity really geocaching? :D

Nope, just masochism supported on such a massive level by the "friends" that didn't talk you out of it.

Love the parsed quote LOL

t truly tickles my funny bone. Indeed, there may be a sado masochistic component coupled with a sprinkling of OCD thrown in for good measure. A number of similar minded folks continue to head into the desert to revel in this curiosity. A blend of folks from northern Europe, southwestern Europe, New Zealand, varied points across the United States and contingents from Canada. This may be something for the W.H.O. ( World Health Organization ) to look into. Perhaps we might be looking at an affliction about to go viral.

Hmmmmm, Old Uncle Sigmund could have a field day analyzing those who are lured to the desert. Daaaaaang, I am starting to twitch just at the thought of going back.

On a more serious note: Have a wonderful and salubrious day ... Geo Hugggzzzzzz to all.

Hmm, so not everyone on the team has to "search" for the cache or sign the log or touch the cache in any way. What's the rule on how close they have to be to the cache? Who wants to be on my team? I'll sign your name to my finds and you sign mine to yours, we all get the find! :anicute:

Yep, it seems that alot of folks have taken liberties with the rule that a cacher must physically sign the log in order to claim a find. I guess stamps and lables are okay, as long as they are on the physical log, not the log container. Pretty soon, it'll be accepted that cachers can shoot an arrow at the cache with their geonic inscribed on it. Why not etch your ititials into a bullet and shoot it near the cache from hundreds of yards away? You could find all of them in a few hours. Or, just take a jet ride over the path and will your sig to each log. If you believe it's true, isn't that good enough?