Alien Highway World Record yet?

ventura_kids

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5a-27c3ce5e9905

I was trying to see if anyone had set a new World Record for the most caches found in one day.

I had expected to see many groups of cachers on the Alien Highway group of caches set new records.

After reading all the logs, and quizzing all the possible record setters, it seems like most everyone used some sort of "modified method" to get them all in a day.

Who has the most finds in one day without using " a modified method"? :D

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5a-27c3ce5e9905

I was trying to see if anyone had set a new World Record for the most caches found in one day.

I had expected to see many groups of cachers on the Alien Highway group of caches set new records.

After reading all the logs, and quizzing all the possible record setters, it seems like most everyone used some sort of "modified method" to get them all in a day.

Who has the most finds in one day without using " a modified method"? :D

"modified method" == Euphemism for cheating*?

*not playing according the the norms established over the past ten years regarding logging methods.

Well I guess we can no longer try to claim geocaching is not a competition.

http://www.geocaching.com/itsoutthere/

Meh! Find three participating caches, log them, get a coupon code, get a discount. Isn't that all this is?

There have been other commercial gimmicks like that that were officially sanctioned. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Remember Jeep? I think there was another one when I first started, but can't recall who put it on.

It's always been a competition for some. We've won a $500 color sportrac, a fleece vest, and a couple of really nice ammo cans competing.....lol

Now.... who has the most finds in one day without using any creative methods?

Just wait a while. Someone will come along and claim the record with plenty of ideas on why their method should not be considered creative. Just good, honest, game play.

Well I guess we can no longer try to claim geocaching is not a competition.

http://www.geocaching.com/itsoutthere/

Meh! Find three participating caches, log them, get a coupon code, get a discount. Isn't that all this is?

There have been other commercial gimmicks like that that were officially sanctioned. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Remember Jeep? I think there was another one when I first started, but can't recall who put it on.

It says you have to sign the physical log book in the geocache. The puritans are going to interpret this as a rule even if you aren't competing the contest. :D

now i'm curious what those "creative methods" are!

The one I heard about was to put your name on a blank log sheet. Leave that in the first cache and take the log sheet from that cache to second cache signing it as you are driving, leave that in the second cache and take the log sheet from that cache to the third cache, and so on. Supposedly it saves a few seconds at each cache.

another is have a couple teams with a bunch of stickers. If you have two teams each team only needs to do half the caches because the other half is covered by the second team. Since the stickers have the team name all can then claim victory because all logs got "signed".

another is have a couple teams with a bunch of stickers. If you have two teams each team only needs to do half the caches because the other half is covered by the second team. Since the stickers have the team name all can then claim victory because all logs got "signed".

Leapfrogging is where each teammate skips over each other. With 5 people, each person goes to every 5th cache.

The one I heard about was to put your name on a blank log sheet. Leave that in the first cache and take the log sheet from that cache to second cache signing it as you are driving, leave that in the second cache and take the log sheet from that cache to the third cache, and so on. Supposedly it saves a few seconds at each cache.

You actually take the entire cache with you, and log it in the car. That saves about 20 seconds on each cache.

to me anything else other than each person physically visiting each cache and signing the log doesn't count because is cheating

i don't get what the fun is in doing hundreds of caches in one day

but whatever floats their boat

this comes to mind when i think of those people going on those power trail runs :D

click

Edited by t4e

It's always been a competition for some. We've won a $500 color sportrac, a fleece vest, and a couple of really nice ammo cans competing.....lol

Geocaching Competition is an oxymoron for me.

Not to take away from other's 24 hour numbers achievements which are fine by me, but will never be a ruler that I measure myself by.

Records when it comes to geocaching are a personal thing to me. My personal geocaching records are way more important than anyone elses will be to me and I could care less about prizes.

What I don't get is whyyy folks want to argue the semantics of a record claim. So what. If someone wants to be recognized for their geocaching achievement I say good for them. It takes nothing away from me. B)

yes, it was done, but lucky for all of us they are not big on forum posting so they didn't come here to do the obnoxious "look at us, bow before us" thread.

Who has the most finds in one day without using " a modified method"? B)

anyone who uses a "modified" method on power trails is cheating. it is plain and simple. do one cache as a "team" and sticker it or whatever.... doing 800 via some work-like shift rotation amounts to 4 people doing 200 each (not 800 for 4). does that mean the US is even lower ranking in the world on math now? :D

Hello. New here, first post. I just had to know what a thousand caches would look like on the map. So I stitched together the maps from the search for the Alien Highway cache series.

1k.jpg

I assume these are not all LPC's or guardrails? :D I knew I should have bought stock in magnetic key holder companies. B)

Seriously though, that is dedication to place that many caches.

There are no LPCs in the bunch. No light post skirts to put them on in the middle of the desert, heh. Most of them are at the base of sign posts, some are in guardrails, but a good many of them are actually hidden similarly to most of the hides in that part of the desert; in some rocks or bushes, and many of them require a good amount of walking from the car to get them.

We didn't set any records though... we didn't even finish the trail. I personally don't see it as a competition. I wanted to see what the hubbub was about. As I've said many times before, don't knock it til you've tried it.

This was the best part:

14mxmia.jpg

http://coord.info/GC253ZN

Quite a hike!!

Edited by nymphnsatyr

While we have never tried one of the mega-trails but we have tried to do the numbers thing on two separate occasions. We picked heavily saturated areas known for numbers caching. I don't think we made it past the one hour mark before we just couldn't take it any more. Mind numbing. I just can't wrap my mind around what makes these so attractive to people. Oh well.

What would be dedication would be if they maintained everyone of them (replace missing caches, fix/replace broken containers, replace full logbooks) in a timely fashion for the next 3 years.

If the first container was being replaced on a regular basis by cachers who sign the log and carry it enroute to the next, then eventually the entire series would be self maintained.. B)

What would be dedication would be if they maintained everyone of them (replace missing caches, fix/replace broken containers, replace full logbooks) in a timely fashion for the next 3 years.

If the first container was being replaced on a regular basis by cachers who sign the log and carry it enroute to the next, then eventually the entire series would be self maintained.. :D

Yes the method described by T:

Leave that in the first cache and take the log sheet from that cache to second cache signing it as you are driving, leave that in the second cache and take the log sheet from that cache to the third cache, and so on. Supposedly it saves a few seconds at each cache.

And you could have about 50 film canisters in the car already signed to throw down if you suspect one of the PT caches to be missing or it's taking too long to find it. B)

Any talk of a world record naturally brings the question of standards: a person caching by him or herself is different than a group effort. How big of a team are we talking about? Has the cacher successfully passed testing for steroids or other drugs? If stickers are used, DNA testing should be done. Have the finds been verified by a competent authority? And what about the length of the search itself? Then there are the questions about whether the person obeyed traffic laws, stayed on the highway, and personally completed every single find.

We had a nice time doing 150 or so caches along the repetitive trail, the few extra chicken caches, meeting the good folks at the Inn, visiting five or six earthcaches around the Valley of Fire (which slowed our numbers down considerably), and then heading back to Vegas for a great dinner at Viva Mercados. Since no one I have seen has yet equaled this specific feat, I would claim the world's record for this course -- but I was never tested for various substances. Considering what I had with our dinner, it was probably a good thing (my wife graciously served as the designated driver).

I am kind of interested in how many caches someone has done along the ET trail on a bicycle. Or how many cache locations were seen but passed by.

Edited by mulvaney

Geocaching Competition is an oxymoron for me.

Not to take away from other's 24 hour numbers achievements which are fine by me, but will never be a ruler that I measure myself by.

Records when it comes to geocaching are a personal thing to me. My personal geocaching records are way more important than anyone elses will be to me and I could care less about prizes.

What I don't get is whyyy folks want to argue the semantics of a record claim. So what. If someone wants to be recognized for their geocaching achievement I say good for them. It takes nothing away from me. B)

yeahthat.gif

As some in here would argue that a signature is not a requirement for a find, I'll claim that prize.

By flying over the area, I was able to get a visual on all 1000+ cache locations. Took me about 8 seconds.

Trophy, please! :):)

Awesome. B):D

In all seriousness though, the only competition I put into caching is to challenge personal goals for myself. Hiking the alien head was a personal milestone for me in hiking miles, and I felt quite accomplished after that.

Each time I can do a longer hike, or a higher terrain, I consider that to be a personal record, and that's the most important thing to me.

Edited by nymphnsatyr

Maybe I can talk my Fiancee into this because of Aliens.

I got my wife to come along for that reason. The route does take you to the famous Extraterrestrial Highway signs, past the "black mailbox" (which is no longer black), past an abduction site, and to the A'le'inn in Rachel (whose owner has some interesting stories about aliens and cachers). There is also a research museum on the way, although it was closed when we drove past. Of course, most experts will tell you that the strange lights that have been seen out here are mostly our own craft, reversed engineered at Area 51. But there are some interesting stories from people who have ventured off highway. If your fiancee is a fan of KFC, she also might appreciate the history in Rachel relating to that. Lots of touristy things to do - as long as she does not mind stopping every 528 feet or so at a pile of rocks along the way.

As a noncacher my wife preserved her sanity by timing how long it took for me to get out of the car, sign the log, and get back in. Maybe if your fiancee downloaded some of the Project Camelot podcasts or coasttocoastam shows, she could also listen to those.

Edited by mulvaney

yes, it was done, but lucky for all of us they are not big on forum posting so they didn't come here to do the obnoxious "look at us, bow before us" thread.

anyone who uses a "modified" method on power trails is cheating. it is plain and simple. do one cache as a "team" and sticker it or whatever.... doing 800 via some work-like shift rotation amounts to 4 people doing 200 each (not 800 for 4). does that mean the US is even lower ranking in the world on math now? :D

Who is it?

I got my wife to come along for that reason. The route does take you to the famous Extraterrestrial Highway signs, past the "black mailbox" (which is no longer black), past an abduction site, and to the A'le'inn in Rachel (whose owner has some interesting stories about aliens and cachers). There is also a research museum on the way, although it was closed when we drove past.

So, in other words, what you are saying is that the lame power trail caches are blocking the possibility for good caches along an interesting stretch of highway, right?

And this is a good thing because...?

What I can't figure out is "who would care", how many caches anyone gets in a day? I sure don't.

Care? No. Find them interesting? Yes, very much so.

I love to hear of marathon caching trips. It never ceases to amaze me what kind of masochistic punishment cachers will put themselves through in the name of fun. I myself always have more fun after I've given a little blood during a hunt. Don't ask me why. :rolleyes:

I would love to do a few of those caches, the alien face for sure, but it would be sheer torture to do them all for me...

Besides, I'm trying to keep my find numbers low. When the day comes that it is looked upon as cool to have a low number of finds over a long period of time, I will be looked upon as a trailblazer. :D:laughing:

What I can't figure out is "who would care", how many caches anyone gets in a day? I sure don't.

I love to hear of marathon caching trips. It never ceases to amaze me what kind of masochistic punishment cachers will put themselves through in the name of fun. I myself always have more fun after I've given a little blood during a hunt. Don't ask me why. ;)

I would love to do a few of those caches, the alien face for sure, but it would be sheer torture to do them all for me...

Besides, I'm trying to keep my find numbers low. When the day comes that it is looked upon as cool to have a low number of finds over a long period of time, I will be looked upon as a trailblazer. :D:)

I also love finding out how many finds people get in a day, and to hear the interesting stories that people tell of how they got them. I think it's really interesting, and I love the variances on the theme such as how many finds did someone get in a day on a bicycle, or in a boat, or on a motorcycle, or in a group, etc etc. I think it's fun!

I love to hear of marathon caching trips. It never ceases to amaze me what kind of masochistic punishment cachers will put themselves through in the name of fun. I myself always have more fun after I've given a little blood during a hunt. Don't ask me why. :D

Besides, I'm trying to keep my find numbers low. When the day comes that it is looked upon as cool to have a low number of finds over a long period of time, I will be looked upon as a trailblazer. B):)

I also love finding out how many finds people get in a day, and to hear the interesting stories that people tell of how they got them. I think it's really interesting, and I love the variances on the theme such as how many finds did someone get in a day on a bicycle, or in a boat, or on a motorcycle, or in a group, etc etc. I think it's fun!

Stories? I drove up the the sign, power antenna, or what the common theme is, got out, got cache, got in vehicle, drove 500 feet, to next sign, power antenna, or what the common theme is......

Interesting. :ph34r:

Dang it, I told myself I wasn't going to comment. ;)

I love to hear of marathon caching trips. It never ceases to amaze me what kind of masochistic punishment cachers will put themselves through in the name of fun. I myself always have more fun after I've given a little blood during a hunt. Don't ask me why. :D

Besides, I'm trying to keep my find numbers low. When the day comes that it is looked upon as cool to have a low number of finds over a long period of time, I will be looked upon as a trailblazer. B):)

Stories? I drove up the the sign, power antenna, or what the common theme is, got out, got cache, got in vehicle, drove 500 feet, to next sign, power antenna, or what the common theme is......

Interesting. :ph34r:

Dang it, I told myself I wasn't going to comment. ;)

Ahhh Grasshopper... You don't get it yet. It's not about the caches... It's about the people.

Team Snook (#2 cachers in finds worldwide) told me of their adventure on that power trail. You could see on their face how much fun they had. B)

Interesting. :D

Dang it, I told myself I wasn't going to comment. :)

I wasn't talking about power trails, I was talking about caching in general. Le sigh. ;) As for power trails though, yes, we do have some stories, and a lot of memories that have nothing to do with what you just said above.

Forget it, I'm done repeating myself or trying. Just like the caches you like, and I'll like the caches I like, and I'll have fun and share stories with those who care rather than beating my head against a wall trying to be positive.

As I've said before, I didn't even like the trail that much... it was the rest of the journey that was fun.

But forget it, I've had enough. B)