Dell Axim x50 - what do I need?

CaryHaven

I have a basic Garmin to actually use for the gps hunt. I only want to keep the list of caches (with hints and such) on my PDA because my Garmin is too basic to do this. Is GSAK the right program? I don't know what Plucker or Cachemate is....I'll download whatever will work if someone will just tell me. :D Thanks!

If all you want to do is keep a list of caches then GPXView will do that. Can't beat the price. It's free on line.

If you want to do a bit more than just keep a listing then GPXSonar looks and works like GPXView but it also has a few other additional options. The downside is GPXSonar is no longer supported by the developer altho that won't be a real issue. You can still find versions of GPXSonar on line. And it's free too.

One nice thing about both GPXView and GPXSonar is the cache listing you see on your PDA looks like the cache page on Geocaching.com.

I've tried Cachmate and much prefer GPXSonar and GPXView.

Thank you! Thank you! I am all about the "free"! :D

If all you want to do is keep a list of caches then GPXView will do that. Can't beat the price. It's free on line.

If you want to do a bit more than just keep a listing then GPXSonar looks and works like GPXView but it also has a few other additional options. The downside is GPXSonar is no longer supported by the developer altho that won't be a real issue. You can still find versions of GPXSonar on line. And it's free too.

One nice thing about both GPXView and GPXSonar is the cache listing you see on your PDA looks like the cache page on Geocaching.com.

I've tried Cachmate and much prefer GPXSonar and GPXView.

Thank you! Thank you! I am all about the "free"! B)

Me too. Sometimes free isn't good but in the case of GPXSonar and GPXView free is definitely good.

If you decide to go with GPXSonar there are several versions of it depending on which software version is on your PDA. The last version of GPXSonar won't work on the early PDAs.

I use GPXSonar the most because it allows you to make notes and date/time stamps for each cache, it allows you to track TBs, figure WP projections, set center coords for a particular set of coord like home or sort the caches by making any of them the center coords, decypher hints. However if you get too many caches in one file on either then it will really slow down the program. Since my GPS will only hold 500 caches I limit my PDA files to the same number. Just create different files in the PDA and then load which ever caches I want. The larger the file the longer it takes to load in the PDA. A 500 cache file might take a minute to load but once loaded it works quickly.

Good luck and enjoy.

I had been using a Garmin V and dell Axim too. I used GpxView on the Axim. I downloaded to watcher then transfered to the Axim.

I used that for years until I got an Iphone.

Just Friday I finally upgraded my gps to Oregon 450.

Have fun.....that setup will last you for a great while.