CacheCat coins! New Editions Available

ECplus3

I wanted to design a coin that was fun and simple and cheap so that people would buy it and get some travellers out there. I think this fits the bill on all three counts.

I haven't decided on finishes or colours, but I think I'll experiment with glitters, pearlescent, translucent and solid (maybe not all on one coin!) The bevelled front design shown below would be for translucent enamel, but I'm not sure it'll give enough colour variation to make it worth doing. The samples will tell. :D

CacheCat_art.jpg

Edited by Eartha

Why have a 3D beveled fill area when you don't have any detail underneath? Doesn't that just add cost? Otherwise, I believe you've nailed your required parameters :D

TMA

If I stick with the bevelled front, there will be additional detail added. This was my first submitted art to see what the mint said.

will this be a coin or aluminum traveler?

ILYK

It will definitely be a geocoin. As TMA points out it may not be worth it to go with the bevelled front so I may drop it to 2.5mm thick. But still a coin. :)

Make sure that you properly attribute the quote to its author:

"There are few

things in life

more heartwarming

than to be welcomed

by a cat."

-- Tay Hohoff

It's very cute, and I like the semi-recessed detail under the enamel -- that's a nice touch!

Oops. Must have had that layer hidden when I converted to jpg. :yikes:

This was asked a while back...

by drneal, but it never was answered, as far as I can tell. And I realize that you are pretty far along in the process. Still, is there any chance that this might be a trackable tag, rather than a full-blown geocoin? Or is there a chance that you might offer it both ways.

Several reasons for possibly doing it both ways. The cost of tags is lower, for one thing, and the possibility of multiple sales is higher. You can also offer a different quote on the tags, which is something to be given careful consideration. There is no inexpensive way to offer more than one quote on a geocoin; each quote is a separate die, which jacks up the price. The same would apply to tags, of course, but the base cost of the tags is lower, so you would have a little more flexibility.

Just a thought. To be honest, this design would be far more in line with the designs of tags than it would be as a geocoin. I would buy five tags of this design; I would likely only buy two geocoins. It might be worthwhile to ask, i.e. do a small market study.

This was asked a while back...

by drneal, but it never was answered, as far as I can tell. And I realize that you are pretty far along in the process. Still, is there any chance that this might be a trackable tag, rather than a full-blown geocoin? Or is there a chance that you might offer it both ways.

Several reasons for possibly doing it both ways. The cost of tags is lower, for one thing, and the possibility of multiple sales is higher. You can also offer a different quote on the tags, which is something to be given careful consideration. There is no inexpensive way to offer more than one quote on a geocoin; each quote is a separate die, which jacks up the price. The same would apply to tags, of course, but the base cost of the tags is lower, so you would have a little more flexibility.

Just a thought. To be honest, this design would be far more in line with the designs of tags than it would be as a geocoin. I would buy five tags of this design; I would likely only buy two geocoins. It might be worthwhile to ask, i.e. do a small market study.

I agree, given the simplicity of the design, it would make a great tag with a lower price. Still seems to meet your goal of creating a design that is fun, simple and cheap I think there would be a lot more Cat's running around if you went with tags.

How about a Cat Travel Tag race!

With IHE and a screenprint, you could have made different versions with all the quotes

I may still use the different quotes. I really like using metal as a design element over screen printing whenever possible. The cost of producing a new die is only $50 compared to $20 per screenprint. IHE may be cheaper than transparent, but the extra step of screenprinting bumps the price back up. It works out about even in the end.

I don't have a force gauge, so I can't really figure out how much work it would take to break the tail off. But I haven't been able to bend it using hand pressure alone. Even pressing the tip of the tail against a table and pushing as hard as I can hasn't bent the tail noticably.