Which order for geocache hide?

e5c4p3artist

I am about to place my first hide. I have gotten permission and have my container ready. I want to label the cache with the GC code it gets assigned, but I assume I will not know that until after it is approved. Should I:

1. Hide the container without the code, submit for approval, go back and label it afterward?

OR

2. Submit it first, wait for approval and the GC code, label it, then go hide the container?

You can start your cache page with rough coordinates. Make sure you UNCHECK the "this cache is active" box, then submit. You will then have a GC code to label your cache. From there, hide it, edit the cache coordinstes, description, etc. When everything is ready, recheck the box to send the cache to a reviewer.

I am about to place my first hide. I have gotten permission and have my container ready. I want to label the cache with the GC code it gets assigned, but I assume I will not know that until after it is approved. Should I:

1. Hide the container without the code, submit for approval, go back and label it afterward?

OR

2. Submit it first, wait for approval and the GC code, label it, then go hide the container?

It's a while since our last hide, but isn't the GC code allocated when you generate the cache page, not once you release it for review?

Sorry, I'm not 100% sure.

You could try generating a cache page, leave the tick box unchecked that says it's ready for review and see if you get the code. I think you do.

Welcome and good luck with your first hide.

OR

It's a while since our last hide, but isn't the GC code allocated when you generate the cache page, not once you release it for review?

Sorry, I'm not 100% sure.

You could try generating a cache page, leave the tick box unchecked that says it's ready for review and see if you get the code. I think you do.

Welcome and good luck with your first hide.

Yes, the GC code is generated when you make the cache page even before it is reviewed. And definitely place the cache before you do submit it for review.

Yes, you can get the GC number for your cache before submitting it for review by ensuring that you uncheck the little box which says "Yes, this listing is active..."

When that box is unchecked you can create your cache page, put in your co-ordinates, fill in all the other details then go down to the bottom of the page and check the two little boxes "Yes, I have read and understand the Guidelines" and "Yes. I have read and understand the TOU agreement" (assuming you have) and then click on 'Report Listing'.

Doing all that will create your cache page for your listing - you'll be able to see exactly how it will look and the GC number will be there at the top right corner - but it won't go through to your reviewer's queue for review and publishing.

While that little box is unchecked you can play around with your cache page and edit it as often as you want, to get it just right.

Once you're happy with your cache page and you're ready to go ahead and submit it for review then you must make sure your cache is out there, in place, ready to be found.

Then you can go back to that crucial little box, put a tick in it to say that "Yes, this listing is active", check the two bottom boxes and "Report Listing" - and now it will go through to the reviewer for reviewing.

Good luck :D

MrsB

To add a bit to what MrB has said, really all you need is the coordinates (and they don't have to be spot on), a title, and the cache is ready box unchecked. You might need a word or two in the description field. Submit that and you get a GC number. You can then go back and edit everything on the page to your hearts content. Once you submit and it is published the coordinates are locked to 528 feet of change and the cache type is locked.

If for some reason your cache is rejected you can still reuse the page for a new cache, no need to archive.

Thanks all! I did exactly as you have all suggested. I went to the page and noticed that box. Did not check it and filled out the rest. I went out and got the coords, hid the cache, updated the description and have now checked the box! I can't wait for the review and approval, how exciting!

Congratulations! It's definitely an exciting experience. Our first cache was hidden and approved about a month ago.