Fanatsy Hockey Pool Cointest

FunkMaster-T

With just over a month till the 10-11 NHL season, and inspired by the Fantasy Football Cointests, I am sending out some feelers to see if there would be interest in having a Fanatsy Hockey Pool Cointest this year...

Here's How it would Work...

Everyone will put ONE UNACTIVATED COIN on the line for the winner

Each participant will choose his/her team...you will get to choose:

10 Forwards

2 Defencemen

2 Goalies

Scoring will be as follows:

2 points for a goal

1 point for an assist

2 points for a win (Goalie)

3 Bonus Points for a Shutout (Goalie)

Everyone will have the whole roster to choose from (no draft) so there will be some players that may be on most people's teams. That is ok. We will come up with some sort of tie breaker if the situation warrants it.

I am thinking of giving everyone 2 (and only 2) trades to use at anytime in the season

I have a website that I use for a Hockey Pool at work and would send each participant the site addy with password , etc, so you can keep track of your team and its progress

More details will follow if there is sufficient interest in this...

So whaddya folks think...any questions...let me know...T.

With a few people interested...we might as well go ahead with this...lotsa time for more people to join in!

I'm going to set a date of Oct 1/2010 (Midnight, Mountain Time)to have your team entries emailed to me to give me some time to enter them in before the season starts (I am pretty sure Oct 3 is the first day of the season...ONE MONTH!!!)

Keep a close eye on those training camps!!

Remember you are looking for:

10 Forwards

2 Defencemen

2 Goalies

Each team will have 2 trades to use throughout the season, simply by emailing/messaging me. I will make all the changes

If anyone else is interested, please feel free to join in

Any other questions? Please feel free to email or message me or post here.

Oh yeah...and Go Oilers Go!!

Good stuff, I will start my scouting :D

As we are declaring allegiances, Vancouver have my heart, but my other half is a Tampa Bay man, and my son supports Calgary (just to spite me, I think :) )

Locally here in England we are all season ticket holders at the Swindon Wildcats (we had a player from Gwinnett a couple of seasons ago, just out of interest, a big (sideways, not heightwise B)) D man called Jon Sitko – do you remember him, Shilo?)

I also closely follow a team each in a few other leagues – Manitoba Moose in the AHL, OSU Buckeyes in US college hockey, South Carolina Stingrays in the ECHL, and the Coventry Blaze in the UK Elite league.

It’s my ambition to see every NHL team play – a bit tricky given where I live, but I’ve managed 9 so far (Vancouver, 3 times – once at home, once @ Edmonton, once @ Calgary, Tampa twice @ home, Ducks and LA Kings in London, Coyotes in Vancouver, New Jersey Devils and Florida Panthers @ Tampa) and am off to see the Bruins in one month in Belfast, Ireland. So that gets me a third of the way there B)

I love hockey even more than I do geocaching (which is pretty much our off season hobby :), you can expect to see our find count plummet in a few weeks!)

Let the games commence!

Sarah

(who will of course pick her team based on how good looking the players are, and therefore will probably lose :) :) :) )

Locally here in England we are all season ticket holders at the Swindon Wildcats (we had a player from Gwinnett a couple of seasons ago, just out of interest, a big (sideways, not heightwise B)) D man called Jon Sitko – do you remember him, Shilo?)

Let the games commence!

Sarah

I remember the name!!! Not to sure how he played though-(

Looked him up and he played for us 2 years. He was here during our Kelly Cup finals run.

Go Av's and Sharks!!!! And of course the Gladiators!!!!

Just Bodychecking this thread back into existence...

2 more days to get your teams in...T.

just sent mine

have been sitting on it waiting for some spare time to do the job properly, but that spare time wasn't forthcoming, so I'm not 100% happy with my choices, some of them seem way too obvious!

but never mind, at least they are mainly, in theory, fairly safe bets

am off to Belfast, Ireland in 2 days to see the Boston Bruins! yay!

catch you all when the season starts proper :laughing:

Sarah

Email Recieved ChaosCrew...and have fun at the game in Belfast!! You should make a sign that says ChaosCrew and we'll see if we see you on TV...T.

I don't think the exhibition game I'm going to is being televised :unsure: but just in case, if it does pop up on the TV, look out for the woman in a dark blue Canucks jersey stood next to a man with what looks like a Disney High School Musical logo on his jersey - our local team sadly have taken the Wildcats thing a bit too far!

I debated eliminated Crosby Ovechkin and Malkin from the pool completely...or anyone who scored over 85 points last year or something similar just to make it more interesting and spread the players out some more but in the end, decided that, at least for this, the first year, to keep it simple...maybe we will expand next year...T.

So the Entry Period is over (although the season doesn't start till the 7th...I was sure I heard the 3rd...ooops)

We have 7 entries:

Shilo

Theotokos

Amaroo

Chaos Crew

Mauison

Wheezor

Funkmaster-T

If any of you have not recieved the Pool Info, please message me...

Will try to update from time to time with how the pool is doing, in case anyone else is interested...

Go Oilers Go

T.

So the Entry Period is over (although the season doesn't start till the 7th...I was sure I heard the 3rd...ooops)

We have 7 entries:

Shilo

Theotokos

Amaroo

Chaos Crew

Mauison

Wheezor

Funkmaster-T

Will try to update from time to time with how the pool is doing, in case anyone else is interested...

Go Oilers Go

T.

And I see you put the list in order of finish :blink:

We have 7 entries:

Shilo

Theotokos

Amaroo

Chaos Crew

Mauison

Wheezor

Funkmaster-T

Go Oilers Go

T.

And I see you put the list in order of finish ;)

Oh cool I came third :D:blink: better than expected lol

First period just finished by the way, Boston 0 Belfast 0, but it is more interesting a game than that sounds :ph34r:

I think what is interesting is that this pool is ultimatly going to come down to Secondary D-Men and Secondary Goalies. Other than that we all have mostly the same players (with a few exceptions) but we almost all have different goalies and D-men...And none of you stand a chance against The Funkmaster-T!!!

PS Chaos Crew...How was the game? I thought it was an exibhition between 2 NHL teams so thats why I thought it would be on TV...Are you getting to see any of those games?

PS Chaos Crew...How was the game? I thought it was an exibhition between 2 NHL teams so thats why I thought it would be on TV...Are you getting to see any of those games?

The game was an odd one – started off well – although no score in the first there was plenty going on, and Boston were a bit unlucky, I think they had 16 or 17 shots, good shots at that, but the Belfast nettie was on fire. Plenty of pretty hockey to watch, always a joy to watch the precision of NHL-quality passing, we don’t see so much of that over here :D

But then in the second period it all went a bit flat, and we could hear a lot of “I thought Boston would be a lot better than this…” etc being muttered around us. Then just a couple of minutes before the end of the period, Belfast scored! Holding a NHL team scoreless for almost 2 periods and then getting a goal on them was a bit of a shock for a British team as you can imagine! The crowd went bananas! :laughing:

It was clearly what Boston needed to wake them up though, as before the period ended they had scored 3 times in one minute to put them 3-1 ahead :laughing: And then they scored twice again in the third, so the final result was 5-1

Fun game to watch, though, apart from the quiet bit in the middle, and it puts my count of NHL teams seen live up to 11/30, so I’m happy :anicute: They were my first original six team too.

As for television – there were definitely TV cameras there, lots of them, and we kept having stoppages for ad breaks, so it must have been televised somewhere, no idea where though (not on any of the UK sports channels for sure)

And no, sadly, we won’t be going over to Finland, Sweden or the Czech Republic for any of the season openers – they are all very expensive to travel to from the UK, and to be honest none of the teams playing, with the possible exception of Boston and San Jose, are ones that I desperately need to see. So we settled on the Belfast game as a cheaper alternative.

Finally! After 3 1/2 long months...the ice is frozen, the nets are in place...the Leaf fans are planning another parade that will never happen...HOCKEY SEASON STARTS TODAY!!! If anyone is looking for me I will be in front of my TV until next June...T.

Well we are always hopeful the Leafs will win....off to a good start.

Finally! After 3 1/2 long months...the ice is frozen, the nets are in place...the Leaf fans are planning another parade that will never happen...HOCKEY SEASON STARTS TODAY!!! If anyone is looking for me I will be in front of my TV until next June...T.

And just in time for my regional Fox sports network to hike rates so high that Dish Network refuses to pay. Now I can't even watch my hometown Thrashers.

Stop those mail carriers...get your coins back from when you all sent them to Shilo...looks like Shilo is dropping like Calgary's playoff hopes...

I can't log on to check from work, but I'm guessing I'm still last? sob. that'll trust me to put all my eggs in one basket.

At least Bobby Luongo seems to be finding his form early this year - he normally waits until November :P But he won't help me anyway because you lot have all picked him too!

Probably not Theotokos...for the most part everyone has the majority of the same players...Its really going to come down to who has the best secondary D-Man and Goalie...thats where the majority of the changes are. I think next year, if we do this again I would eliminate any player that scored 85 points or more in the season, or something like that...that would spread the selections out alot more

Just about at Month 2 so I thought I would post the points update...

1 Funkmaster-T 487

2 Amaroo 467

3 Theotokos 464

4 Chaos Crew 463

5 Wheezor 451

6 Mauison 448

7 Shilo 410

...T.

running away with the lead a bit there, Mr T, slow down a little and give the rest of us a chance :D

I am pleased to see that although in 4th, I'm not too far away from 2nd place

I feel like I ought to utilise one of my trades and can Phaneuf as 1) he's injured and 2) he wasn't playing well even before he got injured, but I'm paranoid that if I do, two of my top forwards will suddenly be put out for the season and I'll have wasted my trade.

dither dither.