no emails since 3 days from GC.com

F2-Beamer

All geocaching.com mails are not receiving.

My provide check the blacklist on the mailserver, but nothing are in the list.

I too have not been receiving any emails from geocaching.com for the past few days. I am getting mail from other sources though. I have done several test notifications for different areas and the expanse of the search but nothing is coming through. I've checked everything that needs to be checked but still nothing. Any ideas?

I too have not been receiving any emails from geocaching.com for the past few days. I am getting mail from other sources though. I have done several test notifications for different areas and the expanse of the search but nothing is coming through. I've checked everything that needs to be checked but still nothing. Any ideas?

Is it possible they are going to your spam mail? I had that happen when I accedently sent a paticular e-mail to spam.Found it and re-set it to non spam.

Is it possible they are going to your spam mail? I had that happen when I accedently sent a paticular e-mail to spam.Found it and re-set it to non spam.

They are not going to my spam. I check my spam all the time and I'm getting my usual spam. I am getting email from all other sources except for gc.com. My husband is also not receiving any emails from home or at his office. Have they somehow deleted our names from their lists?

I just noticed that today too. I have a load of caches along both sides of the main corridor to the North Georgia Mountains and it was a perfect caching weather day. I haven't gotten anything all evening (when most of the cachers around here belly up to the 'puter and log their finds) and only one find early this morning along with four TB drops for an event cache I am attending next weekend. So to quote Samuel L. Jackson from "The Long Kiss Goodnight", 'What up wit dat?' :D

If anyone missing emails is running SpamAssassin, there's a possibility that it's the culprit.

I'm having no trouble receiving email via Yahoo and GMail, running no other software that might interfere with mail.

My server uses SA but I'm certain that isn't the problem. For one, I have trained all emails from geocaching.com as HAM (not spam) since I have joined and two, I have geocaching.com whitelisted. Last email received from GC on Aug 30th. Last GC site update on Aug 31st. Coincidence? Not sure.....
Last email received from GC on Aug 30th. Last GC site update on Aug 31st. Coincidence? Not sure.....

i would say yes, because everything is still working fine here, and comparing the emails from before and after brings up zero differences, both in headers and body.

Last email received from GC on Aug 30th. Last GC site update on Aug 31st. Coincidence? Not sure.....

i would say yes, because everything is still working fine here, and comparing the emails from before and after brings up zero differences, both in headers and body.

I'll contact my site provider and have them check their logs. Perhaps GC somehow wound up on some kind of blacklist and emails are getting blocked by another level of spam protection that is out of my control. This happened a couple times with my previous site provider and turned out to be something called Magic Spam. They claimed it was a misconfiguration on the email sender's end that triggered a block in Magic Spam. Something is going on though. Seems several people are missing them all of the sudden, but at the same time other people aren't missing them at all. Strange.

I'll contact my site provider and have them check their logs. Perhaps GC somehow wound up on some kind of blacklist and emails are getting blocked by another level of spam protection that is out of my control. This happened a couple times with my previous site provider and turned out to be something called Magic Spam. They claimed it was a misconfiguration on the email sender's end that triggered a block in Magic Spam. Something is going on though. Seems several people are missing them all of the sudden, but at the same time other people aren't missing them at all. Strange.

I got a response from my web hosting company. They have whitelisted the IP address of the GC mail servers but if this same problem is the cause of others not receiving emails lately then it sounds as though something needs to be done on Groundspeak's end. From what I get out of it, the problem is that the sending address (noreply@geocaching.com) is not a real/working address, therefore it is getting blocked. I asked him why this would have started around August 31st when it worked prior to that and he said that his servers have always been configured that way and that something must have changed on the sender's side. Included in his reply is a log of emails I should have gotten from geocaching.com yesterday but were blocked.

Response from my web hosting company (please note I have replaced my actual email address with 'myemail@myserver.com'):

-------------------------------------------------------------------

They're sending emails from an account that doesn't actually exist and as such the emails from that address are being rejected. We follow the RFC Guidelines which in layman's terms state that if an email address doesn't exist, it can't send mail, and as such, email from said email addresses should be rejected.

root@fresco [/var/log]# cat exim_mainlog | grep "geocaching.com"

2010-09-05 18:11:28 H=signal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.157] sender verify fail for <noreply@geocaching.com>: response to "RCPT TO:<noreply@geocaching.com>" from barracuda.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.155] was: 550 Blocked

2010-09-05 18:11:28 H=signal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.157] F=<noreply@geocaching.com> rejected RCPT <myemail@myserver.com>: Sender verify failed

2010-09-05 18:25:17 H=signal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.157] sender verify fail for <noreply@geocaching.com>

2010-09-05 18:25:17 H=signal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.157] F=<noreply@geocaching.com> rejected RCPT <myemail@myserver.com>: Sender verify failed

2010-09-05 22:51:38 H=signal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.157] sender verify fail for <noreply@geocaching.com>: response to "RCPT TO:<noreply@geocaching.com>" from barracuda.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.155] was: 550 Blocked

2010-09-05 22:51:38 H=signal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.157] F=<noreply@geocaching.com> rejected RCPT <myemail@myserver.com>: Sender verify failed

2010-09-06 09:09:04 H=signal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.157] sender verify fail for <noreply@geocaching.com>: response to "RCPT TO:<noreply@geocaching.com>" from barracuda.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.155] was: 550 Blocked

2010-09-06 09:09:04 H=signal.Groundspeak.com [66.150.167.157] F=<noreply@geocaching.com> rejected RCPT <myemail@myserver.com>: Sender verify failed

I've whitelisted the mailserver IP for the sender so that it will pass these checks but you should pass this information on to the sender so they can remedy this.

root@fresco [/var/log]# telnet signal.Groundspeak.com 25

Trying 66.150.167.157...

Connected to signal.Groundspeak.com (66.150.167.157).

Escape character is '^]'.

220 signal.Groundspeak.com ESMTP Postfix

EHLO myserver.com

250-signal.Groundspeak.com

250-PIPELINING

250-SIZE 134217728

250-ETRN

250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

250-8BITMIME

250 DSN

MAIL FROM: <myemail@myserver.com>

250 2.1.0 Ok

RCPT TO: <noreply@geocaching.com>

554 5.7.1 <noreply@geocaching.com>: Relay access denied

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by The Dommer Party

I have the same from my ISP.

The Sender noreply@geocaching.com is rejected because the address doesnt exist.

12:35:25.780 2 ROUTER SMTP: 'noreply@geocaching.com' accepted: 'noreply@geocaching.com' at 'geocaching.com'
12:35:27.560 1 SMTPI-100321(signal.Groundspeak.com) Return-Path 'noreply@geocaching.com' rejected: address rejected with reverse-check

I have change no settings on my computer, no settings on my spam stuff, no settings on any programs. Nothing.

I get e-mails through geocaching such as from other users sending me messages.

The only thing I'm not getting is notification that my coin was dipped or dropped. That's it. That indicates to me that it's problem on ground speaks end and not mine. I even get the newsletter still.

The callback verification is far from perfect. This isn't the first time I've run into missing emails from this same problem. On the other hand, it can be pretty effective at blocking spam when a completely fake 'from' address is used.

Either way, lots of ISPs, WSPs and email providers (like Google & Yahoo but maybe not specifically) use this technique to block spam. Unfortunately not everyone can have a whitelist put in place on something like this. It seems to me that Groundspeak will need to fix this on their end by making all of their noreply@XXX addresses accept email, even if it goes directly to null. I'm not sure what the proper way of bringing this to their attention would be.

I also suspect that they may use multiple outgoing mailservers/IP addresses. While I have been getting some emails from geocaching.com since my WSP whitelisted the IP address they found in the logs, I failed to receive an email today about a TB I dipped into a cache today. I don't own the TB but it is on my watchlist. I have sent a couple emails through GC the past couple days and who knows if they have tried to reply or not.... I'll likely never get them.

Something needs to be looked at. :rolleyes:

Edited by The Dommer Party
Still no emails for me (Gmail) from no-reply.

Posted a note to Groundspeak and got a nice sorry message with a suggestion I try gmail.....

Exactly how isolated/widespread is this issue?

It seems to be affecting quite a few but not all.... and who's to say how many it is affecting but they don't realize it.

** I just noticed that the link to Get Satisfaction is broken now that they changed over to "uservoice". We will have to start a new thread there if need be. While this may not affect everyone, it is definitely a problem that needs to be addressed. The more people that chime in, the better the odds of a resolution. **

:huh: I'm in the same boat, sort of. I am trying to get a cache approved and had it Suspended, or whatever the Not Approved Status is by one of the Volunteer Reviewers. I immediately wrote back with questions pertaining to it, no reply. I wrote to ANOTHER Volunteer and got a snarky reply about only dealing with the FIRST Volunteer on my case.

I moved the coords for the cache, wrote back to the First Volunteer indicating that in the Cache Log section, and I haven't heard from him/her/hym/hyr for four days now. Do I risk another admonishing by another volunteer by asking them, or what?

I have since submitted another cache that was approved and set right up by the second Volunteer I contacted, so it would appear that just the First Volunteer is not replying, or not getting my log replies? I've checked my spam numerous times a day, and I am using a netcom email address via Earthlink servers. I've also contacted them via GC.com and through their own GC.com related email.

I am at a loss here.

Nytshaed

Coroner of Muggled Caches

:huh: I'm in the same boat, sort of. I am trying to get a cache approved and had it Suspended, or whatever the Not Approved Status is by one of the Volunteer Reviewers. I immediately wrote back with questions pertaining to it, no reply. I wrote to ANOTHER Volunteer and got a snarky reply about only dealing with the FIRST Volunteer on my case.

I moved the coords for the cache, wrote back to the First Volunteer indicating that in the Cache Log section, and I haven't heard from him/her/hym/hyr for four days now. Do I risk another admonishing by another volunteer by asking them, or what?

most of the time you're not supposed to email the reviewers like that, but rather post a reviewer note on the cache listing and then enable it again.

Even when they TELL you to contact them at their Admin Email, or at the Cache Page? I did as I was instructed. I resubmitted the cache three days ago, and no answer via email or log.

"You may also email me at namehhidden@geocachingadmin.com or go to your cache page and email me via the link to my profile on the log entry. [red]Please be sure to mention you are referring to cache GCXXXX.[/red]

Now what?

Nytshaed

most of the time you're not supposed to email the reviewers like that, but rather post a reviewer note on the cache listing and then enable it again.

Edited by Nytshaed

Just figured I'd update this thread. I had posted the missing email problem on UserVoice and Jeremy has responded that the problem is now fixed.

Jeremy's response:

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. A recent upgrade to our own spam-defense system started rejecting requests to our noreply@XXX addresses. We have changed the setting so emails should start going out again.

http://feedback.geocaching.com/forums/7586...eived?ref=title

My emails have more or less stopped arriving since around 18th August. since then I have only had about 4 owner logs sent to me but around 30 visits to my caches also no emails sent when my TB were dropped. Groundspeak told me to contact NTL (virgin) who have denied it has anything to do with them. they are not going into a spam folder they are not coming through to my email address at all. Very frustrating as i can not keep up with what is happening without constantly logging onto each cache.

I was not receiving emails but have now solved the problem - they were getting blocked out of my control before coming to my account but have set up the following filter and now getting them ok. I am with veigin but I guess other providers will have similar path to set up a filter to allow.

In webmail, settings, filters, create a filter with is:spam in the field 'has the words'. Click next, click through the warning, check 'never send it to spam'. It is handy also to add a bespoke label here as well, so that you can still identify spam if you are using webmail. Then save and exit. Now webmail will not send anything to webmail spam, hence your email client will collect everything including spam which it can sort out itself.