Film Canisters

sjayc1977

Snappy Snaps :D

Good luck with this thread. :)

I think it is a perfectly valid question. If you have nothing to contribute, I would suggest moving on. It is no wonder people don't come to the forums when the first reply is something of this nature.

:D

Across the pond here in the US I see them in drug stores. Camera stores also put them in bins for recycling. You could try those two options. I usually have a few in case I come across a leaking container and replace it for the cache owner.

I think it is a perfectly valid question. If you have nothing to contribute, I would suggest moving on. It is no wonder people don't come to the forums when the first reply is something of this nature.

:)

Across the pond here in the US I see them in drug stores. Camera stores also put them in bins for recycling. You could try those two options. I usually have a few in case I come across a leaking container and replace it for the cache owner.

"Snappy Snaps" looks like a perfectly valid answer - or am I missing something? :D It's a photo processing shop franchise.

Edited by Happy Humphrey
Snappy Snaps :)

Good luck with this thread. :D

But Snappy Snaps is a perfectly valid answer to the OP question! :)

Edit to add:

And they've even got a branch 6 miles away from one of the OP's caches, in Chatham High Street, so CurryKev's reply seems to particularly useful to the OP !!!!!

Edited by MartyBartfast

Just wondering in this age of digital photography, where people get their film canisters from?

Boots

Jessops

Camera/film processing shops

Large Tesco's

Still plenty people getting film developed, just pop in shop and ask if they have any going spare, I usually get given a carrier bag full. :D

Sometimes they ask what they are for - I usually say a childrens treasure hunt as an easiest explanation. All they seem bothered about is that they are not used for footstuff.

However, you could also try the pound shops and get a pack of three wee lock type boxes for £1 - more watertight and you can get a wee TB or coin in them if needed! :):D:)

Snappy Snaps :D

Good luck with this thread. :)

I think currykev's reply was a valid contribution and as for his second comment, that was exactly what I thought on reading the original post when you consider how any thread concerning micros is turned into an anti micro discussion.

I suppose if you do not have Snappy Snaps across the pond then it could be taken the wrong way.

As for where I get mine, Tesco's if I want them but being diabetic I tend to use the tubs that my test strips come in as they are 99% waterproof and I have a couple of diabetic friends, non caching, who will supply me.

I think currykev's reply was a valid contribution and as for his second comment, that was exactly what I thought on reading the original post when you consider how any thread concerning micros is turned into an anti micro discussion.

I suppose if you do not have Snappy Snaps across the pond then it could be taken the wrong way.

We don't, but the second comment was what I was talking about. Just give the answer and don't start right in with egging on the angst.

We don't, but the second comment was what I was talking about. Just give the answer and don't start right in with egging on the angst.

As is often the problem with forums, any "angst" has actually been caused by the moderator! I'm not blaming Greg, as it often happens that the firefighter fans the flames.

I did understand the second comment, but didn't see it as egging on; more as anticipating the inevitable replies.

IMHO a valid point to make to someone thinking of hiding a micro, is to look further than the obvious container. So if this finishes with a discussion of options other than film containers, I don't see the problem. Who knows; we might have ended up convincing him to make a superb custom micro, hidden thoughtfully in an interesting place that few people know about.

In any case, if everyone remains civil then I think we can discuss most things. Even if some of us have been through it a thousand times already, to others it's all new.

I have stopped asking for film canisters, Im going for the film roll canister, makes a lovely cover for a log book. The ones I make are about 1,5m long and can take up to 100 log entries.

I've seen a few of these on the continent. Clever too.

The only drawback is they need a container to keep them dry.

Which does bring us back to square 1.

B)

Please note that this type

log-sheet-and-35mm-film-canister-300x225.jpg

Are prone to gaining extra water but can be used as multicache stages (piece of wood with coords written on them)

whereas this type

file.jpg

Are more waterproof in the long term.

You could also consider using waterproof paper to get over the old soggy log book issue traditionally associated with UK weather and small containers (think logging on a rainy day water will get in)

http://activesport.co.uk/shop/article_Memo...ps.html?pse=coa

We have always obtained ours from Boots but prefer very small tupperware over them as it more relieably waterproof and with the very thin boxes available these days can fit in very tight spaces that some film cans wont.

NB nowt wrong with currykev's comments it only has meaning to forum regulars and he did add the appropriate smilies B)

We have always obtained ours from Boots but prefer very small tupperware over them as it more relieably waterproof and with the very thin boxes available these days can fit in very tight spaces that some film cans wont.

I had been on the lookout for a very small tupperware box for a while and we found some in Tesco, the box was about as big as two film canisters placed side by side. But on testing it by putting some paper inside and running it under the tap, I had to pour water out from inside the box :laughing:

The 3 for £1 seem to work fine, the blue rimmed ones seem the strongest, just make sure you put your log books into a wee bag, did a cache yesterday, poured the water out, but the swaps were in one bag, log book in another and were all perfectly dry, so the zip bags do work.

Asda also do a wee flat box which is handy for slotting in tiny places (not sure of price)

You can buy zip bags on fleabay in various sizes cheaply.

Just remember not to put the pencil inside the bag as its point pierces a hole.