Top Ten by Distance Travelled

Mittellegi

That's how it used to be but since alot of people have taken to using them as personal bugs that they keep in their possesion and just log them in and out of caches to record the mileage that they travel it made it difficult to see when an actual travel bug was doing the traveling or when it was a cacher. This was Jeremy's way to try to make the top ten a more fair representation of travel bugs that were traveling with their own steam and not just attached to a cacher.

Yes,it would be. The Top Ten used to be listed by number of miles traveled,but some people abused the system and put high mileage on certain bugs through unnatural means. So, the list was switched over to number of finders. Now there is a question whether THAT method is being abused, through giving out a bug's code number to people who don't even pick up and move the bug.

What will be next? Top Ten Bugs sorted by cuteness?

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitos?

quote:
Originally posted by The Leprechauns:

...Now there is a question whether THAT method is being abused, through giving out a bug's code number ...

If you are referring to This Thread I must take issue with your remark:

Having been there and having seen said travel bug in person and currently possesing one of the infamous "note log tags" I can tell you that the intent of www.mngeo.com is not for the number to be passed out willy nilly, but rather to simplify the logging of a bug that makes it to a large gathering.

As was pointed out in This Thread since the statistic is Travel bugs "Owned/Found" not "Owned/Moved", and notes posted on a TB count as "Finds" the BEST method of logging a bug that you FIND this was the method chosen to record the activity of the Travel Bug.

If instead everyone had posted a "Found it" and "grabbed it" would you be any happier? Would that have been any less legitimate?

Anyway, back to the main point:

Everybody is going to care about a different statistic. I myself would prefer a top ten based on mileage with all bug that have been found by less than 3 accounts filtered out to remove TB's like Tabitha, but I also think that there may be a few issues that Jeremy is working on that are more important than setting up a way for everybody to pick a preferred statistic...

quote:

...Now there is a question whether THAT method is being abused, through giving out a bug's code number ...

If you are referring to This Thread I must take issue with your remark:

Having been there and having seen said travel bug in person and currently possesing one of the infamous "note log tags" I can tell you that the intent of www.mngeo.com is not for the number to be passed out willy nilly, but rather to simplify the logging of a bug that makes it to a large gathering.

As was pointed out in This Thread since the statistic is Travel bugs "Owned/Found" not "Owned/Moved", and notes posted on a TB count as "Finds" the BEST method of logging a bug that you FIND this was the method chosen to record the activity of the Travel Bug.

If instead everyone had posted a "Found it" and "grabbed it" would you be any happier? Would that have been any less legitimate?

Anyway, back to the main point:

Everybody is going to care about a different statistic. I myself would prefer a top ten based on mileage, with all bugs that have been found by less than 3 accounts filtered out to remove TB's like Tabitha, but I also think that there may be a few issues that Jeremy is working on that are more important than setting up a way for everybody to pick a preferred statistic...

[This message was edited by Team VE on November 18, 2002 at 02:58 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Team VE:

quote:

If you are referring to http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=8080979883&m=4900936735 I must take issue with your remark:

{SNIP}

My "remark" is that "there is a question..." Are you taking issue with the fact that there is a difference of opinion? Notice that I did not offer an opinion one way or the other. I just stated that "there is a question." Sensitive, sensitive.

The Leprechauns:

The reason I jumped on your 'Question' was the fact that said thread has been languishing for a week now with no rebuttal.

It seemed to me that the "Question" had been closed and that it was clear that the CB-GPSR's travel bug www.mngeo.com is a legitimate bug being used legitimately within the bounds of the geocaching system.

I respect your right to place an opinion.

I believe that you should also respect my right disagree with your opinion.

-------------

Welch:

Interesting of you to bring that survey back up again now: Let's check the current stats....

Out of 797 views

35 against

12 for

{Insert Math Here}(by rounding 797 to 700 to compensate for potential duplication)

5% against

2% for

93% don't care enough to vote.

If you really want to bandy statistics, by looking at the ID #'s it looks like there are currently slightly over 85400 user ID's registered with the website. Should we recalcuate with that number?

--------

Now, shall we get back to the topic of THIS thread?

I belive that there is no one statistic that will satisfy everyone.

A nice solution would be if Jeremy & co had the time to make it so you could look at one of a few different statistics, perhaps even with a way to suggest statistics of your own that you'd like to see.

Nice, yes... A Priority? That's why I'm not trying to make an issue of it.

[This message was edited by Team VE on November 18, 2002 at 03:05 PM.]

This is fun!

My only statement thus far is that there is a question as to whether the current top ten list methodology is being abused. This is more in the nature of a fact than an opinion. The positive and negative responses in the other thread, and the poll results, would support a contention that a difference of opinion exists.

You've now attempted in two VERY creative ways to rebut this. First, there's your new "rule" that, for any forum thread that is not responded to for a week or more, this means that the premise is now settled in favor of the practice called into question, and there is no more controversy. That's quite interesting. I'll have to go back and post to every thread where I disagree with any of the prior posts, just to let everyone know that it's still an issue, at least to me.

Second, the use of "statistics" to support your position on the outcome of the poll is truly creative. I'll never need to vote in another poll. I'll just visit the thread to show my thoughts, or simply remain a member to be included in the total count.

By the way, my personal position on the MNGEO travel bug is that I don't care one way or the other. It doesn't affect me. I don't own any travel bugs and, if I did, I don't care whether any of them reach a top ten list. I haven't posted to any of the threads discussing that bug. My opinion is irrelevant to the original question, but I thought it wise to set the record straight, since you've posted twice on the merits of the debate about that bug, assuming (I think) that I felt the bug was inappropriate.

quote:
Originally posted by Team VE:

Interesting of you to bring that survey back up again now: Let's check the current stats....

Out of 797 views

35 against

12 for

{Insert Math Here}(by rounding 797 to 700 to compensate for potential duplication)

5% against 2% for93% don't care enough to vote.

If you really want to bandy statistics, by looking at the ID #'s it looks like there are currently slightly over 85400 user ID's registered with the website. Should we recalcuate with that number?

Thats the same arguement that another supporter of the bug made and i still think its flawed..

quote:

Now, shall we get back to the topic of THIS thread?

Yes, Lets FTR- you were the one who started "us" off topic with who was referring to which thread etc...

VE think whatever you want, your going to think your way, im going to think my way. Since you had the last word you musta *won* icon_rolleyes.gif

bexybear, yes it would be more interesting to have the top distance instead of the most found, but its been tried didnt work too well.

whack.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

[This message was edited by welch on November 18, 2002 at 05:13 PM.]

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

Thats the same arguement that another supporter of the bug made and i still think its flawed..

It's odd that you never mentioned that opionion in the appropriate thread when I made that contention before.

quote:

_Yes, Lets_ FTR- you were the one who started "us" off topic with who was referring to which thread etc...

You may want to check your records there:

I have only dealt with subjects here that have been mentioned here.

I'm waiting for you to return to the appropriate thread if you want to continue your arguments and personal attacks there.

[This message was edited by Team VE on November 18, 2002 at 06:58 PM.]

First off, how many views a thread gets does not equal the amount of unique users that have read it. So, your figures aren't gonna be real accurate if you are trying to account for people who didn't care to vote.

Second, that bug was a lame piece of crap and I hope that nobody else craves attention so much that they do something that incredibly lame again. The majority of the people that voted seem to agree with that as well.

geobanana.gif

The NEW Toe Pages

I agree VIEWS isn't a great measure (see my note on the poll), but in the absence of anything better, it'll have to do.

I'm not saying the bug isn't "lame".

I'm saying it is as legitimate as any other travel bug that people have paid to create.

I disagree with people who style themselves as self appointed "Geo-Cops" who feel that they have the right to decide what is and isn't a legitimate travel bug. Especially "Cops" who aren't paying members of this webiste and who don't own any travel bugs of their own.

Let's apply

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

The bug is legitimate.

The statistics are broke.

If you care that much, ask Jeremy to fix them.

I noticed a post that I missed:

quote:

You've now attempted in two VERY creative ways to rebut this. First, there's your new "rule" that, for any forum thread that is not responded to for a week or more, this means that the premise is now settled in favor of the practice called into question, and there is no more controversy. That's quite interesting. I'll have to go back and post to every thread where I disagree with any of the prior posts, just to let everyone know that it's still an issue, at least to me.

If nobody's arguing about it any more is it a controversy? or is it a dead issue?

If I ignore any more posts in this thread, please feel free to imagine the debate continuing....

Everybody else can feel free to look at the discussion as ended.

quote:

Second, the use of "statistics" to support your position on the outcome of the poll is truly creative. I'll never need to vote in another poll. I'll just visit the thread to show my thoughts, or simply remain a member to be included in the total count.

Statitistics are statistics and they always lie.

A statistic is useless unless you know what it based on.

My favorite has always been the cell phone service that advertised

quote:
"9 out of 10 people* prefer our cell phone service to any other."

* (Of our current customers)

i.e. We've only got a 90% customer satisfaction rating, and we're proud of it

The point was that most people didn't care.

So feel free to keep not voting if what you want to express is the fact that you don't care.

That's a nice post, VE. We can definitely agree that statistics can be manipulated, and that the cell phone commercial is laughable.

I still maintain my position from my original posting, namely, that the Top 10 Travel Bugs should be ranked by cuteness. If you were to put a bug tag on that new baby of yours, sort of use him as a personal travel bug, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat!