"It's out there" - UK competition

I presume it's ok to mention this on here, as it's on the geocaching.com website?

I just stumbled across this this morning by accident:

http://www.geocaching.com/itsoutthere/

you can enter to win a holiday just by doing what we are doing anyway - finding caches :)

Looks like fun

although this review of the competition is less than flattering!

intellectually challenged? humph! :ph34r:

...Looks like fun

intellectually challenged? humph! :ph34r:

Hmmm... "Horrid" is a right little ray of sunshine, isn't he/she?

Just think of how much fun all us "intellectually challenged" folk manage to have with this hobby.

Oh well... Sticks and stones etc etc.

Go find those caches!

:)

MrsB

Not such a great competition. It looks at first as if finding 3 geocaches is the entry requirement, not so

"After you have found three caches, visit your local outdoor store* and try on a pair of Merrell footwear or demo a Garmin GPS to receive a competition code."

So the real purpose is to get you to go into one of their shops. I bet the shop assistants aren't too chuffed either as they'll get people going in and having to try on shoes or do a demo of a GPS when they've got zero interest in purchasing it. Personally I already have some shoes and I'm cock-a-hoop with my iPhone 4 GPS, so visiting a store would be entirely pointless.

The prize would be nice, tho.

FYI

When/If you sign up, the birthdate has to be MM/DD/YY not as the site suggests DD/MM/YY. :D

I changed my birthday round like you suggested and it worked. I am curious if anyone who was born before the 12th of any month if theirs registers either way?

It also doesn't include your past caches, All I have against my name is the cache I found today.

FYI

When/If you sign up, the birthdate has to be MM/DD/YY not as the site suggests DD/MM/YY. :D

I changed my birthday round like you suggested and it worked. I am curious if anyone who was born before the 12th of any month if theirs registers either way?

This seems to have been fixed now - it just rejected mm/dd/yyyy and accepted dd/mm/yyyy.

FYI

This seems to have been fixed now - it just rejected mm/dd/yyyy and accepted dd/mm/yyyy.

DOH, there goes my chance of winning. :)

…and I asked my son’s friend, who works at Go Outdoors, and would therefore be one of the people who should know the competition code to give to people if they get the Garmin demo or try on the shoes, if she knew anything about the competition, and she hadn’t heard anything about it, or a code.

So to be honest, I’m liking the odds of winning this thing, if you actually manage to enter, as it doesn’t look like they are making it easy! :D

…and I asked my son’s friend, who works at Go Outdoors, and would therefore be one of the people who should know the competition code to give to people if they get the Garmin demo or try on the shoes, if she knew anything about the competition, and she hadn’t heard anything about it, or a code.

So to be honest, I’m liking the odds of winning this thing, if you actually manage to enter, as it doesn’t look like they are making it easy! :)

That's the same store I went to yesterday .... nobody knew what I was talking about, but eventually I found the box of leaflets in their store room. The staff member tried his best but in the end I gave him a demonstration of the GPS. B) Got my entry code, although the rest are still hidden away in the store room with all the promotional leaflets and posters - agree it's all helping my odds of winning. :D

I presume it's ok to mention this on here, as it's on the geocaching.com website?

I just stumbled across this this morning by accident:

http://www.geocaching.com/itsoutthere/

you can enter to win a holiday just by doing what we are doing anyway - finding caches :laughing:

Looks like fun

intellectually challenged? humph! :rolleyes:

I must admit I rather gave up on it when the terms and conditions seemed to scroll on forever and were printed in a window the size of a postage stamp.

Anyone found the video you have to watch? I've followed all three links, but can't see anything on the pages... :laughing:

I couldn't find any video to watch or competition code on the websites they provide either :rolleyes:

:o September 5 by SMacB (274 found)

DNF. Have spent longer looking for the codes / video demos online than it took me to find 3 caches.

Perhaps I didn't read the hint correctly

TB GB GUR FUBC YNML

Poor show Garmin / Merell :D

Right, finding the code took 3 clicks from the competition home page....

Click on "Participating Stores" at the top of the page

Click on "Fitness Footwear" second one down in the "Online Stores" list

Click on any Merrell shoe listing and the code is below the shoe info.....

;)

Or you could just go to the retailer and attempt to explain to them what you want...... :)

Right, finding the code took 3 clicks from the competition home page....

Click on "Participating Stores" at the top of the page

Click on "Fitness Footwear" second one down in the "Online Stores" list

Click on any Merrell shoe listing and the code is below the shoe info.....

Or you could just go to the retailer and attempt to explain to them what you want...... :)

:) that wasn't there yesterday afternoon

ta muchly though

Anyone found the video you have to watch? I've followed all three links, but can't see anything on the pages... :)

I couldn't find any video to watch or competition code on the websites they provide either :)

:) September 5 by SMacB (274 found)

DNF. Have spent longer looking for the codes / video demos online than it took me to find 3 caches.

Perhaps I didn't read the hint correctly

TB GB GUR FUBC YNML

Poor show Garmin / Merell :)

It appears that codes are not unique - I've used one a friend got from a shop - I did try to find one on line honest!!

On Tuesday I went to Blacks in Solihul and they the manager knew about the promotion because they had been copied on an email but they weren't a participating store so couldn't help

So, having checked the list of participating stores I went to Cotswold yesterday and they knew nothing about it <_<

I returned today with a printout and the manager phoned Garmin and after being put through to three different departments, was told they knew nothing about it. He then phoned someone at his head office (I suggested this first) and spoke to someone who had at least heard of it but said it hadn't started yet and the code cards hadn't been issued yet :P

Mark

On Tuesday I went to Blacks in Solihul and they the manager knew about the promotion because they had been copied on an email but they weren't a participating store so couldn't help

So, having checked the list of participating stores I went to Cotswold yesterday and they knew nothing about it <_<

I returned today with a printout and the manager phoned Garmin and after being put through to three different departments, was told they knew nothing about it. He then phoned someone at his head office (I suggested this first) and spoke to someone who had at least heard of it but said it hadn't started yet and the code cards hadn't been issued yet :P

Mark

We've managed to enter a few days ago, but all in all it does seem to be an incredibly amaturish and poorly planned launch of a competition by such a world leading and high profile company.

At the start of the weekend I emailed Amazon and Fitness Footwear as they are the two participating online stores, and also Garmin and Merrell as those who are participating.

I have had several replies from Amazon saying they are looking into it and, laterl, that they are still looking into it. I have not yet had a response from any of the others.

Further to the post from Step 7, the Fitness Footwear site now shows codes.

I checked the first Amazon link (going to the Garmin product) and this now has a video showing the code, but the link for the Merrell foorwear does not.

Good luck to all who enter, and let's hope whoever wins the break does not turn up to find nothing has been booked for them <_<

We will all be waiting quite some time as this is the message I got from the web page

You have successfully registered for this competition, logged three geocaches and submitted a competition code! You are now entered into the prize drawing to be held November 3rd, 2011.

WOW 2011 I don't think I'll hold my breath, wonder how many times the companies will pester me between now & then!!

Happy caching people...

We will all be waiting quite some time as this is the message I got from the web page

You have successfully registered for this competition, logged three geocaches and submitted a competition code! You are now entered into the prize drawing to be held November 3rd, 2011.

As per post #25 in this thread :)

Not sure I'll bother cos luckily I've already won a 'holiday' in the Lakes! :huh:

Ah, but having someone ELSE doing the cooking & cleaning is always a plus. Then again, do I REALLY want to have to stay in Ambleside with all those *&^$£) tourists for more than a few minutes? :rolleyes:

Good job I don't work for the tourist board, init? :laughing: