premium membership and exactly how does my gps get to know where they are?

zimmm

Hi,

So I would like to become a PM, mostly for the paper less caching. how exactly does my gps get the info. by me letting you know what area i'll be in. For example I am heading to colorado for 1 week and will be in several different areas. How big of an area can I have sent to my gps. A whole states worth of caches or just a certain area? I can see how to send one caches info. to my gps but nothing but "just tell us the area I'll be in" statement. How big of an area for example can I ask for?

thanks in advance.

If you become a Premium Member, you can create pocket queries (PQ). Say you are going to a certain area in Colorado. You can select a zip code, enter in exact coordinates, or pick a geocache (GC####) and get 1000 caches centered on that location. You can create several PQ's to get a larger area if you need. You then download the PQ as a gpx file, which can then be put on your GPS. A lot of the new GPS units allow multiple gpx files and around 5000 caches to be loaded at once (may be more or less for some units).

The "how big an area" question you asked depends on how many caches are in an area. You can get the closest 1000 caches to a point, which may be a couple hundred miles in remote areas, or a lot less in heavily cache populated areas.

Hope this helps some.

If you become a Premium Member, you can create pocket queries (PQ). Say you are going to a certain area in Colorado. You can select a zip code, enter in exact coordinates, or pick a geocache (GC####) and get 1000 caches centered on that location. You can create several PQ's to get a larger area if you need. You then download the PQ as a gpx file, which can then be put on your GPS. A lot of the new GPS units allow multiple gpx files and around 5000 caches to be loaded at once (may be more or less for some units).

The "how big an area" question you asked depends on how many caches are in an area. You can get the closest 1000 caches to a point, which may be a couple hundred miles in remote areas, or a lot less in heavily cache populated areas.

Hope this helps some.

So I know some of the areas i'll be in and your making it sound like if i pick one GC### on a route i'll be on that it'll will load many more around that area. That is perfect for me.

Question; if i pay for the $10 for 3 months, and only want it for those 3 months, can i easily only have that one payment come out and after the 3 months i just default back to a normal membership. I only have a summer window when i get to travel so any other membership at this time wont work.

thanks again.

Here is a Groundspeak site that tells a lot more about what you can do with pockey queries http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?...apter&id=28

I'm not completely sure about the membership thing. I believe that you can pay for 3 months, and if you do not renew it you just go back to your normal membership after it expires. I'm not completely sure though since I've never done that.

Hope you have a fun time in Colorado [:D]

Here is a Groundspeak site that tells a lot more about what you can do with pockey queries http://support.Groundspeak.com//index.php?...apter&id=28

I'm not completely sure about the membership thing. I believe that you can pay for 3 months, and if you do not renew it you just go back to your normal membership after it expires. I'm not completely sure though since I've never done that.

Trying to figure out the directions about having the PQ emailed to me? I would need the PQ sent directly to my gps. I leave on my trip in 2 days. If I do this can I just click somewhere to have all the PQs I create for along my known route and have them auto down load into my GPS and saved for later use when it that area? it would be nice to just drive into a planned campground and have them on my unit for use.

Sorry for the questions but the info. always speaks of getting these PQs emailed to ya and I just want to make them and have them sent to my GPS for use next week.

Trying to figure out the directions about having the PQ emailed to me? I would need the PQ sent directly to my gps. I leave on my trip in 2 days. If I do this can I just click somewhere to have all the PQs I create for along my known route and have them auto down load into my GPS and saved for later use when it that area? it would be nice to just drive into a planned campground and have them on my unit for use.

Sorry for the questions but the info. always speaks of getting these PQs emailed to ya and I just want to make them and have them sent to my GPS for use next week.

You're not gonna get it sent to your GPS. You can either download PQ data or, if it is under 500 caches, have it emailed to you. THen you have to load it on your GPS and how you do that depends on what kind of GPS you have and what software you have to get it there, if it is even needed. You'll need to post more info before anyone can hep you with specific how-to info. Tell us...

What kind of computer you have (Mac or PC)

What kind of GPS you have

From there, I'm sure someone here that has the same or similar setup can help you.