I have now passed 20 Virts.

escomag

If you really want to rack up the virtual count, try a day at the Mall in Washington DC. One that I found there was the only virtual that I picked up SWAG from. Quill and I got two today in Klamath Falls, OR to get our count up to 26 in 5 years of geocaching.

Make sure that you click on the link "nearest caches of this type" near the bottom of a virtual cache page so that you don't miss any.

If you really want to rack up the virtual count, try a day at the Mall in Washington DC. One that I found there was the only virtual that I picked up SWAG from. Quill and I got two today in Klamath Falls, OR to get our count up to 26 in 5 years of geocaching.

Make sure that you click on the link "nearest caches of this type" near the bottom of a virtual cache page so that you don't miss any.

I would love to spend a day virtual caching on the mall. Much as I would wish to grab the ones in Yellowstone and Yosemite.

Funny thing is, I plan on doing a virtual run in two weeks in Klammath Falls. I am shooting toward 7, with maybe another 6 on the way from San Diego

That's good advice. I have been relying on just looking at maps, and the basic filters.

You can also do Pocket Queries to find just the virtuals in an area of interest.

Edit: to fix quotes.

Edited by hydnsek

I am at 196 virtual caches. I suppose I should find four more.

The most memorable of those 196 would be Warthog Down, in northwest Arizona. It's one of eight virts on my favorite caches bookmark list (linked below), along with my fave on the Washington Mall, the one at the World War II Memorial. I walked to 20+ virtuals in a half day visit to the Mall. That was fun!

Wow. I'm at 11. Didn't think I had that many.

With virtuals being a scarce resource like land (it's the one thing they aren't making any more of), I'll go out of my way to snag one if I'm within 10 miles or so on a trip. Ironically, there's one that I pass a half a dozen times a year and have yet to snag, despite it being less than 100 feet from my route. I really need to work on convincing my wife to stop for 30 seconds one of these days.

I have found just over 110 virtuals and seek them out when on trips and road cruises. I've found every active virtual cache within the state of Minnesota, and several more that have been archived over the years. I am now in the process of slowly finding all virtuals within Wisconsin. I'd estimate that I have about a quarter of them.

Edited by bflentje

I am sitting at only 524 virtuals. I guess that is not bad for someone that hasn't found a single cache in almost 5 years. Congrats on finding the 20... there are still plenty out there to find.

Wow,

That's impressive! Thank you for the praise on the 20. Kind of like Edison complementing an associate on making fire.

The most memorable of those 196 would be Warthog Down, in northwest Arizona. It's one of eight virts on my favorite caches bookmark list (linked below), along with my fave on the Washington Mall, the one at the World War II Memorial. I walked to 20+ virtuals in a half day visit to the Mall. That was fun!

273 found for me. 38 have been archived. Trying to cross the 300 barrier.

I was with Lep at Warthog Down and it is also still tops with me. Though the WWII Memorial is a great one, it is number 6 on my list (linked down in my signature line). We just visited DC over the past weekend and we still went to these memorials again. Delicate Arch in Utah's Arches National Park and my day at White Sands National Park in New Mexico are still just awesome memories.

Self portrait...

79d15ddb-c033-4246-8cd7-e4a87654890f.jpg

Tina shot...

cf52faf0-7482-4786-ac1d-2d703c3daa95.jpg

Whenever I travel to an area outside my normal caching grounds, I always look first to see if there are any virtuals and earthcaches around. Part of the "thrill" of the virtuals is, of course, is that no new ones are allowed and existing ones might be archived at any moment if the owner drops out of the game or Groundspeak decides that there have been too many arm chair logs. Assuming that Groundspeak does not change their policy, the last remaining virtual could become quite a mecca.

The other part is that they take me to interesting places -- some of the most amazing experiences I have had while caching has been virtuals -- are often the only form of caching allowed in places we visit, and generally I can convince my noncaching family to do them with me. The virtual at Toroweap, a 3000 foot overlook into the Grand Canyon, sixty miles from anywhere, will always be remembered.

I was disappointed that one virtual in Peru was archived shortly before we made the trip, but "glad" that I got a virtual in Bryce Canyon a week before it disappeared. So last night I was planning a business trip and counting the number of virtuals I might be able to squeeze in on the way back home. I am thinking around 10 for that particular trip.

Edited by mulvaney

Had to check, I've found 121 with 14 being archived. I don't look for them specifically but do enjoy a good virtual. Funny story - if you notice I've found several in Yellowstone NP, but not Old Faithful. Why? We were enjoying our time so much we forgot to get the answer to the question. Done that several times. Been to lots of virtual sites and know the answers, but was there prior to geocaching, hope to return some day to claim the find.

Admit it - everyone that saw this post went and checked their own stats.... I did also. 85 found and only 6 of them have been archived. That over 5 years of caching. Yep, did the DC Mall in May of '09. One of my favorite ones was the one at Grand Canyon, 10 feet from the edge. I don't have much of an acrophobia problem but the other half does. Needless to say, I did that one solo.

And I only have 21 left within my home area - 30 mile radius. Will have to start focusing more on those.

Personally, I would like virtuals to come back but that's another story (thread).

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

273 found for me. 38 have been archived. Trying to cross the 300 barrier.

I was with Lep at Warthog Down and it is also still tops with me. Though the WWII Memorial is a great one, it is number 6 on my list (linked down in my signature line). We just visited DC over the past weekend and we still went to these memorials again. Delicate Arch in Utah's Arches National Park and my day at White Sands National Park in New Mexico are still just awesome memories.

Self portrait...

79d15ddb-c033-4246-8cd7-e4a87654890f.jpg

Tina shot...

cf52faf0-7482-4786-ac1d-2d703c3daa95.jpg

I have been to delicate arch. I would love to have a reason to return. My highest priority virtuals, which I don't see doing soon, are the ones in Yellowstone, particularly GCH9N4, GCGBXG, and GCGBXE

Caches on the mall might be going soon also. I picked one at random, and the CO has not been online since November 09. One of his other virtuals was recently archived by a reviewer for lack of maintenance. All of his are endangered.

Caches on the mall might be going soon also. I picked one at random, and the CO has not been online since November 09. One of his other virtuals was recently archived by a reviewer for lack of maintenance. All of his are endangered.

I hope they make it at least another six weeks, it would be great to get to the 500 mark there.

Edited by mulvaney

Had to check, I've found 121 with 14 being archived. I don't look for them specifically but do enjoy a good virtual. Funny story - if you notice I've found several in Yellowstone NP, but not Old Faithful. Why? We were enjoying our time so much we forgot to get the answer to the question. Done that several times. Been to lots of virtual sites and know the answers, but was there prior to geocaching, hope to return some day to claim the find.

I had great plans to do the yellowstone virtuals and earth caches but after we got there we were having too much and the actual act of caching didn't add to the experience much. I know we passed by a lot of them though.

We did ten on the mall. We enjoyed three of them. Most of the others were a waste of time (but did come with a smiley...) That seemed a very high ration, considering that we enjoy most of the virtuals that we find. Hmm... We DNFed the one blocked off by construction for six months. That didn't seem to stop most cachers... Oh, well.

I don't believe I have ever passed a virtual. I don't see why you would pass even one, much less 20 of them! :D

I pass on any virtual with logging requirements that require me to in a picture at the site (also pass on earth caches with the same requirement).

The ones we skipped we glanced through but due to how we arranged our trip with the intent to incorporate caching it became clear after attempting about 2 that we weren't going to get to see what we wanted to see over all if we kept that pace. Also, tourists were thick which made getting to some of the informational stuff impossible.

I'll also pass on virtuals that just don't appear from the onset to be that interesting to me.

The questions for logging requirements interest me but not me being a photograph at the site. I'll gladly take a picture at the site of an object or what not but don't feel it necessary to have a picture of me there posted on this website. So I skip those ones.
That requirement has been abolished. It went by the wayside with the ALR ban. Virt away.
The questions for logging requirements interest me but not me being a photograph at the site. I'll gladly take a picture at the site of an object or what not but don't feel it necessary to have a picture of me there posted on this website. So I skip those ones.
That requirement has been abolished. It went by the wayside with the ALR ban. Virt away.

I know technically it has been abolished with the ALR ban. However, I keep stumbling on those that don't have it noted as an optional logging requirement. I don't typically look into when the last time the cache owner logged into the site was so instead of having the ALR argument via e-mail with someone I just avoid them altogether. I've seen how touchy people get it on the forums here.

Not that the OP asked or anything, but a mere 26 here in over 7 years of caching. So they're doing pretty good. :D When I did the Empire State building a few weeks ago, it was my first one in almost 2 years. I didn't check to see where the OP was from, but if they are "into" virts that much, I would think a trip to Gettysburg and DC is in order.

I haven't logged all my caches, but I think I've found at least 120 virtuals. I also own 4, but manage my families virts so the number is actually 10. I've been caching for almost 8 1/2 years.

I don't go out of my way to find virts. I'm pretty nuetral about cache types, I pretty much find whatever is nearby and looks interesting.

And since it was brought up, I've found most of the virts in D.C. on the Mall, about 20, in two separate visits.

Edited by Ambrosia

Not that the OP asked or anything, but a mere 26 here in over 7 years of caching. So they're doing pretty good. B) When I did the Empire State building a few weeks ago, it was my first one in almost 2 years. I didn't check to see where the OP was from, but if they are "into" virts that much, I would think a trip to Gettysburg and DC is in order.

I am from Escondido. I try to cache when I am going someplace else.

For example, I was able to grab 3 virtuals and a couple of regulars on a Flyball Tournament in Santa Barbara a few weeks ago. While virts are around, they often are just alone by themselves in a sea of green on the map. Places like Gettysburg and Washington, obviously have higher concentrations. Before trips there, I also need to grab the Yosemite and Yellowstone ones. I can more easily grab Yosemite, and Yellowstone only got a two day look a few years ago, and I need to return for more time

I view virts as a diminishing commodity. The longer I play the game, the fewer of them will be around.

Of course, I enjoy regular caching also, except I am starting to be tired of LPC's

Ultimately, I just would encourage cachers to grab these finds when they can. In many ways, they are what I like best about the game. Using my GPS to take me to some neat place that I might never have otherwise visited. Not all regular caches do this.