Some one please help!

rickycarden

I'm happy to say the problem has been resolved. They exchanged the download version for the DVD version of the maps.... :):ph34r:

So I've been geocaching for a little over a week. I got on the site and searched for a gps. I ended up ordering the Garmin Dakota 10 from this site. Well I had seen where people had posted that the base map wasn't much help but I wasn't discouraged. Well I received my GPS today and used it to find a few caches but I can see how the getting a map upgrade would really help in the hunting.

Well I went to the Garmin Website and purchased the TOPO U.S. 100K only to find afterward that it's not compatible with my the Dakota 10. So now I'm out $90 I'm guessing unless Garmin will exchange for a map that I can use with my device.

I searched maps that would work with my device and I found the TOPO U.S. 100K map from the page where my device was located. I searched the TOPO U.S. 100K map page and searched compatible devices and found my device there. So what's the problem.

Since it doesn't look like the TOPO U.S. 100k map is going to work is there anyone that can tell me what map I should get that will work and help me out with geocaching.

any advice is truly appreciated

Thanks

-Ricky :D:D:)

Edited by rickycarden

If the Garmin website lists your GPS unit as being compatible with the maps, what is it that is making you think that they are not compatible?

The file size for the map is larger than my gps can handle.

Device not supported

This device doesn't support TOPO U.S. 100K (3126MB).

Please connect a different device and try again.

Dakota 10 - S/N 1PK024113 (912 MB available) Insufficient SpaceDevice not supported

I don't understand why it would let me purchase the map under maps for the Dakota 10

If the Garmin website lists your GPS unit as being compatible with the maps, what is it that is making you think that they are not compatible?

QUOTE(Motorcycle_Mama @ Sep 1 2010, 02:14 PM) *

Device not supported

Dakota 10 - S/N 1PK024113 (912 MB available) Insufficient SpaceDevice not supported

I don't understand why it would let me purchase the map under maps for the Dakota 10

The maps are compatible, it sounds like an issue working out how to get it all working :)

What was the error or issue that appeared on the computer or GPSr?

mm

QUOTE(Motorcycle_Mama @ Sep 1 2010, 02:14 PM) *

Device not supported

Device not supported

I don't have the Topo 100K maps, but it appears you don't have enough memory to install ALL of them. The map set you were trying to load is 3216 MB, but you only have 912 MB available. Will the 100K maps let you install a portion of the maps, i.e can you select a region?

Larger card will not help since Dakota 10 does not have an external memory slot. The Topo US maps should work but you will have to load it thru MapSource in a smaller file that will fit in your available internal memory. It might work if you can install MapSource first. Is there an advanced option to install the Topo to your computer?

There are many free maps for Garmin’s available on line.

You have to pick the DVD version to use with that GPS, the download and microSd card aren't going to satisfy the Dakota 10 as per the download page:

Download Requirements

File Information

The file size of this download and space required on device or microSD™/SD™ card is 3.05 GB. If this download does not fit on your device, data may be saved on a microSD/SD card.

Device not supported

I don't have the Topo 100K maps, but it appears you don't have enough memory to install ALL of them. The map set you were trying to load is 3216 MB, but you only have 912 MB available. Will the 100K maps let you install a portion of the maps, i.e can you select a region?

it won't let me download by region. I'm either going to have to get the CD version and download regions as I need them if it will let me or get different maps.

Larger card will not help since Dakota 10 does not have an external memory slot. The Topo US maps should work but you will have to load it thru MapSource in a smaller file that will fit in your available internal memory. It might work if you can install MapSource first. Is there an advanced option to install the Topo to your computer?

There are many free maps for Garmin’s available on line.

Cacheoholic I'm interested in this MapSource you're talking about. Can you give me more information on it.There is not a advance option to install it.