EarthCache Masters - Platinum Level

geoaware

Due to the rapidly increasing cost of postage, we have had to make the tough decision to stop sending out physical pins for EarthCache Masters Platinum Level. The announcement was made on the EarthCache Masters web page last week and the last pins were mailed yesterday. People will continue to be rewarded with the icon that they can add to their profile pages and caches.

Over the course of this program we have sent out over 10,000 pins to people around the globe. This has been an investment of over US$30,000 in pins, postage and packaging and many many hours in volunteers time.

I would like to thank Jen, Fiona, Jemma, Anny, Maureen, Jen N, Chris and others who have helped out over the last few years.

The goal of the program was and still is to encourage people to learn about the Earth science of the plant by visiting and developing Earthcaches. Thank you for your continued support.

Gary

Well I didn't make it in time for the Platinum pin :) . I see the Bronze, Silver, and Gold pins are still for sale in the Earthcache store.

Geoaware, is the Platinum pin going to be added for sale or are they not being produced anymore? I would still be interested in paying for one if they do become for sale.

PaneledZero

Silver EarthCache Master :D

Well I didn't make it in time for the Platinum pin :) . I see the Bronze, Silver, and Gold pins are still for sale in the Earthcache store.

Geoaware, is the Platinum pin going to be added for sale or are they not being produced anymore? I would still be interested in paying for one if they do become for sale.

PaneledZero

Silver EarthCache Master :D

Yes, I would gladly purchase one. I am only one cache development and one State short. Thank you Geoware and all the people at GSA for what they have done for geocaching. I think that I know what you mean by end of an era, I saw it coming. It just got here sooner than I thought. Take care Gary, and thanks again for all you have done for us that enjoy geocaching.

.................~MPH:)> :D Gold EarthCache Master

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

I didn't even know that they sent out pins in the first place. I have never gotten a pin. :D Maybe I don't quite understand the process, weren't they always for sale? Or are they not going to be for sale at all now? I was planning on buying the set once I reach platinum level. I only need to develop one more cache to get there. Unfortunately, (or fortunately, depending on how you look at it) there are lots of EC'ers in my area so I think we are fairly tapped out. I am still trying to find a good spot for my third.

Well, anyway, thanks everyone involved for putting in the time and money. I think the EC program is great, with or without pins! B)

Edited by beccaday

Sad news, there is not many EarthCaches near my living place (except these I own) so I could'n collect 20 finds in proper time. There is one EarthCache placed by me more than month ago with easy access (like park-and-grab) and still no finds. Free pins it was good idea to attract people to EarthCaching. Unfortunately EarthCaching is not so popular in my country, but in last 2 months number of Earthcaches in Poland increased twice, so I hope this game will be more popular in future.

Thanks for pins anyway, even they were just sneaked before I've get them B)

I just started caching last year and only recently started to pursue earthcaches. I have one of my one and am waiting for another to be published. I set Platinum status as a goal for myself and would appreciate the ability to buy one when I qualify. Please think about keeping some quantities available.

This growth in the popularity of Earthcaches is what will propel the sport for years, that special 'carrot' can be a modest reward for anyone that enjoys it (free or not)!

I'll go against the current here and post my lack of enthusiasm for the entire awards program. In my opinion, while the awards program did increase the number of Earthcache submissions, it did so at the expense of quality. Many individuals were motivated to submit ECs who had little or no interest in earth sciences and would not have done so otherwise.

I'll go against the current here and post my lack of enthusiasm for the entire awards program. In my opinion, while the awards program did increase the number of Earthcache submissions, it did so at the expense of quality. Many individuals were motivated to submit ECs who had little or no interest in earth sciences and would not have done so otherwise.

The Earthcache submission guidelines are supposed to ensure a high level of quality. I'd argue that it isn't the fault of the awards program that quality has decayed...

Many individuals were motivated to submit ECs who had little or no interest in earth sciences and would not have done so otherwise.

I attribute more of this type of thing to people wanting the icon in their profiles rather than the awards. To get to platinum earthcache status a person has to be fairly dedicated, visiting earthcaches in different states or countries, doing enough of them so you gain some experience with earthcaches.

Many individuals were motivated to submit ECs who had little or no interest in earth sciences and would not have done so otherwise.

Like me, I had two plans but just scrapped the idea after reading this. I did them originally for the pins, but after spending a couple of hours researching I had so much fun making them.

Now I won't bother. :):):D:):D:D:D

Please don't pay any attention to the referenced comment, but we also don't understand your comment either! If you had fun, why not proceed? :)

Like me, I had two plans but just scrapped the idea after reading this. I did them originally for the pins, but after spending a couple of hours researching I had so much fun making them.

Now I won't bother. :rolleyes:;):):wub::D:D:D

Please don't pay any attention to the referenced comment, but we also don't understand your comment either! If you had fun, why not proceed? :laughing:

I over exagerated, actually I spent 20 mins researching and got bored to tears. I vowed not to ever make any until I get enough geocaches found for platinum. Then I would do bare minimum. Sorry for the confusion, I was just upset that all this work I've been doing towards platinum means nothing so I WAAY Over exaggerated the situation.

Edited by Coldgears

I attribute more of this type of thing to people wanting the icon in their profiles rather than the awards. To get to platinum earthcache status a person has to be fairly dedicated, visiting earthcaches in different states or countries, doing enough of them so you gain some experience with earthcaches.

But you'd get the icon whether the pin was free or not. There are folk here who appear to be moaning about the amount of work they had to do and now they are not getting their free pin.

I cannot comprehend what would motivate someone to build a series of caches to gain an award and then moan because they might have to stump up $2.50

I over exagerated, actually I spent 20 mins researching and got bored to tears. I vowed not to ever make any until I get enough geocaches found for platinum. Then I would do bare minimum. Sorry for the confusion, I was just upset that all this work I've been doing towards platinum means nothing so I WAAY Over exaggerated the situation.

If the Earthcache review system is working as it should, the "bare minimum" should be a good quality Earthcache.