Apple cores, banana & orange peels

~Rah

Do you consider these items littering? As a gardener, I know that these items compost well and might even benefit the natural growth in the area. What are everyone else's thoughts?

*note: I did do a search and was not able to find a previous post on this topic

Thrown down individually in the bush, it's bear/raccoon food or compost!

Thrown down by the bucket on the side of a road right where I want to cross the ditch to get to a cache trail, well, then it's litter!

Yes, I saw the latter the other week...a nice quiet side road with a stage of a multi. A ditch with a few inches of running water between me and the cache. The most direct route had a full shopping bag size of vegetable and fruit 'litter' en masse. I had to walk down the road away to find another spot to cross the ditch.

Do you consider these items littering? As a gardener, I know that these items compost well and might even benefit the natural growth in the area. What are everyone else's thoughts?

These items do attract differant types of wild animals, and alters their natural instincts, so therefore yes, it is litter.

Another question you could ask yourself would be-- Is it natural to the enviroment around you? Do you see an orange tree in the area?

I am a leader in a local boy scout troop, and when we go hiking we never allow anyone to through fruit waste into the woods.

I don't consider fruit peels to be litter, since they compost so fast. I usually keep mine though to put in my compost. Pick a corner of your yard and put a box there and just throw them all in there and you will have some nice compost in a couple weeks. I don't think they alter the behavior or digestive track of animals in a negative way, unless you consider any alteration negative. Compost does need to be in a special place (box or pile) to compost quickly. If everyone threw their compost down on the ground,, the world would be a mess. But if you are in the woods and toss a fruit peel, it is going to compost very quickly (or be eaten).

Definitely littering on all accounts. These kinds of trash while being biodegradable violate Leave No Trace principals on several levels.

1.Dispose of waste properly Pack out all trash, leftover food, and litter. Pretty clear don't you think?

2.Leave what you find. Avoid introducing or transporting non-native species. Unless you are caching in an apple orchard or orange grove...

3.Respect wildlife. Never feed animals. Feeding wildlife damages their health, alters natural behaviors, and exposes them to predators and other dangers. These kinds of waste are not natural to the animals in most environments and can cause health problems and encourage their dependence on humans.

4.Be considerate of other visitors. Respect other visitors and protect the quality of their experience. Do you like to see all of that laying around on your trails?

Yes they compost but is the forest you personal compost heap? Personally I pick it up and pack it out as part of CITO and LNT ethics.