Is Groundspeak overemphasizing the numbers?

beejay&esskay

"We want to see how many geocachers can go geocaching on a single day! We've chosen 10-10-10, since the date represents 10 years of geocaching and 10 years of Groundspeak in 2010. Bring your friends, bring your family, bring your worst enemy (if that's what it takes) and let's see if we can beat the previous record of 56,654 accounts logging on April 18, 2010. Even one log counts since we are counting how many accounts log a cache rather than the number of caches logged." - newsletter

Something struck me as funny about this considering the plan to hide count information when looking at logs and the angst about power trails.

I think I'll do a power trail on 10/10 and not log it as found until the next day.

I think I'll do a power trail on 10/10 and not log it as found until the next day.

Oooo, way to stick it to the man. :)

This whole thing doesn't bother me a bit, or make me think GS is overemphasizing numbers. I would like to point out though, you do see little tidbits in those newletters that have never been publicly commented on in these forums or Get Satisfaction. The most recent one that shocked me :) Was imploring n00bs to "consider having several finds under your belt before you decide to hide one".

Apparently I didn't log any caches on Sunday April 18, 2010. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say the website was very sluggish that day. That being said, perhaps I will join the "stick it to the man, man" protest. :D

Edited by Mr.Yuck
"Even one log counts since we are counting how many accounts log a cache rather than the number of caches logged."

so no, your idea to do a powertrail will not fall into this :)

The powertrail is just a part of the protest. The rest is to not log any caches found that day as being found that day.

Protesting what exactly?

Protesting what exactly?

Groundspeak's over-emphasis on their numbers. They just want a big numbers run on 10/10. Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

Personally I don't see them playing the numbers game, they want a lot of participation - there is a difference here. A numbers run in my mind being a single person going for a whole lot of caches in a single trip.

The first could be accomplished by getting 100 people to do a long power trail.

The second requires 56,654 +1 different people to find one cache each.

I don't see what the issue here is.

Groundspeak's over-emphasis on their numbers. They just want a big numbers run on 10/10. Isn't that a bit hypocritical?

if GS didn't care about the numbers, they'd never have removed the "no powertrails" rule. but they did and not after too long they were celebrating the 1 millionth cache. so what makes you think they don't care about the numbers?

It would seem that they care about growing the sport, not about increasing a single Cachers numbers. They want their game, and business to grow. Its a simple business model, increase your customer base to increase profits. they are probably looking to increase the 20% dollar amount that they get from new Cachers.

It would seem that they care about growing the sport, not about increasing a single Cachers numbers. They want their game, and business to grow. Its a simple business model, increase your customer base to increase profits. they are probably looking to increase the 20% dollar amount that they get from new Cachers.

It's also about marketing and selling ad space.

"We want to see how many geocachers can go geocaching on a single day! We've chosen 10-10-10, since the date represents 10 years of geocaching and 10 years of Groundspeak in 2010. Bring your friends, bring your family, bring your worst enemy (if that's what it takes) and let's see if we can beat the previous record of 56,654 accounts logging on April 18, 2010. Even one log counts since we are counting how many accounts log a cache rather than the number of caches logged." - newsletter

Something struck me as funny about this considering the plan to hide count information when looking at logs and the angst about power trails.

Can you elaborate? What plan?

Edited by Don_J

http://feedback.geocaching.com/geocaching/...umber_from_logs

It's just one of the things that is "under consideration" over at GetSat.

It's just one of the things that is "under consideration" over at GetSat.

I can live with this.

Jeremy, Official Rep, replied 2 months ago

Like how you can hover over the user's avatar here to see more info about the user, we're considering the idea where you can hover over a geocacher and see their basic stats. This doesn't eliminate the find and hide count entirely but the change will make it less prominent.

Protesting what exactly?

Geocaching.com website actually took the numbers off of people's cache pages a number of years ago to de-emphasize the counts. They wanted it to be about the experience, not about the numbers.

It was only when there was a big public up-roar that they put them back on. People are competitive.

I was actually thinking that they wanted to get an idea of exactly how many cachers there really are out there.

The main geocaching.com web pages says, "there are an estimated 4-5 million geocachers out there.

Wow. that is quite a spread!!!

So I figured they are doing this to get a closer estimate.