Oregon 450 basics

rocks911

A complete newbie here, zero experience. Just purchased an Oregon 450. The "manual" that came with the device is really a joke, I actually wondered if it was packaged incorrectly, basic instructions only. I also found an online manual at garmin that was alittle more thorough but still way lacking.

Can someone point me toward a comprehensive manual/tutorial where I can learn how to use this thing?

By the way I did surf the site before asking but didnt find what I needed.

Thanks in advance

A complete newbie here, zero experience. Just purchased an Oregon 450. The "manual" that came with the device is really a joke, I actually wondered if it was packaged incorrectly, basic instructions only. I also found an online manual at garmin that was alittle more thorough but still way lacking.

Can someone point me toward a comprehensive manual/tutorial where I can learn how to use this thing?

By the way I did surf the site before asking but didnt find what I needed.

Thanks in advance

best Info is here

http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

yeah the "manual" is indeed a joke. your best bet is probably here: http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/

the basemap is pretty much a joke too. any additional maps must be .img files and they must reside in the \Garmin\ directory, either on the unit itself or on the SD card.

as for your location: maybe it never got a good GPS fix and so doesn't know where it is. let it sit outside for 10-15 minutes and it should get its first fix. after that it will get a fix within seconds after being turned on.

Moving right along in my learning curve, not sure how much more I can take. This better be a fun thing to do because I have a lot already invested and havent left my house.

Anyways I requested some pocket queries and hopefully they will be in by tomorrow but for now I'd like to download some to try. I went to the "seek a cache" page and stipulated 10 mile radius from my home. That resulted in 1686 total records. Check all then download. GSAK opens the files and there are 20 waypoints. What happened to the 1686 records?

How to get this information from the GSAK to my connected Oregon 450?

new PQs usually run within a few minutes only. if they don't, make sure you have the checkbox for "today" set, because otherwise they'll never run.

you can't download 1600+ caches at once from the web site. the "check all" button you see on the page with the search results only checks the ones you see there, i think 20 at most. so you'll get only those downloaded. PQs are the only way to get more really.

just get the PQ and use that. there's no need to go through GSAK, just unzip the file and put the two GPX files into the \Garmin\GPX\ directoy.

the actual manual for the 450 is stored in the device itself!

you just get a fast start manual in paper form.

connect the Garmin to your computer via USB, open the Folder (like you'd open the folder of a USB-stick) and look for:

documents / START_HERE.HTML -- then select your language and choose "owner's manual".

then you can download the PDF file with the complete manual to your PC or Mac. (at least that was how it worked with my 450T.)

---------------

but I've got another question:

how can I delete all the found geo-caches from my Garmin 450T?

they start littering my map and I'd like to get rid of them.

Edited by border_collie

you delete the caches by deleting the respective GPX files, or updating/overwriting them with files not containing those caches.

thank you, I didn't know that I had to do this with my Mac instead of directly on the Oregon.

in the meantime, there's a new Software for the Oregon (3.90) which solves this problem with a filter!

I updated yesterday and everything went smoothly.