must do caches in Toronto

chizu

We're in Toronto for 3-4 days Mid September then heading down to Niagara Falls for a day - are there any must-do caches in the area - we won't have a car so anything downtown/easily accessible by public transport would be good!!

Thanks in advance

Chizu

There are over 3,000 active geocaches within the bounds of the Greater Toronto Area. You should probably let us know what your preferences are - a "must do" cache for one cacher is on another cacher's ignore list.

What sort of caching do you prefer?

My "must do" caches in Toronto are the ones on the Toronto Islands.

That's true, I guess we're open to all suggestions - the ones on the islands are certainly ones we'd eyed up already.

I guess relatively simple caches that take you to interesting areas of he city that tourists might not otherwise go to. In addition, a couple of good puzzles for the 7 hour flight there would also be good!!!

That's true, I guess we're open to all suggestions - the ones on the islands are certainly ones we'd eyed up already.

I guess relatively simple caches that take you to interesting areas of he city that tourists might not otherwise go to. In addition, a couple of good puzzles for the 7 hour flight there would also be good!!!

Right off the bat, I'm thinking of the Distillery Sculpture Garden cache

My wife and I were just in TO for a long weekend in August. Feel free to look at my finds if you wish.

There are 7 caches on the Islands. Take the subway to Union Station and then the street car (509 or 510) to the Ferry Docks. A ferry will take you across and back for $6 (or something like that). If you are there on a weekend, you can get a TTC day pass good for the whole day for 2 adults and 2 kids for $10.

Visit the Virtual for the Old City Hall (GC6069). Its a fun one and you won't look out of place gazing up at the building.

The Distillery District has some cool art galleries and brewery. There is a cache there. (GC1AHG7)

Cache in the Clouds is a neat little urban park in the canyon of tall buildings. (GC1566N)

If you are able to drive (or are on your way from TO to the Falls), the Halton Region has some great caching adventures. We visited several adjoined tracts of the Halton Region Forrest. Halton Falls Conservation Area or Mt. Nemo should also be good. We didn't go to Halton Falls or Mt. Nemo but they are on the list for next year's trip.

In Niagara Fall, visit Niagara Glen Forest Preserve. There are 5 (or so) caches and involve a nice hike in the Niagara Gorge. The area is absolutely beautiful. There are also a few caches in the bottom of the Whirlpool.

If you're going to the islands here's an easy Virtual:

GCA2AA tt - Toronto Queens Quay

and a nice Earthcache that you can do while at the same spot: GC127DY Great Lakes – Lake Iroquois

Here are some downtown virtuals and Earthcaches that I enjoyed that are accessible by public transit

Virtuals:

GCBCA6 Multi-talented

GC6C13 First Post - Toronto

Earthcaches:

GC250BB The Canadian Shield Clearing

GC251EC Casa on the Beach Multi-Earthcache (research the southern point before you arrive so you'll know where you have to go).

In Niagara Fall, visit Niagara Glen Forest Preserve. There are 5 (or so) caches and involve a nice hike in the Niagara Gorge. The area is absolutely beautiful. There are also a few caches in the bottom of the Whirlpool.

I'll second the suggestion for the Niagara gorge caches. They are amongst my favourites. I had no idea you could even go down into the gorge before I started caching! I don't know if they are accessible by public transit though.

Right off the bat, I'm thinking of the Distillery Sculpture Garden cache

I agree with that one. Definitely an interesting spot.

I'll second the suggestion for the Niagara gorge caches. They are amongst my favourites. I had no idea you could even go down into the gorge before I started caching! I don't know if they are accessible by public transit though.

I saw some sort of bus running along the gorge when we were there. Not sure of its route or hours. They may scale it back in September.

I saw some sort of bus running along the gorge when we were there. Not sure of its route or hours. They may scale it back in September.

That would be the Niagara Falls Shuttle bus.

That bus is operated by the Niagara Parks Comission.

Also on your way to the falls there is GC2B4 (deer Bait) the oldest cache in ontario.

That bus is operated by the Niagara Parks Comission.

Also on your way to the falls there is GC2B4 (deer Bait) the oldest cache in ontario.

Yes, it looks like you would need to take the bus operated by Niagara Parks rather than the Niagara Falls shuttle. The Niagara Falls shuttle route ends before reaching the caches in the gorge, such as the Niagara Glen caches. The Niagara parks bus goes all the way to Queenston Heights. There is a nice virtual cache at Queenston Heights that marks one end of the Bruce trail.

Niagara Parks Bus