How are reviwers elected and can i be one?

gui look

The local Reviewers decide that the workload justifies the need for another colleague to share the workload. They Identify possible candidates, looking for someone who has shown a good knowledge and understanding of the Guidelines. Who has shown the ability to work with others, has a good track record on both cache placements and finds [not necessarily in the thousands but not someone with a very low No of finds]. Has not made posts in any of the geocaching forums which could be of concern.

Once a person is identified, the local Reviewers will then submit the persons name to Groundspeak for their consideration. if Groundspeak decide that the person is suitable, They are then taken to the Reviewer Community for their opinion of the person. If this stage is passed successfully, Groundspeak will then make a final consideration, before providing either a yes or a no. If it's a yes, it's at this point that one of the local Reviewers will make contact with the selected person. And ask them to join the Reviewer Team. Not everyone accepts when asked, for variety of reasons.

Deceangi

hey everyone,

i just got a new cache published and it was super fast published.

and i was thinking, can i be a cache reviwer too?

if so how cuz i looked every were and nothing...

plz help :)

i also want to know how they are elected if so.

thanks

gui look :)

Why would you want to take on lots of work, get abuse on the forums, blamed for anything to do with caching in the UK and not get paid for it???? :D

Has not made posts in any of the geocaching forums which could be of concern.

So that rules out most of the people using them then :)

Once a person is identified, the local Reviewers will then submit the persons name to Groundspeak for their consideration. if Groundspeak decide that the person is suitable, They are then taken to the Reviewer Community for their opinion of the person. If this stage is passed successfully, Groundspeak will then make a final consideration, before providing either a yes or a no. If it's a yes, it's at this point that one of the local Reviewers will make contact with the selected person. And ask them to join the Reviewer Team. Not everyone accepts when asked, for variety of reasons.

Are you saying you submit names and do all this without the person's knowledge and before you've ascertained whether they have any interest in doing it in the first place? Management by committee eh? :D

I'd speak to a good libel lawyer too, I am not one, but I would have said it's probably better to let someone apply for something first before discussing their suitability or what their posts are like amongst yourselves.

Edited by needaxeo

There's nothing to stop any UK geocacher putting forward a name (including their own name) for consideration to become a reviewer at some time in the future.

If you know of someone in your area who you feel meets the criteria set out by Deceangi in his post #4 above then send the name in to him (or to one of the other reviewers) with a few details about why you think that person is worth considering.

Nothing may happen for months... years even... but then one evening their phone may ring... :)

MrsB

There's nothing to stop any UK geocacher putting forward a name (including their own name) for consideration to become a reviewer at some time in the future.

If you know of someone in your area who you feel meets the criteria set out by Deceangi in his post #4 above then send the name in to him (or to one of the other reviewers) with a few details about why you think that person is worth considering.

Well, I'm sure you implicitly meant to say "so long as you have their permission to send their name and details of course" but as that wasn't clear and as you and the earlier poster both seem to imply that you only ask them after the fact, let's say the thing I think that would stop most people from putting forward someone else's name is simple manners.

Edited by needaxeo
I'd speak to a good libel lawyer too, I am not one, but I would have said it's probably better to let someone apply for something first before discussing their suitability or what their posts are like amongst yourselves.

This is too silly for words(*), but the short answer is that "opinion is a standard defence in defamation/libel/slander cases".

(*) That's an opinion.

That's worth knowing ...

By the way, since I've got your attention, would anyone be interested in a copy of the GS database that I harvested with my botnet? I'm currently trading as "TheFrogMustDie" out of Nigeria and will happily take stolen GCs as payment.

( just making even surer than sure that I'm well out of the running :) )

That's worth knowing ...

By the way, since I've got your attention, would anyone be interested in a copy of the GS database that I harvested with my botnet? I'm currently trading as "TheFrogMustDie" out of Nigeria and will happily take stolen GCs as payment.

( just making even surer than sure that I'm well out of the running :) )

Yep, how much??

(Me too :ph34r: )

That's worth knowing ...

( just making even surer than sure that I'm well out of the running :ph34r: )

Yep, how much??

(Me too :D )

We told him to do it - so that's us out as well :)

ok thaks everyone but the local reviwer is not one of the best so i guess il stick as a normal geocacher.

thx

gui look :):ph34r:

You might have rephrased that, just in case you ever aspired to great office in the future. Your statement could count against you.

Doesn't look like they are short of reviewers anyway. Your seems to cover several countries at once, so it may be a while before another is needed for Portugal.

But thanks for your application :D , and sorry we (I) took the thread off track a little with the humour.

QUOTE(gui look @ Sep1 2010, 10:18 PM) *

ok thanks everyone but the local reviewer is not one of the best ...

gui look

:)

Is the local reviewer good, or not? :D

:D

he's ok but the problem is he almost twists the rules and so sometimes he is too rigurus.

i have talked with other geocachers personaly and they agree with me. im not shure there is a nother reviewer in portugal. i think ground speak should give everyone a small formation. only a vide on youtube is egnulf.

thanks averyone!

he's ok but the problem is he almost twists the rules and so sometimes he is too rigurus.

i have talked with other geocachers personaly and they agree with me. im not shure there is a nother reviewer in portugal. i think ground speak should give everyone a small formation. only a vide on youtube is egnulf.

thanks averyone!

quite an ugly statement you have there...in many ways...

The local Reviewers decide that the workload justifies the need for another colleague to share the workload. They Identify possible candidates, looking for someone who has shown a good knowledge and understanding of the Guidelines. Snip snip snip snip

Deceangi

Dave,

Firstly, apologies for snipping the post, but I think you underplay your card here.....

ISTR that some fairly recent requests for new reviewers were because you were to be found at odd hours outside McDonalds, campsites and such like approving caches.

The role of a reviewer must be a harrowing one (why do you always have a smile on your face?). You're badgered, criticised and in all honesty, I'd be looking for a new job if I was being paid to take the aggravation that you do. And you take all this without being paid!

So I think some of the qualities of being a reviewer needs is to be dedicated, have nerves of steel and broad shoulders EDIT: and a sunny disposition :laughing:

Edited by The Other Stu

hey everyone,

and i was thinking, can i be a cache reviwer too?

if so how cuz i looked every were and nothing...

plz help :laughing:

i also want to know how they are elected if so.

thanks

gui look :)

Arm-chair logging caches won't do you any favours for starters!

My apologies if you really DID go to Maryland for the GPS Maze and found no other caches while there

Oh, and travelling to London for a single Trad

:D

The local Reviewers decide that the workload justifies the need for another colleague to share the workload. They Identify possible candidates, looking for someone who has shown a good knowledge and understanding of the Guidelines. Snip snip snip snip

Deceangi

Dave,

Firstly, apologies for snipping the post, but I think you underplay your card here.....

ISTR that some fairly recent requests for new reviewers were because you were to be found at odd hours outside McDonalds, campsites and such like approving caches.

The role of a reviewer must be a harrowing one (why do you always have a smile on your face?). You're badgered, criticised and in all honesty, I'd be looking for a new job if I was being paid to take the aggravation that you do. And you take all this without being paid!

So I think some of the qualities of being a reviewer needs is to be dedicated, have nerves of steel and broad shoulders EDIT: and a sunny disposition :D

I'm sure the other Reviewers around the world, not only the UK/Ireland team will agree. It is a privilege and a pleasure to be able to give something special back to the community. Who give us so much pleasure and friendship.

For me personally, as a Full time Carer. I spend much of the time isolated from the world. With just my family to speak to. So being a Reviewer has given me a social life outside of that small world, And has given me so many special friends. Many whom I would have never made, without being a Reviewer.

I've been even more lucky in that I've managed to con :laughing: so many special people into joining the team. And it is a privilege to work so closely with them.

There you go 3 reasons to keep smiling :D and there are thousands more :)

Dave/Deci :)

plus I've only put in around a thousand hours or so :yikes: Sat outside McD's over the last 4 years :ph34r: I've had well over a couple of hundred free coffee's out of them :P (yes I'm a coffee addict, as well as a Geocache addict :D ). Coffee, free WiFi and a Inverter and I'm in seventh heaven :D:D

I'm also a full time carer so am not able to cache or meet other people as much as I'd like. I spend a lot of time secretly lurking on this forum enjoying reading other people's experiences. Hopefully I will get to meet some of the fantastic reviewers one day, maybe at Mega Wales 2011!

[For me personally, as a Full time Carer. I spend much of the time isolated from the world. With just my family to speak to. So being a Reviewer has given me a social life outside of that small world, And has given me so many special friends. Many whom I would have never made, without being a Reviewer.]