Some of my favorite Orlando caches... gone

samshine20

My single reason for posting is to reassure my fellow Orlandoians who have travelbugs or other important items hidden in one or several of his caches and are worried these items will fall by the wayside as a result of this unfortunate turn of events. Please do not worry, even now, ‘he-who-shall-not-be-named’, (let’s call him Bob, that’s just easier) is running around the greater Orlando area in order to retrieve these items so that they can continue on their destined journeys.

If that was really your single reason, your whole post can be edited, ("ashnikes will be rescuing and moving the TBs in his caches", for example) then PM a moderator to close the thread.

In the next day or so, the TBs will be rescued, right? and moved along. So nobody needs to be worried, as it's all being taken care of. And if they are worried, they're probably not reading this thread anyway, but they'll get unworried when the TBs are logged. Bingo! no problem.

I trust you can come to your own conclusions

absolutely

But in my humble opinion (and I know it is shared by some of you out there) his major fault was perhaps being a little too overzealous and as a result, he posed a threat to the small minority who prefer the game to remain “as is” and apparently want to preserve the status quo at almost any cost.

I'll second Chokecherry, Ashnikes was not banned because he was overzealous. This would be a thin board at times if that was the case.

...but they have already been unpublished...

Which brings to mind an interesting question...

When a cache is unpublished, do all the find stats go away?

If I was at 100 finds, and one of my finds was on a cache belonging to The Nameless One, would my count drop to 99? :)

The caches in question were archived, not retracted (and the cache owner has posted to the 3 with trackables his intent to move them along, so the OP is apparently to no purpose at all?).

However, to answer your question re "unpublished as retracted" caches - finds on retracted caches remain in your "finds column". You can see the log, but not the cache if you click the cache name from the log. I'm assuming you're looking at your logs list.

If you pull a "My Finds" query, you DO receive the cache page .gpx file and all your logs, as with any published cache.

...but they have already been unpublished...

Which brings to mind an interesting question...

When a cache is unpublished, do all the find stats go away?

If I was at 100 finds, and one of my finds was on a cache belonging to The Nameless One, would my count drop to 99? :)

The caches in question were archived, not retracted (and the cache owner has posted to the 3 with trackables his intent to move them along, so the OP is apparently to no purpose at all?).

However, to answer your question re "unpublished as retracted" caches - finds on retracted caches remain in your "finds column". You can see the log, but not the cache if you click the cache name from the log. I'm assuming you're looking at your logs list.

If you pull a "My Finds" query, you DO receive the cache page .gpx file and all your logs, as with any published cache.

I am confused. I see his hides, but they are unpublished if I go to look at them. This is new to me. You sure they weren't retracted, but you have secret powers I don't? :D

Well, all I can say is there must have been definitive proof "Bob" was behind the flurry of sock puppet troll attacks, despite the use of proxy servers and what not. Thanks for collecting all the trackables Bob. Best of luck to you in the future, Bob. :)

I am confused. I see his hides, but they are unpublished if I go to look at them. This is new to me. You sure they weren't retracted, but you have secret powers I don't?

:) Yeah, in fact I do have secret powers.

But his caches were archived and locked, not retracted.

However, apparently a bug was introduced in yesterday's site upgrade such that ALL archived and locked caches are now "unpublished". Take a look at any Locationless - it's been "unpublished" too!

Locationless, Hall of Fame by Doombot! GC5798

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC5798

If people had already found the caches, why were they retracted... not just archived?

This may be related to a bug introduced by yesterday's update.

Archived and locked caches are suddenly coming up as Unpublished. We are still waiting for word from the Lackys if this was intended or not. At any rate, it's not something that was done just for this guys caches. It includes all of the caches that meet that criteria, including all of the old Locationless caches.

If people had already found the caches, why were they retracted... not just archived?

Archived and locked caches are suddenly coming up as Unpublished. We are still waiting for word from the Lackys if this was intended or not. At any rate, it's not something that was done just for this guys caches. It includes all of the caches that meet that criteria, including all of the old Locationless caches.

In a way it sort of makes sense, if it was intentional. I mean, really, an archived and locked page can only be looked at, no logging, nothing, just looking. If it is archived but not locked you can still log to it. Did any one post on GetSat about the problem?

Has it been fixed already? I just checked a couple of archived caches of my own and of others that I have found, and had no problem viewing the cache pages.

For that matter, on Page 2 of the OP's finds, there is an archived cache by someone other than Ashnikes. You can view that cache just fine. But try to open either of Ashnike's caches and you get the "unpublished" page.

Edited by knowschad

Has it been fixed already? I just checked a couple of archived caches of my own and of others that I have found, and had no problem viewing the cache pages.

For that matter, on Page 2 of the OP's finds, there is an archived cache by someone other than Ashnikes. You can view that cache just fine. But try to open either of Ashnike's caches and you get the "unpublished" page.

It appears to be locked caches only (locked from further log entries). Like for example any Locationless cache ever will show as unpublished right now, as they were all locked. A blown up Wal-Mart hide being disussed in the Canadian forum whose listing was locked shows as unpublished. Same thing with the caches I know of by another banned user whose listings were all archived and locked.

Since the OP has wiped out her post, the thread now makes no sense except as a bug report regarding archived & locked caches showing as unpublished. I'm certain that bug will be fixed, and it's been reported to Groundspeak at Get Satisfaction.

Therefore, I am closing this thread.