2011 Indiana Spring Picnic

lakedawgs

Thanks for the reminder, Deermark! (drumroll please) The 2011 Indiana Spring Picnic is going to be held at Prophetstown State Park in Battle Ground, IN (near Lafayette) on Saturday, May 14. Tentative time is 10am until 2pm. Hope to see lots and lots of you there!

We already have three other events in the works:

Friday night meet & greet (Jenischmeni)

Saturday night campfire event (Tank Hounds & Team Shydog)

Sunday morning breakfast event (FourRushkateers)

There are still plenty of opportunities for other events if anyone is interested in hosting (CITO, Flash Mob, tag/coin swap, etc.). Just let us know and we'll add you to the list, so we don't accidentally end up with overlaps.

Enjoy your Fall/Winter... see you in the Spring!!

Sounds like a lot of fun! I am thinking about coming. My question is...If one does not own a GPS, can they still participate in the hunts? If so, I will more than likely be there :anicute:

Sure, it can give you an opportunity to pair up with different cachers and see what type of GPS units are out there and what each one is capable of doing. Maybe it will help you decide on which one to purchase if that is what you are interested in. A GPS unit will definitely make geocaching a lot easier.

Sounds like a lot of fun! I am thinking about coming. My question is...If one does not own a GPS, can they still participate in the hunts? If so, I will more than likely be there :laughing:

Don't let the lack of a GPSr stop you from attending. Like jtbrady said, it's a great opportunity to see various receivers in use. Many "muggles" have attended picnics to get a feel for the sport. It's a terrific opportunity to find out a lot of useful information when you're first starting out.

Is this location wheelchair accessible? I use a motorized wheelchair and find so many caches hard to find.

I can honestly say I do not recall if there is a ramp from the parking lot to the sidewalk, but there is a sidewalk from the parking lot to the shelter where the event will be held. And sidewalks connect the shelter to the playground and modern restroom facilities. The event will be held in the Coneflower Shelter, and per the INDNR's website, this shelter is ADA accessible. I hope this is helpful. We would love to have you atttend our event!

Made our camping reservation last night - we'll be in site 118 in the full hook-up area. Looking forward to this! And believe the cache page when it says not to follow your GPS to get to the park. In many cases, your GPS will try to take you across a narrow, one-lane bridge over the Wabash River. If you make it past there, you'll have a very hard left turn - almost a u-turn - in the small town of Battleground. Much better to take the SR 43 exit off I-65 and follow directions. We live only a mile from that one lane bridge and while it's fine for a car, no way would we try to tow anything on that route. We'll be taking our camper on the interstate route to get there.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!