TB Found before drop logged

Smilin' Slug

Here is a situation I've found myself in, and I'm wondering what if anything to do about it. I searched for the answer to this question, but I'm as good as searching for info on the net as I am at finding 3-star geocaches. icon_smile.gif

Shortly before leaving California for an vacation in Wisconsin, I happen to find a TB that wants to visit as many states as possible. So I take it along and drop it in cache, but I don't get to log it until 2 days later, due to lack of internet access during my travels. In the meantime someone else finds it and logs it. So when I logged my visit to the cache, the TB is no longer in my inventory. I left a note on the TB page, but apparently the distance travelled and the fact that it was ever in this cache will not be accounted for.

What, if anything, should I do about this? I want some credit for advancing this TB along it's way.

Relevant links:

TB: USA 4x4 Travel Bug

Cache:

Cafe' Cache'

The answer you are looking for lays several pages back on theis forum.

To Quote Markwell:

The only way you could properly log the bug's journeys is to grab the bug from the current holder and place it in the cache. But that messes up the current holder's log, and the current placement of the bug.

To correct the logs, you'll need to be in touch with the current bug's holder.

Have that current holder of the bug delete his log

Grab the bug from the current holder (you can do this with the six digit code)

Place the bug in the cache like you normally would have done

The current holder can "regrab" the bug from the cache

Obviously, this takes some coordination on the part of you and the current holder, but it can be done.

This is one way. You'll just about have to contact the one who grabbed the bug no matter what you do.

When in trouble, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Or you could do what I just had to do. A TB I placed was picked up and traveled some 130 or so miles to western NY. A geocacher picked it up and put it in a new cache in Manitoba but never logged it. So it was listed as having only traveled 130 or so miles from the initial location in central NY to Manitoba. It was then picked up by another cacher whom I contacted and he was trying to figure out how to get it updated.

Since I had the "COPY" of the TB I entered that I had it and then placed it in the Manitoba cache, thereby updating to the correct mileage.

I then emailed the current holder and told him to go back and reclaim it. I don't know if it was the correct or most efficient method, but it worked.

When this has happened to me, I just re-grabbed the bug and let the current holder know, so he could grab it back. As long as you back-date your grab, it'll keep things in the correct order in the log.

-------------

"Thos' Degrees of Longitude and Latitude in Name, yet in Earthly reality are they Channels mark'd for the transport of some unseen Influence, one carefully assembl'd chain…"

– Thomas Pynchon, Mason & Dixon

quote:
Originally posted by Touchstone:

I had a similar thing happen to me with Road Kill TB. There was a gap in the log, and it had been, I don't know, a few weeks, so I just logged her in and figured that we'd sort it out later. No word from whoever placed it in the cache that I found it in.

A similar thing happened to me as well. I found a TB in a cache that had never been logged in as being there. I made a note on the pages that I would log it as placing the bug, even though I didn't.... and then grabbing from the cache to place in another one. I figured if the individual wanted the credit for placing the bug, I would have gladly worked with them to delete my logs so they could put theirs in.

At the time I didn't think about researching previous caches it had been in to see if something was said about it being picked up..... going forward if this happens again I will attempt to contact the last individual known to have had possession of the bug via e-mail, if possible. If not, I will show as placing, then retrieving again. The TB should get the credit for the mileage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob - can ya beer me now?

Sandy - bite me

I picked up a TB today and so far it hasn't been logged into the place I found it...I claimed it but after reading the posts here went back and deleted it so as not to mess up the logging. I guess I will wait till they log it to claim it. In the mean time it will be safely waiting a trip to Tennessee.

quote:
Originally posted by mamalu:

I picked up a TB today and so far it hasn't been logged into the place I found it...I claimed it but after reading the posts here went back and deleted it so as not to mess up the logging. I guess I will wait till they log it to claim it. In the mean time it will be safely waiting a trip to Tennessee.

You could also check which cache the travel bug was in before it got to the cache where you picked it up. The cacher may have noted that they picked up the bug. If they did you could always contact them and see if they are planning to post the pick up and drop off on the TB page.......... and if too much time goes by without a reply, I'd note it for that cache so it will get the credits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob - can ya beer me now?

Sandy - bite me

I thought this was a possibility.

I am on vacation right now, and usually, when I geocache, I usually have a laptop with me and am online as soon as I get back to the car.

This time, however, I just called my brother back home (who usually geocaches with me) and he updated the page for me.

My mom, whom I introduced to geocaching this week, was wondering what I was calling my brother for.

I think it is important to make the log entries ASAP.

B)

Must be nice to have internet connectivity in the field, or even another family member that understands roving about the land looking for planted tupperware. icon_smile.gif

I agree that prompt logging is important. In my case I unfortunately have neither. Since Travel bugs occasionally involve travelling, I thought that logging it by the next day while far from home was doing pretty good, but it obviously was not quick enough. However, after contacting the finder, all has been logged correctly. So the moral I've learned from all this is to save the tag number in case of such events.

Cheers,

'Slug

I just picked up a couple of TBs in a cache where the person who dropped them off was on vacation. (No, didn't find the person there, too. :-) That person left a note asking that the person who picks them up not log them in until such-and-such date when they'd be able to get online to log that they had dropped it off in the cache in which I found them. No problem. Seems like if you're not going to be able to log off your drop into a cache for a few days that a simple note to that affect is all that is needed.

Ken