Troy Geocoin

woejam

Hi all,

Herewith the first preview of the new design I'm currently working on:

the Troy Geocoin.

The idea is to use Achillas shield to to show the fight for the city of Troy.

It is a combination of 3D with 2D with translucent colors.

There are going to be a number of different plating/color combinations and at least one two tone.

I'm not fully finished with it yet, working on some detailes in the translucent areas.

Any suggestion or ideas are very welcome.

Willem-Jan

Troy-Geocoin.jpg

Edited by Eartha

Hi all,

Herewith the first preview of the new design I'm currently working on:

the Troy Geocoin.

The idea is to use Achillas shield to to show the fight for the city of Troy.

It is a combination of 3D with 2D with translucent colors.

There are going to be a number of different plating/color combinations and at least one two tone.

I'm not fully finished with it yet, working on some detailes in the translucent areas.

Any suggestion or ideas are very welcome.

Willem-Jan

Troy-Geocoin.jpg

i think the left hand side of the coin, the tracking number side is going to be very "busy" with all those details in a small space and they be hard to discern. the right hand side of the coin is pretty cool.

if it were me, i would make the horse a bit bigger and move the horse and apple to just inside the circle, offset from the center and remove the head details altogether. those are going to be tiny. i love the horse!

i also think one shiny metal is a good choice because translucents seem too muted for my taste on antiqued metals.

just a couple of thoughts.

Nice design! I like Greek theme coins.... As I am from Greece! :D

I have some corrections, some suggestions if that is ok! :D

I like that you used the ancient greek shield of that time... as a shape of your coin! Actually this shape was mostly used in Boioteia (Where Theba in greece is..) and not in Thessaly where the kingdom of Achilles was (Larissa or Volos??) But it was a quite famous shiled becasue it was easier to hold and carry and you could be protected and fight at the same time! what I mean by that? You could put the spear in the curves of the shield and it was easier to control (you didn't use so much power and strength), and you were protected at the same time! In other older shields which were bigger and heavy you had to come out of the protection to fight...

BUT.... I have to tell you that the shiled openings... are not on the top and down of the shiled but... on the right and the left side! :D

You have a tiny mistake in the names of the goddes! :)

It is ΑΘΗΝΑ and not ΑΘΗΝΗ! :D The greek writing is excellent!!! I would also suggest you to use the toning of the words!

Αφροδίτη, 'Ηρα, Αθηνά! by that way the name of Athena will not be confused with Athens city (even if the city took her name from Athena! :D ).

On the other side, I do not understand the middle round design ( chariot of Achilles? I am not sure if chariots with 4 horses existed at that time...) and the zodiac circle! I am sure there is a reason you put them! :)

Of course there are many things to put... like... 2 woriors, a Greek and a Trojan fighting.... maybe in the middle round to have the head of Helen....

2 versions came in my mind... one with the 2 warriors standing and looking eachother ready to fight, and the other was inspired from ancient Roman "falling horseman" coins! The greek warrior standing above the fallen trojan who is trying to cover and defend with his arms and his sword! The greek warrior is holding a spear ready to kill the trojan and he is holding his shield that as design it has the head of HELEN!

Or.... you can even put Laookon's death! I hope you know the high priest of Trojans who understood that the horse was a greek trick and said it but none believed him! He took a spear and trew it on the belly, but 2 huge snakes came out of the sea (Gods sand them to punish the blasphemy) and killed him and his sons...

Of course I do not know if with all that the coin will be too busy

It is not well known but Achilles and his family had a great part in this story of the apple and the trojan war!!!

Achilles was the son of Thetis (nymph of the sea so imortal and lower god....) and Pileas! During their marriage, all Gods were invited except Eris (female god) who was not invided becasue she was evil!

So to take revenge... she found a way and went there and threw a gold apple on the wedding table with the inscription... "Καλλιστη" to the most beautiful goddes! and you know the rest! :D

Most probably the shield of Achilles was round! even the second one... (the first armory was taken by Hector when he killed Patroclus) that was made by God Hifestos was round... :)

I like the colors and the metals! Very good job my friend! :D

Hi,

Thanks for the quick and extensive feedback. :)

I updated the design to make it a little less busy.

I also correct the name and added the accents. Thanks for that!

It is indeed the idea that the coin tells the story of golden apple.

Eris, the god discord, not invited to the wedding of Pileas and Thetis, trew it on the table.

According to Eris, the apple belongs to whomever was the fairest.

Three ladies Athena, Hera and Aphrodite reached for it and this eventuelly triggered the war for Troy.

Acchilles fought in the war and the war was ended by using the Trojan horse.

Orginally, I intended to use the round shield of Achilles of which is round with a lot of people and fighting on it.

But I liked the one with the openings as used by Achillas in the movie Troy.

On the circle part (half raised) is Achilles on a horse wagon, as he was too, fighting this war and eventuelly felled by Paris.

This is also visible some of the pictures of the shield of Achilles as well as the zodiacs (as far as I know, created based on the books Homer).

Willem-Jan

troy-geocoin-2.jpg

Hi,

Thanks for the quick and extensive feedback. :)

I updated the design to make it a little less busy.

I also correct the name and added the accents. Thanks for that!

It is indeed the idea that the coin tells the story of golden apple.

Eris, the god discord, not invited to the wedding of Pileas and Thetis, trew it on the table.

According to Eris, the apple belongs to whomever was the fairest.

Three ladies Athena, Hera and Aphrodite reached for it and this eventuelly triggered the war for Troy.

Acchilles fought in the war and the war was ended by using the Trojan horse.

Orginally, I intended to use the round shield of Achilles of which is round with a lot of people and fighting on it.

But I liked the one with the openings as used by Achillas in the movie Troy.

On the circle part (half raised) is Achilles on a horse wagon, as he was too, fighting this war and eventuelly felled by Paris.

This is also visible some of the pictures of the shield of Achilles as well as the zodiacs (as far as I know, created based on the books Homer).

Willem-Jan

troy-geocoin-2.jpg

not to be overly picky, but i did like the design detail you originally had going under the horse and apple. sort of ties it all together. slightly smaller apple to not take away visually from the horse. one detail needs to be the focal point of the design, the others are supporting players as it were.

i wish the original design had not be replaced so we could see the progress.

this is going to be beautiful! and i may have to step up to the plate on this one. gold and red, my favorite combination. :D

Edited by RedShoesGirl

Hi,

Oops, sorry, I accedently replaced the 1st design, not realising that it would replace also this link.

Anyway, it has been restored.

On the left side, I put the background Achilles with the horses back, however it is mostly covered by the Trojan horse.

I also feel it is somewhat empty when using a translucent color. It is not using the translucent capabilities so much.

I'm still thinking whether there should be something more in the background to make it more....

I feel the right side is ok. Maybe some textures still to be done on the lower areas of the outer parts.

And the red translucent with two tone plating antique bronze with a the polished golden apple will be my favourite :D

Here the next update:

Willem-Jan

troy-geocoin-3.jpg

Hi,

Oops, sorry, I accedently replaced the 1st design, not realising that it would replace also this link.

Anyway, it has been restored.

On the left side, I put the background Achilles with the horses back, however it is mostly covered by the Trojan horse.

I also feel it is somewhat empty when using a translucent color. It is not using the translucent capabilities so much.

I'm still thinking whether there should be something more in the background to make it more....

I feel the right side is ok. Maybe some textures still to be done on the lower areas of the outer parts.

And the red translucent with two tone plating antique bronze with a the polished golden apple will be my favourite :D

Here the next update:

Willem-Jan

troy-geocoin-3.jpg

i think you are right about something needed under the horse to keep it from being so empty. and at least on paper the size between the horse and the apple looks good to me, but hopefully some of the designers will weigh in. their opinion is much more valid than mine.

i think gatoulis made some really good points, especially about where the shield openings are. not so important on the right hand side, but pretty important on the horse side. maybe think about rotating the design 90 degrees so the horse head is up and the shield openings are on the right and left side. that should be an easy change to at least consider.

your plating idea sounds pretty good too! this is really turning out nice. thanks for letting me "play" along.

lara

Hrm, currently the front feels "unbalanced". You have this large horse on one side, and then a small apple on the other. You might consider having just the horse on the front, and put the apple on the back, or finding a more dynamic layout for the front side other than the two things just sitting on opposite sides of each other.

Just some thoughts, feel free to disregard. :D Agree about rotating the shield so the indentations are in the correct spot, though!

Edited by anne.and.eli

Hi,

I made an update to try out the rotated version. The apple didn't fit well in this version anymore.

The good point is, that the background image is better visible, also the horse can be made a little larger.

Still struggeling with the background in th upper and lower arcs. Maybe some greek text could be suitable for the background (e.g. phrases of the story), or simply some typical greek decorations....

Willem-Jan

troy-geocoin-4.jpg

Lovely!!! :D

It is nice that you turned the shield in the right possition!

You may see it like you used to have it in the first place, but the right way to hold was this one! :D

In case you want a greek text I can help you! :D

If you want only a greek docoration, try the Meander!

greek_key_meander_motif.gif

The meander is the most famous greek decoration!

Do not try the double meander design... it comes out like swastigas! They are not but they look like! You can make a round decoration with it!

or... you can put mythological animals like the sphynx! not the Egyptian one! ;)

You can see it here and you can also see a design with 2 in the middle...

sphynx.jpg

sphynx2.jpg

there is a greek moto for a shield but it has nothing to do with Troy! it is the famous motto of the Spartan mother that said to her son when he was going to the war!

H TAN H EΠI TAΣ meaning... come with it or on it (come victorious or dead but with honor)!

If you want I can try to find if something exists from the Trojan war!

Ok... there is something and actually has to do with the Trojan horse too but... :D

It is the: ΦΟΒΟΥ ΤΟΥΣ ΔΑΝΑΟΥΣ ΚΑΙ ΔΩΡΑ ΦΕΡΟΝΤΑΣ

and its translation is: fear of the greeks even if they bring presents!

The high priest of the Trojans said that when he saw the Trajan horse! He was the only who didn't believe that the horse was a present and understood that it was a trap! I have posted the story about what happent to him!

Danaoi was an other name of the ancient greeks because they believed that they were coming from Danaos...

It is not so nice for the Greeks but.... :)

In case you want this in small greek letters, here it is:

Φοβού τους Δαναούς και δώρα φέροντας

Hi,

I made an update to try out the rotated version. The apple didn't fit well in this version anymore.

The good point is, that the background image is better visible, also the horse can be made a little larger.

Still struggeling with the background in th upper and lower arcs. Maybe some greek text could be suitable for the background (e.g. phrases of the story), or simply some typical greek decorations....

Willem-Jan

troy-geocoin-4.jpg

this is looking great! something under the horse as fill and not specific picture would make it just about perfect in my eyes. love the change in the shield orientation.

Hi Gatoulis,

Thanks a lot.

Indeed the meander seems a good idea.

And I love the text. Although maybe not related in time, it comes from the same source, so I've added it in the background.

I will work on the level diagram for the factory to make clear what should be raised, half raised and 3D.

The horse will be mainly raised in 3D, but some parts will be covered by translucent.

The right side (front), the shield will be a little spheric.

Only the red areas will contain translucent material.

I will also start to look for the color and plating combinations, but most likely will have some different samples made to choose from.

Willem-Jan

troy-geocoin-5.jpg

Hi Gatoulis,

Thanks a lot.

And I love the text. Although maybe not related in time, it comes from the same source, so I've added it in the background.

I will work on the level diagram for the factory to make clear what should be raised, half raised and 3D.

The horse will be mainly raised in 3D, but some parts will be covered by translucent.

I will also start to look for the color and plating combinations, but most likely will have some different samples made to choose from.

Willem-Jan

troy-geocoin-5.jpg

when i look at the drawing on screen, i can barely see the writing, so i am wondering if it will show on a real coin. anyone else have thoughts about the size of the text?

Hi Gatoulis,

Thanks a lot.

Willem-Jan

troy-geocoin-5.jpg

when i look at the drawing on screen, i can barely see the writing, so i am wondering if it will show on a real coin. anyone else have thoughts about the size of the text?

That's done on purpose. It is half raised and small to act as a kind of secret message. The picture is not that sharp, but in a real coin it will show up.

Raising it fully will increase the readability, but then it is less of a secret :)

WOW!!!! That's an excellent Greek coin! :) Emm... I mean Dutch coin! :) Well... Greek theme one! :D

Really beautiful!!!!!

The text is highly related with the trojan horse, so... it is an excellent choice!!! :) On the coin you can see the beginining and the end of the trojan war! :)

I am so happy I helped a little! :D

Hi there,

The samples have arrived. Only the two-tone version will be later. Pictures are below.

Better pictures are on our website.

There is an option for reservation in our shop: www.geocachingshop.nl.

The are currently 4 versions which will be made.

Limited versions (75 pieces each): antique gold/orange and antique copper/green

Regular versions: Antique brass/red and Antique silver/blue

Troy-AG-B-200.jpgTroy-AG-F-200.jpg

Troy-AC-B-200.jpgTroy-AC-F-200.jpg

Troy-AB-B-200.jpgTroy-AB-F-200.jpg

Troy-AS-B-200.jpgTroy-AS-F-200.jpg

tried to reserve a green coin...asked for payment to paypal

ILYK

Sorry about that, the weight was not set to 0. : :blink:

If you use the option for pre-payment by banktransfer, it will not go to Paypal and the amount remains 0.

Edited by woejam

Hi there,

The samples have arrived. Only the two-tone version will be later. Pictures are below.

Better pictures are on our website.

There is an option for reservation in our shop: www.geocachingshop.nl.

The are currently 4 versions which will be made.

Limited versions (75 pieces each): antique gold/orange and antique copper/green

Regular versions: Antique brass/red and Antique silver/blue

Troy-AG-B-200.jpgTroy-AG-F-200.jpg

Troy-AC-B-200.jpgTroy-AC-F-200.jpg

Troy-AB-B-200.jpgTroy-AB-F-200.jpg

Troy-AS-B-200.jpgTroy-AS-F-200.jpg

WOW!!!! It came out so pretty!!!! :D Beautiful coin!!!

Here is how I am looking these coins.... :huh:

The Orange one is the Dutch tone and the gold stands for the famous gold of Troy and the treasure that was found in excavations! Orange may also show the flames when Troy fell and set in fire! Most of the houses in Troy were made by wood at that time according to archeologists! Only the palace in acropolis of Ilion (Troy) was made with rocks... was builded! Hm,mm.... nice!!! Trojan horse standing and as a fond we see the flames in Troy....

The Copper with the green... stands for the copper age the war was made, and the weapons in both sides were made of copper!!! (in some parts of the epic poem, we also hear about iron weapons, but this is a clue that the poet who erote it messed it up a little... and the poem was writen later... ), and the green is the color of hope! Trojan hoped that the greeks will leave... and Greeks that they will win! :D And what is the color copper turns to be because of age etc...???? Green! Yes! A green patina!!! Perfect!!!

The Brass and red!! When I saw the red and the cut outs or the shield... my mind went to the Apple and the 3 gods... :o The apple was gold (so here the brass repesends it), but... usually when we drawing an apple... we make it red!!! B) Except that... it honors all the lost men in this war!

the blue and the silver is dedicated to the Winners... the Greeks! It has the Greek colors!!! also, the blue stands for the sea... Greeks had to pass... to come and fight.. and after the war to go back! Greeks were and still are.. sea men!! :) Silver.... it was widely used in ancient greece! especially in coins... in trades etc... and ok... the war was not for the eyes of Helen... :)

I know... I have a lot of imagination, but I like it! :blink:

this is only how I... see the coins.... ok? I have no ides if I am correct or the maker choosed the colors in a different way.... maybe according to the flag of the Netherlands.. :)

But it is for sure a great coin and a great job!!! Well done my friend!!!! Well done!!! :D

Edited by GATOULIS

Can't resist so reserved 3!

For those of us outside the EU, will the VAT be removed from our final price? And how much does each weigh?

Yes, the VAT is removed once you have filled in a shipping address outside the EU.

The shipping weight of each coin is around 55 grams.

Willem-Jan

Today I received one of these beauties!!! WOW!!!!!!! It is one of the pretiest!!!

and I loved the name of it!!! Falakros!! it is a greek word and it was also in use in the ancient times! It means... without hair... bold! It is also used in places without any green, trees... so.. it really fits to the coin who doesn't have any colour! :D

Full matel coin is amazing!!!!!!!

thank you my friend!!!! :D