iPhone vs GPS

hikingirl3

Hello! I'm going to give geocaching a try for the first time this weekend. I was wondering if any of you have the 200 Mb AT&T data plan? How much data do you usually use when you're out geocaching with your iPhone? I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to use my phone or a handheld GPS.

It really depends on how much caching you do and how much you make use of other data services. I suspect the average cacher would only use a fraction of 200mb in a month.

You can determine this for yourself. The iPhone keeps track of your data usage. You can find it under | Settings | General | Usage. The figures are located under the 'Cellular Network Data' section. You can either write down the numbers or click the 'reset statitistics' button. After your caching trip is over, check the numbers and see how much you used.

I have an unlimited plan, so this isn't a consideration. But I got curious and switched off my wifi to check the data used.

To pull up nearby caches and descriptions/coordinates, it was only a few kB. But when I navigated to a cache, I ate up a MB in no time at all. And this is just sitting in my living room without actually moving. It does seem that the location services (aGPS) use up quite a bit of data.

I personally use my iphone and a standalone GPSr when I cache. So if you just used the app to find nearby caches and get coordinates, I think you'd be Ok.

By the way, I think it stinks that t&t started screwing with the iphone data plans!

And the handheld GPS will be SSSOOOOOO much more accurate.

I went caching with someone who had an I-phone app.

We jumped out of the car and each of us only looking at the units in our hands, we both headed in opposite directions. I knew something was wrong.

She got a hand-held GPS now.

Everyone I've heard of who was geocaching with an I-phone ended up getting a handheld GPS if they stuck with it.

The phone aps are good ways to check out whether you're going to stick with the game.

A good way to find out whether it's worth making the investment in a GPS.

Don't know if this has been the case for anyone else, but prior to v3 of the geocaching app, it seemed much more accurate (at least the compass feature). i'm out and about for work and have been known to pick up a cache or three on my break or just bouncing around town. the iphone app works just fine for the P&Gs. But I agree that if you're going to do much more then that, then a dedicated unit is a must.

mark:

how are you differentiating between the aGPS features and the mapping?

i got curious and navigated to a cache about 20 miles away, hit the freeway and ..whoa! something on the order of 20 MB was used!

To pull up nearby caches and descriptions/coordinates, it was only a few kB. But when I navigated to a cache, I ate up a MB in no time at all. And this is just sitting in my living room without actually moving. It does seem that the location services (aGPS) use up quite a bit of data.

I have been curious about the data plans but here is my question about what you found out.

How did you navigate to a cache while sitting in your living room. Do you mean you brought up a cache and just doing that used a mb or do you mean you brought up a cache at home and went for it and it used a mb?

Trying to understand so I know how bad or good the cheaper data plan is.

A real answer would be from someone who does mainly caching with their Iphone for a month and lets us know how many mb's they use.

Edited by Druce_n_Eulla

That'll be from loading up the maps. You can compensate for this by using your home wifi connection to save the maps ahead of time.

That'll be from loading up the maps. You can compensate for this by using your home wifi connection to save the maps ahead of time.

Thanks for the info not that I want an Iphone but I may be interested in a smartphone when the windows phone 7's hit the market and was curious as to how the plans would work out if and when they get caching software.

The iPhone is convenient for identifying nearby caches on the go (paperless caching), but it is incredibly inaccurate as compared to a handheld GPS when you actually go hunting for a cache. However, if you're new to geocaching, you're probably going to be hunting for easier caches, and for that the iPhone won't be quite as horrible.

However, I would recommend NEVER EVER hiding your own geocache by using your iPhone or any other phone compass. If you're going to hide a cache, it's best to always use a handheld GPS unit and to get the coordinates as accurate as possible. Sometimes the phone compasses are only accurate to 500 feet or so - not even close to good enough for hiding.

Good luck!!

I'm just slightly older at this than you. I was sooo happy to have the iphone app in the beginning, as $10 was the only way to make this accessible to me until I could afford a GPS. I just got one, and have t say, there are ins and outs to both.

(not all inclusive--just my highlights)

Iphone pros:

-Not having to ever do "pocket queries" to get coords.

-already own it & know the controls

-TOUCH SCREEN (I know that some GPSs have this, but beyond my price)

-Big screen--easy to see--blue dot thingy helps me!

GPS pros (I don't have an expensive one--I have the Magellan Explorist GC, which was made for this)

-Made with Geocaching exclusively in mind

-WATERPROOOF--don't try that with your iphone

--Can hang on a lanyard around my neck (try that for climbing to where you think the cache is--but isn't

--since you already have an iphone, you can use both and have better luck

-breadcrumbs!!!!!!!--tracks where I went in so I can follow it to get back out. Has been veeerrryy useful

Edited by MindyRN6

The iPhone is convenient for identifying nearby caches on the go (paperless caching), but it is incredibly inaccurate as compared to a handheld GPS when you actually go hunting for a cache.

On older iPhones maybe. But the iPhone 4 is comparable to a handheld GPS for most purposes.

However, I would recommend NEVER EVER hiding your own geocache by using your iPhone or any other phone compass. If you're going to hide a cache, it's best to always use a handheld GPS unit and to get the coordinates as accurate as possible. Sometimes the phone compasses are only accurate to 500 feet or so - not even close to good enough for hiding.

I've hidden all my caches with the iPhone 4 and it's perfectly adequate. Google maps agrees with exactly where the coordinates are and I've even had logs saying "coords spot on".

-Big screen--easy to see--blue dot thingy helps me!

When out in the wilds I find the satellite photo view invaluable. Like yesterday, I knew the direction of the cache and how far away it was, but only from looking at the sat photos did I know that I had to take the fork left in the trail at this point!

Well, I actually have a bit of experience now that I can share! The first one my friend and I went looking for we were having no luck finding. So I pulled out my iPhone (it's the iPhone 4 and I was using the Groundspeak ap) and she used the Garmin and eventually we found it. They both pointed us the same way. I used it for probably 5 minutes and that ate up 3 or 4 Mbs. Then today I went looking for one on a trail system I know really well. I only pulled out the phone when I knew I was close to the area. Again, it was going for about 5 minutes, and I used the same amount of data. So it seems like you'll be OK if you only use it now and then for short trips if you have the crappy AT&T data plan.

However, in a different area, we were having trouble finding the cache with the Garmin and when I started the ap it would not recognize that there was a cache right near me. That was super annoying.

Edited by hikingirl3

Well, I actually have a bit of experience now that I can share! The first one my friend and I went looking for we were having no luck finding. So I pulled out my iPhone (it's the iPhone 4 and I was using the Groundspeak ap) and she used the Garmin and eventually we found it. They both pointed us the same way. I used it for probably 5 minutes and that ate up 3 or 4 Mbs. Then today I went looking for one on a trail system I know really well. I only pulled out the phone when I knew I was close to the area. Again, it was going for about 5 minutes, and I used the same amount of data. So it seems like you'll be OK if you only use it now and then for short trips if you have the crappy AT&T data plan.

However, in a different area, we were having trouble finding the cache with the Garmin and when I started the ap it would not recognize that there was a cache right near me. That was super annoying.

Were you using the aerial imagery during that time. Only a few minutes for 3 to 4 mbs seems like an awful lot.

Were you using the aerial imagery during that time. Only a few minutes for 3 to 4 mbs seems like an awful lot.

Nah it just loaded the regular map.

All I have ever used is my iphone. I used to use my 3G and it would generally get me in the area and I would usually hunt for the cache. I now have an iPhone 4 and I personally find it very accurate with the $10 app from Groundspeak. I'd say 99% of the time the GPS in the phone gets me within 10-20 feet of the cache. But I live in metro Atlanta and generally have full service wherever I go.

Hello! I'm going to give geocaching a try for the first time this weekend. I was wondering if any of you have the 200 Mb AT&T data plan? How much data do you usually use when you're out geocaching with your iPhone? I'm trying to figure out if it makes more sense to use my phone or a handheld GPS.

I don't use the nub-phone, but I do use my Samsung Moment with cGeo. I use the phone to log finds, and find additional caches in an area. I use the my Etrex Vista C to actually find the caches though. Better battery life, better GPS and all of my caches are saved in the GPS unit so I can sync with my Mapsource Software to keep an updated personal log.

Edited by Jedi_Find_Trick

All I have ever used is my iphone. I used to use my 3G and it would generally get me in the area and I would usually hunt for the cache. I now have an iPhone 4 and I personally find it very accurate with the $10 app from Groundspeak. I'd say 99% of the time the GPS in the phone gets me within 10-20 feet of the cache. But I live in metro Atlanta and generally have full service wherever I go.

TRG-

I am looking at gettting a 3GS Iphone to supplement my handheld GPS. Is the $10 app purchase a "one time" charge, or monthly?

I have just upgraded to the iphone 4 and I have the 2gb plan. I have not got a months bill yet but I think it will not be to much.

I have a Garmin Etrex that was my geocaching machine. Since the iphone 4 my etrex has sat in my bag. I am thinking of selling it on craigslist. There is nothing more than an iphone that you need to cache well(unless it is raining)

I get as close and as fast with the iphone and it gives me the hints and recent cache logs on the fly. there is nothing better. I prefer to find the cache with out hints or looking at the recent logs. If I spend more than 30 minutes in a search i look at the hint. then if I can not find it I look at the recent posts. It is the only way to cache IMHO.

Walked in circles with my Tom-Tom, got a new I phone and tried it, now I get within a foot most of the time except under trees, then its a little slow.

Yes I've noticed my iPhone 4 does struggle when there is tree cover. I found on one recent trip I had to slow down and walk very very slowly to allow it to catch up but it eventually got me to the right place. But I think pretty much all GPS units have issues under tree cover.

The problem is mostly with network coverage rather than data usage, where I live (North East England) it's mostly fine in town but if you get even slightly out into the countryside then coverage is patchy to say the least! - Not what you'd expect for such a densely populated area.