Lost & Found nominations

A simple question...

I've nominated a few logs for addition to the Lost & Found section, either because they were very well written, or funny, or they told a good geocaching tale.

When a log is nominated in this way is any sort of notification sent to either the log writer or the cache owner to let them know?

I see these nominations as a way to encourage good logs and, to some extent, to encourage cachers to place caches that will generate such logs - but it's not an effective stimulus if people don't realise their log has been appreciated in this way.

MrsB

A simple question...

I've nominated a few logs for addition to the Lost & Found section, either because they were very well written, or funny, or they told a good geocaching tale.

When a log is nominated in this way is any sort of notification sent to either the log writer or the cache owner to let them know?

I see these nominations as a way to encourage good logs and, to some extent, to encourage cachers to place caches that will generate such logs - but it's not an effective stimulus if people don't realise their log has been appreciated in this way.

MrsB

I've had one of mine nominated, it was a long story a few paragraphs long (70% of my logs are that long...) And no, you don't get a notification, the only reason I know is the person who wanted to nominate it asked me to remove the "potty language".

the person who wanted to nominate it asked me to remove the "potty language".

Interesting... :D

Hi!

Thanks for finding my cache, and congratulations on being First to Find.

I'd like to nominate your log for the 'Lost and Found' section...

Could you remove the fact you found the coordinates to be 80 feet out, the fact it's on private property, and the fact the guard dog bit your arm?

Also if you could remove from your log the fact the container is cracked, and the log is soaked it would be appreciated!

I will then be happy to nominate your log...

Many thanks

:rolleyes:

A simple question...

MrsB

I also wondered about that. It would be nice to have an official GC mail to the log owner letting them know. I think Lost and Found is a great concept.

Yeah. I actually nominated one on a cache of mine. It was a GREAT log!!! I have heard nothing as cache owner, nor as nominator. But, after sic years, and thousands of logs on my caches, this one was the BEST!!!

I nominated one, a finder of a cache I had found a couple of days earlier (far from home, mini-vacation). I guess I did wonder in the back of my mind whethter the logee got any kind of notification. Anyone have the linky where they show you the most recent nominations?

Yeah. I actually nominated one on a cache of mine. It was a GREAT log!!! I have heard nothing as cache owner, nor as nominator. But, after sic years, and thousands of logs on my caches, this one was the BEST!!!

I nominated one, a finder of a cache I had found a couple of days earlier (far from home, mini-vacation). I guess I did wonder in the back of my mind whethter the logee got any kind of notification. Anyone have the linky where they show you the most recent nominations?

Just go to any log, click 'View', then click the 'Nominate' link underneath it.

This brings you to the Lost&Found dept.

At the top, the link "Geocacher stories and photos" gives you all the nominated logs, "My stories" gives you the ones that you, personally, have nominated for inclusion.

The "Lost&Found" stories.

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges

I may be showing my lack of brain cells here, but why is it called " Lost and Found" - wouldn't " Best Log Evar" or something else (maybe not as stupid) be more appropriate to what I THINK I'm understanding as the concept?

I guess it seemed like a catchy title to use at the time - It's supposed to be "Discovering the lost stories of geocaching"...

You can nominate your own logs? :)

I'm off to nominate all my "." and "Logged from my mobile device" logs! :D

:)

You can nominate any logs, including your own... but I do feel it might be a bit "naff" to nominate your own - A bit like logging your own caches as "Found", perhaps? :D Most of the logs I've nominated are from caches on our watchlist: We may never get to search for some of them but it's fun reading good logs from other people.

I've no idea whether anyone from the Lilypad monitors the nominated logs to weed any of out, or to take note of any particularly good caches.

MrsB

This seems like a plausible thread to post this on...

I was wondering how one reports a cache as missing (as distinct from reporting a not found). There is one cache I had found previously but since the council cut the grass it is no longer there. I can't find a way to do this. Then I spied the "Nominate lost and found logs" and thought "I wonder what that does?" Rather than click on it, in case it did something immediately, I tried to research it. But the main geocache site has no help info and search only searches for caches, not the site for help.

So I thought I'd try the forum. If you search for "Lost and found", it tells you the words are too short and it can't do it and that you should use "longer words"!!!!!! How the **** do I search for "lost and found" using longer words? That is so crass and stupid it is unbelievable. Anyway, in a fit of brilliance I tried searching for "Nominate" and ended up here.

Here I have learnt that "Nominate lost and found" has nothing to do with lost and found at all. This is the second occasion that my British use of English has come completely unstuck on Groundspeak sites - they seem to delight in using what to my mind are inappropriate words.

But there you go. Geocaching itself is fun though. Cheers.

I was wondering how one reports a cache as missing (as distinct from reporting a not found). There is one cache I had found previously but since the council cut the grass it is no longer there. I can't find a way to do this. Then I spied the "Nominate lost and found logs" and thought "I wonder what that does?" Rather than click on it, in case it did something immediately, I tried to research it. But the main geocache site has no help info and search only searches for caches, not the site for help.

You log what is called a "Needs Maintenance" log or "Needs Archived" log. You go to the same link you would to log whether you found the cache or not. These options are two of the options in the drop down menu along with 'Found it' and 'Didn't Find it.'

'Needs Maintenance' tells the cache owner to check on the cache. 'Needs Archived' alerts the reviewer and the cache owner.

Hope that helps.

You log what is called a "Needs Maintenance" log or "Needs Archived" log. You go to the same link you would to log whether you found the cache or not. These options are two of the options in the drop down menu along with 'Found it' and 'Didn't Find it.'

'Needs Maintenance' tells the cache owner to check on the cache. 'Needs Archived' alerts the reviewer and the cache owner.

Hope that helps.

Helps a lot. Thanks.

I nominate this post, for one of the better posts I've read on the forums! :D

So I thought I'd try the forum. If you search for "Lost and found", it tells you the words are too short and it can't do it and that you should use "longer words"!!!!!! How the **** do I search for "lost and found" using longer words? That is so crass and stupid it is unbelievable. Anyway, in a fit of brilliance I tried searching for "Nominate" and ended up here.

Here I have learnt that "Nominate lost and found" has nothing to do with lost and found at all. This is the second occasion that my British use of English has come completely unstuck on Groundspeak sites - they seem to delight in using what to my mind are inappropriate words.

But there you go. Geocaching itself is fun though. Cheers.

:);)